The pandy's insomnia club

Lis

In a word, turn off the computer.  No matter what.  No matter how untired you are, don't go back to the computer.  All it does is make you stay up even longer "arguing" with a friend at 3am whether or not the smilies on msn messanger really animate or not.  Eventually you will find out that you are not nuts, they do move and your friend never bothered to upgrade to the latest version.  *Ahem*  It's good to get stuff like that sorted out, but it doesn't help you fall asleep.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Ok kids- you're freaking me out- b/c I was just thinking about this as well- I go through horrible bouts of insomnia- however- I have also taken the icky road w/the otc stuff- and now I have a major league tolerance- which is not unusual b/c I know that happens- and I have always had a high tolerance- even when I was really young.  My two biggest problems are getting my damn brain to shut off, and I think some ptsd stuff- if someone breathes the wrong way- I get startled- which is so not conducive for sleep. So basically I am screwed. Poor me, lol! I don't know- I think I might finally break down and go to a shrink- which I should have done a long time ago but I don't have insurance, and blah, blah, blah. I am sure I could find a million reasons not to go- however- my hubby actually asked me how many sleeping pills I was taking per night- and he was so not impressed- which I can understand. Anyway- sorry for the rant. I am just extremely frustrated, as it seems others are as well.  As for the addictive aspect- of course, that's another scary part. I need less addictive crap in my life....... but it so easy to give in to it- ya know? Anyway- thought I would put in my two cents- sorry I don't have any tips- and I wouldn't recommend the otc route either, just to put the disclaimer on there. Well, back to work for now- take care insomniacs!

Kelly

Good post :)

I havn't read through others replies so i might be repeating some stuff.

GET SLEEPING PILLS!!!!.......no honestly....big fat strong sleeping pills :) my dr tried me on the weak ones, and has finally put me up on one of the strongest possible. It means that they put me to sleep and KEEP me asleep. It also helped me develope a new sleep pattern. I know that my body/mind etc doesn't say "hey, kiwi is asleep..wake her up!", but it did need some help..to *relearn* sleeping through.

Now, im getting nightmares...go figure....but i am falling asleep, and only waking about once. :)

NOTE: if you have problems with suicide, like i do sometimes, then give your pills to someone you trust who lives with you, who can dispense them....or only keep a few at a time, and have a friend etc who lives close by keep them.

Get some form of exercise.

I have trouble getting out of the house to go for a walk, even if i have our really butch ??? golden retriever  with me..i still get panic attacks. And we don't have a treadmill etc. So i make the most of what i can do........I RIP weeds out, i clean...and clean...and well i guess clean...but its usually something that gets my heart up...like REALLY scrubbing the carpet, cleaning windows etc.

DO NOT HAVE COFFEE OR TEA after 4pm.

Try camomile, peppermint etc etc.

Um..that mine i guess. Other wise, watch some tv in the middle of the night.......its SURE to bore you to sleep ;)

Sweet dreams everyone.

Wow, everyone seems to have posted the things I try. I'm really happy right now, because for some unknown reason, my sleep schedule just flipped completely and I'm sleeping at night again (now, if I can keep this up...).

I've had problems with insomnia since I was a kid, and the only thing I can think of to add is: Don't get mad at yourself for not sleeping. I used to spend a lot of time mad at myself and upset that I couldn't sleep, couldn't get to bed, and worried about how I would function the next day. I'd call my self all sorts of nasty names, stupid and irresponsible being the top choices. Not only did it not help, but I found I had a much easier time sleeping if I was kinder to myself and talked myself down from it. My therapist was a big help in explaining to me *why* I might have trouble sleeping, and yes, prescribing sleep medications.

Good luck!

Caitlin

Kiwi- could you PM me w/what you are taking- I have a terrifically high tolerance to stuff- I won't post how many otc pills I am taking- but it's a lot, and I know that's not super healthy- but I just go to s**t in a hurry w/o sleep = I get sick and crabby- yesterday I was so tired I kept feeling like I was going to pass out-it was an interesting day indeed. And it only takes me like one or two days w/o a lot of sleep and I am pretty worthless. I am so glad this has been a thread that has been posted on a lot- I get very frustrated- I feel defective b/c I can't f**king sleep sometimes- and people w/o this problem look at you like you have four blue horns coming out of your head!!!! (ok, that could be hallucinations from lack of sleep, lol)!!!!!!!!! Anyway- I just wanted to say how much I personally appreciate all the replies on this even tho I didn't start this thread- it's been helpful to know I am not the only one- the ususal misery loves company :) Thanks you guys- good Lord- how gushy am I today- I am tired!!!! Take care, sweet dreams!

K

Well i don't know.....but i usually sleep better when i eat before i go to bed, as long as i'm not TOO stuffed, so if you get the munchies, just go ahead and snack!

Another thing is reading....i don't know if you mentioned that or not, but it usually wears my brain down enough to make me sleep. Somewhere i heard the more bright lights you're exposed to during the day, the harder it is to sleep. My aunt also told me you can't get into a fully deep sleep unless it's completely dark.

yeah, i remember sleeping only a few hours a night if that for about a year my 8th grade and part of my 9th grade year, so i know it sucks. Normally i'd just take a sleeping pill if it got to be too much, so you might try that out once too.

Specifically, chamomile tea is great as a sleep aide, especially if you can stomach it without sugar or honey.  I personally think that the stuff is yicky, but hey, I know a lot of people that it works for.

There are certain foods that can help a little, like having turkey for dinner or a glass of milk at dinner.  There's quite a few, but I'm not sure what they all are.  Obviously this isn't a permanent solution, but if you don't like to take pills, it can help for a night or two.

If you're a smoker, quitting does wonderful things for your sleep!  For those of us like me, that can't quit, avoiding that cigarette that most people have right before bed is a great way to help with sleep.  Not only are your smokes an upper, but they can make you more prone to night mares.

There are specific yoga and tai chi routines that help you unwind.  I think living arts even puts out a 15 minute tape called PM yoga that helps the body and mind relax.

My favorite... visualization.  Put on some soft music and imagine the stess and tensionmoving from the center of your body (your solar plexis) out to your limbs, out your limbs to your hands and feet then imagine it rising like steam away from your body, or flowing out of your finger tips like water.  Concetrate on your breathing during the exercise.  Generally this will slow down your brain enough to get to sleep.

Association works well too.  You listen to the same mellow cd or hug the same stuffed animal everytime that you feel you will sleep easily and well or every time you take a sleeping pill.  Hopefully your body will learn to associate that specific thing with good sleep.  After a while, merely holding that teddy bear or listening to that music will automatically tell you body to slow down , it's sleep time.  Doesn't work for all people, but does wonders for some.

Well, that's my "anything but alcohol or OTC drugs" rant.  Those things don't work for me, so I like the holistic or psychologically based stuff.  Hope it helps.

~Dawn

i find aromtherapy helpful

i put a few drops of lavender or ylang-ylang or rose or chamomile on a tissue and stick it in my pillow case or by my pillow.

aromatherapy bubblebaths can be good too.

dora

x

Thank you for all of your replies! Currently I'm on a crazy sleep prescription (AGAIN - grr) from my psychiatrist. When I try to go back to natural sleep, I am going to try these suggestions. :) Thank you!!!

Hey, Lis?

You might want to start a routine with some of these while you're on the prescription stuff (at least, the suggestions that aren't refering to other sleep aides), so that by the time you're back to natural sleep, you've already trained your body that those things mean it's time to sleep now.

Caitlin

That's a good idea. I've been taking them at the same time every night, but it's a good idea to start some bedtime rituals so that hopefully my body will pick up the clues that it's time to sleep.

:)

Lis

Ah, but is it a fun crazy sleep med? Do you get to watch dolphins swim along your walls? Or is it the knock you out and keep you hung over kind?

Sleep cycles suck...wait, no, insomnia cycles suck sleep cycles are good. Hmm, I must need some sleep :sleepy:

:D

Rain

Ah, but is it a fun crazy sleep med?

Yes, yes it is. Although I'm currently highly annoyed with it because in my crack-addled state last night I got irate about my crappy Sprint cell phone and decided that it would be a good idea to cancel it.

So now I have to either go crawling back to Sprint or find another company. Note to self - STAY IN BED.

• 4 weeks later...

A friend gave me this thing called a Toasty Bear to help me sleep.  It's a teddy bear filled with buckwheat seeds and aromatherapy herbs (Lavender, Thyme, Lemon Balm, Hyssop, Citrus, Rosemary, Eucalyptus, Peppermint, and Rose Buds).  You pop it in the microwave for a couple of minutes and it gets warm and smells all comforting.  

I feel like a 5 year old being all excited about a new teddy bear, but it's so freakin' relaxing.  :)

If anyone's interested they have a website...

http://www.sootheze.com/toasbearprod.html

I'm sorry if this suggestion has already been posted as I didn't read all the posts (I know, I know, bad girl) but I suggest we start a Pandys Insomnia Club chat. Oh come on, you know it sounds fun  :cool:.

~Olivia~

• 4 weeks later...
Guest SweetSangria

i take chlorpromazine most nights which i take an hour before bed or temazepam which puts me to sleep for about 5-6 hrs but straight away. the chlorpromazine leaves me feeling a bit sleepy in the morning but the temaze doesnt because it only has a half life of 4 hrs.  i tend to read before bed it relaxes me the most usually while im waiting for the sleep meds to kick in. but ever since the rape happend in my room i've been finding it harder and harder to sleep and becoming more and more dependant on prescription stuff and otc stuff but not so much the latter

melissa

Wow, there are a lot of really great suggestions here, some that I think I shall definitely try.  I have always not slept well.

Usually what I do is make sure to get a lot of exercise during the day in hopes of tiring myself out...I was on Zyprexa once to help with schizophrenia and sleep issues but I couldn't stand it.  It made me sleep all the time, and what little time I was awake in, I couldn't function.  Not so good for needing to go to classes!

So I have a very elaborate routine now to help me get to sleep.  I play with my chinchillas first, I go to each cage and talk to each one, give them their scritchies and cuddle with them if they feel like it.  I tell them to be sure and be awake all night to guard the door.  Then I give them goodnight kisses.  I get into my pyjamas and go to the bathroom, wash my face, take out my contacts, brush my teeth.  I have to go pee no matter what because if I don't I won't be able to sleep.

Then I go back to my room, turn off the computer, lock the door and move my chair in front of it (I got in trouble last year for blockading my door but I can't help it, I don't feel safe unless I do) and then I shut and lock the windows.  I have the radio on quietly on the sleep function so it turns off after an hour.  I'm usually not asleep then but I have calmed enough, lying there, that I can go to sleep then.

I wake up on average of 3-4 times a night, partially due to minor crashes and cries from the furkids, partially due to night terrors and nightmares.  After the former I go back to bed, but after the latter I'm up for another hour or so if not the rest of the night.

Does anyone have any tips for getting back to sleep after a nightmare or night terror?

• 2 weeks later...

Awwww Melissa! :laugh: It's okay Gurl, i'm right here with you! --huggles-- It's about 9 a.m. and I have yet to sleep. :oo: Yeah, it IS really is aggrivating.

I joined Pandy's yesterday...and I can't describe how good it feels to have found this place, to know that i'm not alone in everything. This is such a wonderful place...Ya'll have no idea how awesome you are!

...Oh, what was I going to say?  :oops: Oh yeah! Usually, I can't sleep because my mind is going about 1,000 mph at the end of the day. It's all fine and dandy during the day because i'm busy and don't have to think about much...but when everything calms down, things aren't so good. Every single worry or fear that i've pushed into the back of my mind is just right there...and I can't get my mind to stop. It's horrible. I am usually just awake until my body crashes...and then I sleep for like 12 hours.

I was taking Seroquel but it makes me really, really groggy in the morning and gives me drymouth. I didn't know it was an antidepressant... :P My therapist told me that it was an antipsychotic which can be used as a sleepaid in small doses...but antidepressant is good.  :laugh:

The only thing that I find calming is the fishtank that's in my room. I just lay there and watch the fish, listen to the water. Oh, Cubby that's a good idea! I think i'm going to order one of those bears...probably the lavender scented ones. I bought some scented pillowcases at Super Walmart. Ya'll should look for them if you'd like. They had lemon, eucalyptus, lavender, camomile, and some other scents I can't remember. Lavender is my favorite...sooo relaxing.

• 3 weeks later...

Can I join?? Haven't slept in 72 hours. :angry:

This is so annoying. I have followed most of those suggestions lis posted earlier, except for no chocolate after 2 pm. How am I meant to put that into practice?

I went to the drugstore this arve to get something to put me to sleep but the chemist told me he wouldn't give me anything unless I go see a doctor. I am going somewhere else from now on. That was a bit rude... :angry: oh well, I had bought his supply of 'no doz' before, so I guess that's why... :glare:

What actually did make me fall asleep, although it was only for like 20 mins, was that 'smack the penguin' thing...in the middle of my bct class. WHOOPS.

Castilia

forgottenhowtofly

Not so much a way to sleep, but a way to function during the day.  Take NO DOZE.  I take it after I have had trouble sleeping.  It is an OTC drug sold to help people stay awake while driving.  It works pretty good, but be careful, if you take to much you get the the jumpy, gittery, shakes.  Regurdless of how much sleep I get at night I am always wxpected to function the next day, and this stuff helps.

jenni

i cant remember what it was that  tried, but it had really bad effects on me...it was like truth serum, and i did the oddest things, i mean really odd, and then 2hrs after takin it, i fell asleep, but cudnt wake myself up from a nitemare, and woke the house up, tryin to explain it was fun...i just lied (i hate that, i lie so much now to my parents to protect them)...they were over the counter, but ill stick to not sleepin thanks....its been i think 2 months since i had a full nites sleep....

sorry i cant give any names, but i threw them out....they sud come with a warnin...

Guest katehealer

Hi.

I use essential oils (2 drops) mixed in with lotion and rubbed on my hands and forearms about an hour before sleep.  I use Neroli.  I got it from Bath and Body Works.  Other recommended essential oils include valerian, marjoram, clary-sage, sandalwood, lemon, chamomile roman.  Lemon is probably the most resonably priced at $5. for an ounce.  I buy others reasonably priced at my local natural food store, alot cheaper than b and b w.  Two great books about essential oils is "the complete book of essential oils and aromatherapy" and "the fragrant mind: aromatherapy for personality, mind, mood, and emotion" both by Valerie Ann Worwood.  The second book addresses alot of issues that survivors of sexual trauma go through.  I bought these two books when I was at the end of my rope three years ago and the knowledge in them and the use of essential oils really helped get me through this time and work on my healing as well.  Excellent healing advice for essential oil use.  Another great way to take care of yourself, nurture yourself, and love yourself throughout your healing process.  Kate

• 1 month later...
I take tylenol PM every night, because I can't sleep otherwise because of nightmares-is that bad for you?  My roommate told me I'm going to get an ulcer or have liver problems, and I got worried, because I can't sleep without taking it...

• 3 months later...
i am on zolft for depression but i found that i helps me sleep if i take it at night.  i also find the tylonol PM works really good too, probably better than zolft accaully.