nightmares

Guest Denny

Buddhas_heart

Quinn, I would try hypnotizing I haven't personally tried it but it would be worth a try if it could help you get peaceful sleep or try meditating after you wake up from a scary dream and bring yourself to a better place

• 2 months later...
p_town_chick

I know wat u mean n ur rite about forgettin its our brains way of pirtectin itself from more trama .. Idk wat ur case is but my went from unexcepted to knowing wat will take place n most of it i cant remeber now cuz my brain wont allow me to relive it but the feeling are stronger than memory if a picture can say a million words than feeling can say ten millions words idk if u tried meditation before bed complety clear the mind if u cant then try a vigourse workout before medating its help me its not a patent therapy but it helps wit nightmare n you will remeber more of ur dream as ur not fearfull of them if that makes sense

• 2 weeks later...
blondie2002

I've been dealing with nightmares off and on since I was a kid. :(

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have nightmares they don't remember? I know I'm having them b/c I wake up freaked out and sweating. I'm new at this..hope i'm doing this correctly.

• 5 years later...
Guest TW95

You are not alone in dealing with this. I get nightmares too. They are all different situations and endings. It throws me all day - I feel frustrated and angry. It’s like a step backwards in my recovery. I’m not sure if I have anything practical to add - I probably do not handle it properly myself, but keep up the hard work battling these affects! 

• 1 month later...
Guest Cherysh

I feel it is only normal someone who has suffered a traumatic experience will have nightmares/flashbacks

In my partners case (I'm her supporter, not a victim myself) she often awakens in the night, next to me, in a blind panic. I have to hold her tightly until she calms down

Yes we are a same gender couple

• 5 months later...

I had horrible nightamares several times a week. Scream lashing our, afraid to go to sleep anxiety a hard time breathing it was just all so horrible. THen I went and did EMDR and after 1 session of prosessing the nightmares they have gone away! It was/is amazing! My recomedation would be to do EMDR!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest anonymous272

Sleep is horrendous for me. I wake up screaming and crying, desperate to die multiple times a week. I feel him inside me

1 hour ago, Guest anonymous272 said:

Sleep is horrendous for me. I wake up screaming and crying, desperate to die multiple times a week. I feel him inside me

I am sorry sleep is so difficult. You are not alone in having the horrible nightmares and waking up in such distress.When you physically feel something, it could be a body memory. I am concerned that you are feeling like you want to die. I hope you will reach out for some in-person support or call a crisis line for support if you need to.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dani0505

Guest - I am afraid to go to sleep too!! I have horrible dreams of being raped and tortured. I often can't breathe in them. I am an adult and get so freaked out that I even hide under the covers. I don't have any advice sorry. Idk how to cope with them either. I just wanted to let u know I relate, I believe you, and u are not alone. Take care. Oh, and I've tried meds for it too but it hasn't helped. Bye now. Hang in there.

• 2 months later...
Guest Forlorn angel

The stigma.. ... living with it 

HELLO. I am new here and I had to tell you that I have been going through the exact same thing for years/decades now. I wake up screaming out at night from nightmares  and have day terrors as well with racing thoughts. I can't stand to be around myself. I have anxiety meds they help but don't make it go away for good I need another ",happy pill" so I can PRETEND it didn't happen and smile right on Que.. The stigma gets tiresome ...I tried not to talk about it ...for years didn't tell anyone. No one was ever charged. I was scared. And it happened again like the word victim was written all over my face or something. Once I was ready to talk about it and confided in some close friends, the thought floods started and from that moment I had picked up a stigma ...I get mentally raped and every perverted thing begins to torment me ....is it because I didn't report it and people think I liked it? Idk but they would be wrong in their thinking. It is a stigma that I did not have until I started telling others. I realize now that I should be able to see who they are not the other way around    like victimizer should be written all over their faces. So I lock my door stay inside ... Live alone because I can't trust anyone when I am asleep.  I seek therapy and try to STAY CALM. I was given rufenol which causes burst of rage    not good...now I have ptsd anxiety and panic... Depression is getting worse I suffer from insomnia and like you nightmares and daymares. I do not have as much enthusiasm as I once did but I am still motivated and ambitious and recently enrolled in a billing and coding degree program. The future is NOW!!!!! GRAB THE REINS AND HEAD FOR YOUR DESTINATION. WE ARE ALL TOO SMART FOR THIS ABUSE AND TORMENT TO KEEP US FROM A BRIGHTER FUTURE 

Peace and love

• 1 month later...
Guest AdventureBound23

Hello everyone,

I am brand new here and wanted to add my two cents to this thread. I too deal with nightmares ever since my trauma occurred over a decade ago. I have tried everything from being on specific diets to several natural remedies. I have also been to see a psychologist a long time ago, but I wasn’t ready to talk about what had happened at that point in time. I embarked on a self healing journey almost two years ago now and myself is finally ready to tackle what happened now. As far as nightmares go, when I had my partner I was with that was the only thing that helped me to sleep knowing someone is physically in the room with me and won’t let anything happen. I would still have the nightmares, but she would wake me up or hold/comfort me. I unfortunately no longer have my partner and I am back to not sleeping hardly at all. I would suggest even if you don’t have a partner if you could confide in a very close friend or relative to even just have in the room with you as a safety blanket per say. Knowing someone is physically present in the room provides a comfort that I myself can’t describe. Animals of course are very comforting too if that is a possibility for you. If any of you have any other suggestions I would love your feedback. Thank you and may the sweetest of dreams come our way!

• 8 months later...

I can’t stop having nightmares related to what happened or I don’t remember but wake up terrified. It’s waking me up and making it hard to try to focus during the day after them, or wake up fully. I feel exhausted after them. What can I do to stop them?

31 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

I can’t stop having nightmares related to what happened or I don’t remember but wake up terrified. It’s waking me up and making it hard to try to focus during the day after them, or wake up fully. I feel exhausted after them. What can I do to stop them?

Nightmares and interrupted sleep is something i deal with even after so many years of healing.  They definitely do not throw me off as much as they used to. How to make them stop. Well I don't know that answer however I have learned ways to care for myself when experiencing them. I shared about them here and many have offered kind support and suggestions on self care. 

For myself I have found that having a trauma therapist is helpful. As once I address the nightmares and process what is happening with my therapist they seem to slow and become less frequent.  While having nightmares I practice intense self care. Doing things that are calming and soothing for me a hot bath with essential oils and Epsom salts. Works. Sometimes I'll heat up a rice sack to hold. Lots of positive self talk to reassure myself I'm safe now and that the dreams are not real life. 

I'm sorry I can't help more. Thank you for reaching out. Here in gentle support. 

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry you're struggling with this @GuestNightmares. I have mantras that I will say before I go to sleep that seem to help me. I'll remind myself that I'm safe or "invite" my dreams to tell me what they want me to know. It helps me feel like I have some control and my nightmares have eased over the years. I hope you get some rest.:metoyou: