New Forum?

WinterRosie

Hi WR,

The moderating team will be glad to consider the need for a password protected for Trans*.  Thanks for raising the issue. :)

Take care,

Susan

Hey WinterRosie

Thanks for your patience while we discussed this further. At this stage, we don't believe there is a need for a password-protected forum for trans members. The reason for this is that at this time, we haven't really had much correspondence from members to show there is a demand for a forum for Trans members, across a broad range of members. There are places online which serve Trans people more specifically, and have a much larger membership of people who identify as Trans.

While we definitely are not against creating such a sub-forum, at this time it's a matter of balancing a request for new forums while at the same time, limiting the expansion of forums so as not to become so specific that they actually restrict the amount of support a member receives, rather than increase it (we really try to avoid creating forums where people post but don't receive any replies simply because the level of 'traffic' in that forum is sparse).

However, we will definitely be keeping your request in mind, and we hope to hear from any members who are also interested in having such a forum (and would actively use it) - this will help inform us as to whether creating a sub-forum for trans members is a feasible idea. It's best to send a PM to any board mod, so we can more easily keep a track of the requests.

Thanks!

Kate (and the board mods)

I think a password protected Trans/Gender Non-Conforming forum is potentially a very helpful and healing idea as well, and I really appreciate that it is being considered by the Mods. Though I know that there are many wonderful, supportive forums here where trans/gnc members can find compassionate help and community, I think that it's also a valuable idea to provide a more secure safe space for folks to discuss more sensitive topics within the trans/gnc survivor community completely free from the risk of transphobia. Though it may not have significant amounts of traffic, it could help Pandy's feel safer both for Trans folks who would need that forum's sense of safety and for others who could be triggered by certain topics floating around the boards (I know surgery has been one of these topics, for example). In my experience, I have seen some cis members mention being triggered by certain trans-focused issues and have since struggled to balance openly expressing myself with not upsetting those cis survivors who feel uncomfortable with these necessary discussions. Having a specific forum available for trans/gnc members would ameliorate this issue and give people more room to heal and express themselves holistically and openly. Additionally, I think the password protected forum is an excellent idea to give members who are not comfortable being out in the general boards for whatever reason a private place to speak their truths with less fear or shame. Lastly, even if a specific trans forum is not added for traffic reasons, perhaps there could be a trans resources pin on the LGBT board so folks can receive and share information on survivor-friendly social and medical transitioning, self care for dysphoria, legal resources, etc? The general LGBT resources pin is excellent, but it could literally save someone's life to be able to access trans-specific resources quickly instead of searching through the wonderfully lengthy collection of general LGBT resources, so I thought I'd pitch the idea. 

Thank you for considering the new forum, for letting me add my two cents, and for all you do for Pandy's every day!

Hi LovelyHealing,

We always welcome feedback from members.  As Kate's already said we don't believe there is a need for this subforum at this time but we will keep the idea in mind.  The lack of traffic in any forum leaves posts unanswered and no one feels good about that.  There are also other Trans specific communities available online which may be of use for members here too. 

Please PM a board moderator or post in the Help Desk if you or anyone else would like to suggest some Trans resources. We'll have to check out the links first but then we'll be glad to pin a thread in the LGBT forum.

Take gentle care,

Susan 

Hey LovelyHealing

Thank you for your input, it is appreciated. As Susan mentioned, we can definitely add some trans-specific resources to the LGBT forum - if you (or any other members) have online resources that you think would be helpful to add to a pinned thread, please PM me or any other moderator to let us know. I am not familiar with online resources for people who identify as trans (and I don't think the other board mods are either), so we would really appreciate any suggestions members have! Just send any of us a PM :)

Thanks,

Kate