Reporting Sexual Assualt

kataroo

Here is a basic step-by-step guide on the initial process in reporting sexual assault (from EHow's Guide on How to Report a Rape)

Rape is a horrible sex crime that affects many people. Unfortunately these crimes often go unreported. Victims may feel powerless and afraid to report the sex crime, but there are people available to help. It's important to report a rape as soon as possible. If you experience a rape, here are some steps to help you report it.

Step 1

Decide what you want to do. Once a rape has happened, it's your choice as to what course of action you want to take. Do not let anyone pressure you into doing something that you do not want to do. You may feel a relief if you decide to report the sex crime.

Step 2

Go as you are. You may feel the impulse to shower and throw away the clothes that you were wearing when a rape happens, but resist the urge. This will preserve any evidence that is on your body and clothes.

Step 3

Visit your local medical facility. Make this visit as soon as possible. Know that there will be an examination performed. When you arrive let the medical personnel that you are a victim of a rape and ask them to contact the police.

Step 4

Make a statement to the police. If you feel embarrassed, remember that police are there to help you. Try to be as detailed as possible and don't leave anything out.

Step 5

Seek help. It is common to suffer from emotional trauma after a sex crime. The hospital and police will put you in contact with rape advocates or counselors that will help you cope with your ordeal.

Additional Resources

See Pandy's Pursuing Legal Action forum

• 1 year later...

Hi I was ahh,well raped also but I was made to go down on the guy. N belive me when I say I was scared n saw worse things happening in my head since this wasn't the first time I was raped. But my question is what are the steps for a oral rape.....if there is such thing....wow I said that...I'm a newborn also....I just joined yesterday. .don't know much bout much on here or if I said to much or not... would appreciate some guidance if possible. ..thanxn.....silenttears...

Silenttears,

I am so sorry that happened to you. I just wanted to let you know that you should do the same thing for o*al r as you would for any other kind of r. Some states just say that was sexual assault, while others do call it o*al r, so it depends on where you live. I was o*ally r almost four months ago. It is up to you if you want to report it. I waited almost three months before I reported it to the police. Good luck in what you decide to do. I am here if you ever want to talk.

I am trying to report um report it. Believe me when I say I am def scared with this whole process of knowing if I am doing The right thing. I hope I am doing The right thing in reporting this to the right authorizes. It is going to b really trying I know that much. N I know I am going to need a lot of support so thank u J. From silenttears.

I can understand that, It took me a few days to get up the courage to report it. (I had to tell my mom and she helped me report it.) Unfortuneatly, I "did" shower but I didn't touch my b**ing (it happened in my room :bawling: )

Archived