The_Moderators

Chat as a crisis line

11 posts in this topic

This board, and the chat room, are for survivors to come together to help each other. Very few people on this board are trained therapists, and even those who are don't use the space to provide therapy for others, but to get support for themselves.

We know that as survivors things can get really rough, and we might need the help of a professional from time to time. Seeking that help can be scary, and it's easier to talk to people you know and feel you can trust.

However, we cannot allow chat to be used as a crisis line. This is extremely unfair to fellow chatters, who are left feeling helpless and terrified when they realize how little they can do to make the situation better. Sometimes just being there for each other isn't enough. Further, these chatters aren't trained as counselors or emotionally able to handle these situations.

Because of this, we need to reiterate an important rule for this board and the chat room. If you are in crisis, you NEED to seek professional help.  We define "in crisis" as being actively suicidal, harming yourself through cutting, or feeling or acting in a way that requires the assistance of a professional, like a police officer, mental health worker or physican.

If you are in chat and are in crisis, you will be asked to call a crisis line.  If you refuse to do so, you may be asked to leave chat. This might seem (and indeed is) harsh, but it is vital to the health of everyone on this board - both those struggling and those attempting to help.  If you are in need of professional help, you won't find it in chat because that is not what chat is designed for.  Your pain will be prolonged because chatters don't know how to help effectively, and we might even lose an important member of our family.  Chatters trying to help are left feeling downright horrible - emotionally drained, angry that they couldn't do more, fearful of what their online friend might be doing.

We don't want this to make you feel like you cannot talk to friends about what you're feeling. You CAN and are indeed encouraged to.  However, when your feelings cross the line and cause active fear for your well-being or even life, chat is no longer a useful tool for you.

Thanks so much for understanding.  We really want chat to be safe and emotionally healing for everyone.

The Moderators

perhaps this would be a good place to put the phone numbers?

can you use the chat as a place for medical conversations?

Defluo.

It is okay to discuss any medical issues you may have - as long as you are not in crisis and in immediate need of medical attention. It is also not okay to solicit or offer medical advice because no one is qualified to do that here. However, if it is discussing how you feel about your medical issues then that is acceptable.

Hope this answers your question.

I have a medical question. Im affaid if i go forward with medical attention. They will call the police.

Police or not, I think your physical health is very important. I hope you are able to obtain the medical treatment you're in need of.

RAINN has a chat hotline which is incredibly good. I've used them a lot and have never regretted reaching out with them.

2 people like this

I've used RAINN's chatroom once. It was great. It's especially helpful because I have social anxiety and will sometimes become mute when trying to talk about sexual trauma.

1 person likes this

Here's a link to our crisis support resources - numbers, chat lines and websites. :)

2 people like this

I've used RAINN's chatroom once. It was great. It's especially helpful because I have social anxiety and will sometimes become mute when trying to talk about sexual trauma.

thanks Bridges&Rain and Xenokind for telling us about this site. I'm like Xenokind in that I have a lot of difficulty talking about the sexual trauma from my childhood years, but find it easier to write about, so a chatline would feel safer to me. (My T is forever telling me to "use your words" because I seize up and can't talk for long whiles at a time.