Anybody else have weird triggers?

Guest MRamer87

Hi,

First time I thought to be apart of something like this... I don't know why.

I'm just realizing my triggers but I have a few that I can help so I think they're weird. 

- swimming

- old red Ford trucks

- elderly men

- large crowds and grocery stores

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SurvivingTheStorm

• lucy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

on my road trip, i got triggered everytime i saw a motorcycle.  ugh.  so i thought, ok, maybe i should do a posting about current triggers that im dealing with, and maybe others would like to record t

^ I tried to become as un-feminine as I could. I buzzed my hair off, wore unisex clothes and restricted my eating to look less curvy. So I can relate to being scared of looking conventionally attracti

The sound of a bath being filled. Doctors offices Male B.O. home videos Eskimo kisses. There is something very brave about sharing triggers. I have related to SO much of what

Guest dollloverartsy
On 6/5/2004 at 7:49 AM, Jennifer said:

Hmm.  I think most of mine are pretty standard, but I do have a weird one.  Brad Pitt.  I can not stand to watch any movie he is in.  However, the movie responsible for my hatred towards him also had Gwyneth Paltrow and Morgan Freeman in it.  I have no problem with them, just Brad!

Leaves changing colors and falling triggers me also.  Luckily I am moving within a year, so I'll have at least one autumn without foliage.  Not this one, though.

hands on laps

me wanting a relationship 

loud voices

people staring constantly

men

feeling trapped

www.survivormuralproject.com/

Guest whosaidthatarts
On 6/5/2004 at 7:40 AM, bloogirl said:

on my road trip, i got triggered everytime i saw a motorcycle.  ugh.  so i thought, ok, maybe i should do a posting about current triggers that im dealing with, and maybe others would like to record their current triggers.  in a way, maybe it can acknowledge the passage of time in the healing process.

current triggers:

motorcycles

anyone bald and/or blue eyed

anyone touching me

any talk of sexual matters

any risk of flirting or dating

any risk of being abandoned somewhere (Not sure why)

leather jackets

egads. im not sure if this is helpful or not. :(  i guess it is just really important for me to record that when i was on my road trip, i saw a lot of motorcycles and every time, didnt matter where i was, i thought, 'oh no, that could be him'.

www.survivormuralproject.com/ listed very similar points in 2017. I loved it. Thank you.

• 1 month later...
Guest JBMidwife

I just learned about this site from another one of my father's victims. This is the first thread I opened. Something about hearing about him hurting someone he wasn't related to made me sadder than I ever have been about myself. I was raised to believe I was his property, so to me entitled. The earliest I recall I was about three years old. Always in the shower.

Showers, for so long so difficult, and now I can enjoy them. Keep healing!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lymypets

So many things!  Constantly!

The light outside when it's afternoon, a few hrs before sunset.  It is very specific, very triggering.  I get a feeling in my gut and chest, maybe soon or dread.  Anyway it's incredibly annoying and disruptive, it's around the time I pick my kids up.  It's especially bad if it's coming through the window and its filtered light, I shut my curtains, drive people nuts because I can't explain to them.  It makes me sound crazy to sayit.  But its so bad feel like I'm going to.throw up.  And I'm a photographer and that light is desirable for photographers.  But if I wait a little while it's much better or if I go in shade during that time.   

Also smells of body odor, Turkey cooking, Dusty mildew smell, sometimes coffee breath.

Certain innocent people who have facial or voice similarities.  

I'm extremely jumpy to being touched.  Etc.

DesperatelySearching

Any kind of hushed or whispered reassurance. etc. like... 

Spoiler

"Relax..."

"Shhhh, its ok. You're ok"

"Shhhh...calm down."

"Stop. I'm not going to hurt you."

etc.

• 1 month later...
Guest SkeletonWitch

Grey carpet. If it is dirty even worse.

The word r*pe and penetration

Seeing a message from him

Dick jokes

Anything related to oral or anal

Talking about it

Thinking about the std tests I need to get

November (both my incidents were in november)

Thinking about the stupid smug look on his face

Thinking how he kept egging everyone to drink

Arabic singing (by a guy)

Every time I take a sh*t/my *sshole itches (seriously wtf) (worried about mini injuries)

The idea of getting a massage or having anyone touch me besides a hug or equivalent from a friend.

Not all create panic and Im sure Ive yet to discover some as my most recent assault was very recent. Havent had time to stop thinking about it or get randomly triggered

• 1 month later...

Being found sexually attractive 

People putting the arm rest up next to me in a cinema

People sending sexual messages (especially when I'm clearly not engaging)

Being kissed/someone wanting to kiss me

Being referred to as a "space heater" or similar (I have a high natural body temp) 

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Sage20
On 6/4/2004 at 11:40 PM, bloogirl said:

on my road trip, i got triggered everytime i saw a motorcycle.  ugh.  so i thought, ok, maybe i should do a posting about current triggers that im dealing with, and maybe others would like to record their current triggers.  in a way, maybe it can acknowledge the passage of time in the healing process.

current triggers:

certain gas stations

Pizza from cici's

its not just the actual things but what they represent I get hit all the time with both the good and the bad memories and it hurts

Guest GirlUnderWater

I do have a few weird triggers. Goldschlagger, cold showers, and this song Dr Feel Good. There were lots of songs we listened to before he assaulted me but something about that song stuck. I freak every time I hear it. Really grateful for therapy that I’m not triggered by being alone, the dark, unfilled space in my home or needing a nap

• 5 months later...
Guest Naamah

Some of my triggers include: 

teenage boys in general 

when boys give their girlfriends their sweatshirts 

obviously seeing my rapist (he goes to my school)

HazelButterfly

Some off the top of my head:

Blue bottle of Ciroc.

My highschool. I avoid driving that route as much as possible.

School tables - specifically, the ones with black tops and regular wood bottoms.

The model car my teacher drove.

Certain compliments about my physical appearance.

Someone playfully hiding something behind their back.

Anyone whispering directly in my ear.

Any shows, jokes, etc that talk about teacher-student relationships. I either leave the room or dissociate immediately.

Slang words for privates and breasts. I get a sick feeling in my stomach, and get angry.

Hearing the phrases, “dirty girl”, “your so sexy”, “let it happen”, “good girl”(even when people say it to a dog, I cringe)

Men in white sleeveless tees

Being pinned down during sex, even if playfully.

Anyone standing too close behind me

A man grunting or heavily breathing

Anyone breastfeeding (I know... I feel embarrassed about this one. It’s supposed to be something natural and maternal, but my rapist was sadistic and made me... I can’t bring myself to say it)

Guest Unwanted

Tiles

Massage 

Talk about me behind my back not to me

Hairdressers 

Towel over the face

Medical 

Power imbalance 

Being dependent 

Being trapped

Big men

Fake smiles

Questions

Being disbelieved

Being powerless, impotent

Knowing of cruelty  and  unkindness  and power abuse and horrible things I can't  do anything about

23 minutes ago, Guest Ccc said:

What is this forum for? I'm a rape victim

Guest, you may want to join as a full member. We are here for you as a safe, supportive community. What is available to Guests is very little of the whole site. I hope you will join us.

Take care,

Jenny

• 1 month later...
Guest 49796

Triggers are what brought me to Pandy’s so maybe if I voice my own I’ll find some form of relief from this weight on my shoulders. 

*Pedophilia/Sexual abuse or rape -Recently I’ve been seeing a lot from social media about this in forms of awareness and how-to look for signs or teach your children. Well, this is what motivated me to seek an online community with high hopes of possibly finding some enlightenment on how to move past that part of my past... this particular trigger appears in movies, shows, as well as the news and every time I come across it I have flashbacks which makes me feel pathetic, helpless and depressed creating more feelings of resentment, shame, and guilt. Then I try methods of distraction, it goes away, but comes back to taunt me with the next trigger.

*Any caress to my stomach or sternum

*Sunny days with short moments of darkness from cloud shadows 

*The movie Speed

*Crawl space rooms

*Oddly enough, a new one was Haunting of the Hill House show on Netflix. During one of the episodes one of the characters who is a social worker determines the source of a little boys nightmares. This nightmare seemed almost like fantasy and imagined until the character laid in the little boys bed and looked up to the ceiling, and with her intuitive abilities she gathered the monster that he describe from his recurring nightmare was a form of disassociation his mind created the moment(s) he was being sexually abused. I cried so hard during this realization in the show because I came to my own realization. I realized that my recurring childhood nightmares that would leave me sleepless for months may have been exactly that... A way to escape reality. 

Guest Portland

being filmed, photographed and Skype calls, I found a treatment called eye movement desensitized and reprocessing. I had a crying meltdown on a Skype call with a bunch of business associates.  The therapy treatment is helping but still tough.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Kate
On 6/15/2012 at 8:25 PM, Eveyl said:

- handsome guys

- guys who work out

- every man actually

- every kind of touching ( especially grabbing wrist or neck)

- hugs

- dark blue sheets

- white plastic bags

- minority report the movie

- dirty dancing music

- red cars

- motocycles

- rabbits

- key noises

- ravioli pastas

- male talking to me

- my period

- male trying to flirt with me

- trains

- big mirrors

- sexual content in movies/conversation

- his name

- some dark grey sofa

- buddha statues

- sink

- doing the dishes

- ringbell

- cigarette smoke

- Some kind of tatoos

- candies

- some radio station

- some yoga poses like lying on the back doing yogi breathnwith eyes closed

- green balls or balloons

- gun ( even in photo, movie or in policeman pocket)

- me... ( looking at me on the mirror)

- the word "princess"

I know its been a long time since you posted. I am new, so just to say mirror's and the word "princess" for me too. I hope the years since this post have been kinder to you. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.