Anybody else have weird triggers?

hilary

Guest Basil2340

Boxing, blue eyes, swords, athletic thighs, red baseball caps, pressure on my chest, facial expressions of a person exerting strength, male sex sounds, certain gaits, rape scenes. Had a really rough day today.

People standing too close behind me

Loud noise

repetative noise 

sleeping closest to the door

going out to drink with friends 

Scenes on tv 

Stories on the news

People talking about sexual assault 

Guest Lea92

The more I think about this the more triggers I realize I have. 

earthy colones

thin lips

big glasses

Talk of "alleged"  rape victims in the media that cast doubt on the accuser

anything by Oakley the athletic company

libraries

bunk beds

Jean shorts

Turning my back to the door while sleeping alone

Rape or assault scenes in movies

News stories about young girls raped at parties

• 2 months later...

Happy people and children...

Ed Sheeran,  can't listen to him, I can get panic attacks

I can't watch most tv that has a lot of violence or sexual assault of any sort.  

DID as seen in popular culture,  mental health portrayals in general. 

We have DID and feel personally attacked by those common attitudes 

PTSD as popularized as exclusively for war veterans.  Yes, it is horrible and they do suffer a great deal,  but so do all us others with PTSD. We are just as valid.  

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely most of us have triggers. It is good to know I am not alone and neither are you.

My current triggers are: rude and bossy people. It takes me back to times when I felt I was not good enough.   

• 1 month later...
Guest Guestgirl

I really appreciate this idea:

This tree outside my house

Rope

Croquet hooks

Red trucks

White T-shirt’s 

Ring pops

Camera flashes in the dark

Being grabbed/hugged from behind

Period cramps

My period in general makes my flashbacks and things worse. Probably something to do with the hormones and blood. Anyone else have this problem?

• 3 months later...

My neck.

During my assault my neck was repeatedly kissed, and now my partner can't even so much as poke my neck without me flinching hard and feeling like I'm going to be strangled. It's really strange.

EsperanzaRising

Sloths.... it’s because of that stupid rap*st sloth meme from middle school 

4 hours ago, numbandyetawake said:

Oh my God yes! I once called the police on a man stalking me at Starbucks and told them I had PTSD. The cops showed up and imediatley asked what branch I served. I was pissed! I yelled at them "PTSD isn't only with veterans you know! Sexual abuse and assault surviors have it too!". I was so pissed off I had to go for a drive after that.

That would be a very aggravating thing to have happen, I'm sorry. Going for drives is a coping tool I often use too. 

Guest Survivor26

Please forgive me if i've chosen the wrong thread to post. I found this forum today. Many threads seem to have not been posted on in 10 years, so I searched for an active one. I'm currently limited in my access.. during registration it said I am "awaiting approval." But I need connection now if it exists.

I am constantly triggered right now by so many things, MANY of which others would absolutely call weird, as the one-year anniversary of my terrifying sexual assault is quickly approaching on 2/13.

I don't want to leave my house. I'm constantly on the verge of tears. The memories are constant. I feel SO incredibly alone, and yet I'm isolating. (However I am getting good professional help.) I'm anxious, panic-stricken, feeling agoraphobic. I hardly feel safe anywhere at all. I sometimes force myself to get out, but it's overwhelming & stressful & exhausting. I've told a few people, but they aren't comfortable with the subject, which just makes it worse to have told them.

I'll stop here. I needed so much to reach out & this is the first place I found. I hope this was an appropriate post. I need connection with others who understand. Thank you.

glitterandcupcakes
On 1/27/2019 at 7:35 PM, Guest Survivor26 said:

Please forgive me if i've chosen the wrong thread to post. I found this forum today. Many threads seem to have not been posted on in 10 years, so I searched for an active one. I'm currently limited in my access.. during registration it said I am "awaiting approval." But I need connection now if it exists.

I am constantly triggered right now by so many things, MANY of which others would absolutely call weird, as the one-year anniversary of my terrifying sexual assault is quickly approaching on 2/13.

I don't want to leave my house. I'm constantly on the verge of tears. The memories are constant. I feel SO incredibly alone, and yet I'm isolating. (However I am getting good professional help.) I'm anxious, panic-stricken, feeling agoraphobic. I hardly feel safe anywhere at all. I sometimes force myself to get out, but it's overwhelming & stressful & exhausting. I've told a few people, but they aren't comfortable with the subject, which just makes it worse to have told them.

I'll stop here. I needed so much to reach out & this is the first place I found. I hope this was an appropriate post. I need connection with others who understand. Thank you.

I relate a lot to your post. I took force myself to venture out. I think its important at least for me to remember that pushing myself gets things done....its how I've survived but its OK to take time for yourself. of course its hard to balance caring for yourself and doing what needs done. I am trying to learn that I can't be all and do all. I try to remember my best will vary day to day. 

Some people can't deal and that's OK. It doesn't mean they don't care. Feeling safe is a major issue for me as well. Mainly I maintain feeling safe by going out with my mom and sister or hiding within myself. That's how I get through the day. Don't know if its "good practice" but that's what I do.

Stay safe and be kind to yourself

• 3 months later...
Guest survive then thrive

I've been I've been thinking a lot about this lately because I had a major multiple trigger experience when someone who was in my home packing my things found some sexual products that I had put in my night table and they not covered ottoman the worst is a photo that I had taken to heal the feelings of helplessness and fear from my childhood sexual abuse where I was holding a whip and I was looking intense - I was symbolically taking back my power. The joke was somebody took it and put it on the fridge like it was a postcard. I'm being very sarcastic when I say the "joke" sarcastically because I think it probably was a joke to the people who did it. I can't bear to think that somebody was being predatory and they might stalk me. There's something about having someone in your home trusted with access to all your things who takes your personal belongings and sexualizes them. So right now I'm not staying at my home. I see my bed and I walked by the fridge when I visit and I go numb and I feel emotional after so it's safe to say that going back to my home. Is triggering. 

I heard Sexual Healing and others and felt dirty and embarrassed

- Walking in dark outside with someone behind me, even far

-  coming across and then in his fifties with a balding head who looks like what I called greasy which is suspicious. This is not surprising because my mom's boyfriends we're in that age range. Unfortunately I'm coming into that age range and those are the men I meet I want nothing to do with 

-  hearing sounds while I'm in the dark in the bed trying to sleep 

-  a man touching me even my arm when I wasn't expecting it  When I'm trying to make love and the man is above me 

-  feeling like I have no choice or that I'm trapped 

-  sometimes for no reason I have this feeling of my mouth being full and sometimes I specifically remember the feeling of a penis being forced into it

-  there's more but now I'm feeling triggered by writing about my triggers so I'll sign off.

thank you for giving me a safe space to talk about this. Lynn Marie

The latest trigger I had of an intense flashback that unrolled another 2 flashbacks. Was I was going to sleep and the cat jumped on the bed walked up to pass my head and swung his tail around smacking my face.. bam I was gone into another place. Hyperventilating. 

• 2 weeks later...
Bellatrix863

- Clubbing, drinking, dancing with men

- Being hit on

- Being followed

- Back massages

- Gynecological procedures

- Short and heavy men

- Black beards

- Not anymore since I disclosed: sweet messages or attentions from my boyfriend (used to make me feel like a dirty cheater who didn't deserve him)

• 1 month later...
Guest MRamer87

Hi,

First time I thought to be apart of something like this... I don't know why.

I'm just realizing my triggers but I have a few that I can help so I think they're weird. 

- swimming

- old red Ford trucks

- elderly men

- large crowds and grocery stores

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dollloverartsy
On 6/5/2004 at 7:49 AM, Jennifer said:

Hmm.  I think most of mine are pretty standard, but I do have a weird one.  Brad Pitt.  I can not stand to watch any movie he is in.  However, the movie responsible for my hatred towards him also had Gwyneth Paltrow and Morgan Freeman in it.  I have no problem with them, just Brad!

Leaves changing colors and falling triggers me also.  Luckily I am moving within a year, so I'll have at least one autumn without foliage.  Not this one, though.

hands on laps

me wanting a relationship 

loud voices

people staring constantly

men

feeling trapped

www.survivormuralproject.com/

Guest whosaidthatarts
On 6/5/2004 at 7:40 AM, bloogirl said:

on my road trip, i got triggered everytime i saw a motorcycle.  ugh.  so i thought, ok, maybe i should do a posting about current triggers that im dealing with, and maybe others would like to record their current triggers.  in a way, maybe it can acknowledge the passage of time in the healing process.

current triggers:

motorcycles

anyone bald and/or blue eyed

anyone touching me

any talk of sexual matters

any risk of flirting or dating

any risk of being abandoned somewhere (Not sure why)

leather jackets

egads. im not sure if this is helpful or not. :(  i guess it is just really important for me to record that when i was on my road trip, i saw a lot of motorcycles and every time, didnt matter where i was, i thought, 'oh no, that could be him'.

www.survivormuralproject.com/ listed very similar points in 2017. I loved it. Thank you.

• 1 month later...
Guest JBMidwife

I just learned about this site from another one of my father's victims. This is the first thread I opened. Something about hearing about him hurting someone he wasn't related to made me sadder than I ever have been about myself. I was raised to believe I was his property, so to me entitled. The earliest I recall I was about three years old. Always in the shower.

Showers, for so long so difficult, and now I can enjoy them. Keep healing!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lymypets

So many things!  Constantly!

The light outside when it's afternoon, a few hrs before sunset.  It is very specific, very triggering.  I get a feeling in my gut and chest, maybe soon or dread.  Anyway it's incredibly annoying and disruptive, it's around the time I pick my kids up.  It's especially bad if it's coming through the window and its filtered light, I shut my curtains, drive people nuts because I can't explain to them.  It makes me sound crazy to sayit.  But its so bad feel like I'm going to.throw up.  And I'm a photographer and that light is desirable for photographers.  But if I wait a little while it's much better or if I go in shade during that time.   

Also smells of body odor, Turkey cooking, Dusty mildew smell, sometimes coffee breath.

Certain innocent people who have facial or voice similarities.  

I'm extremely jumpy to being touched.  Etc.

DesperatelySearching

Any kind of hushed or whispered reassurance. etc. like... 

Spoiler

"Relax..."

"Shhhh, its ok. You're ok"

"Shhhh...calm down."

"Stop. I'm not going to hurt you."

etc.

glitterandcupcakes

Yes my sleep paralysis demon likes to whisper to me too. Not making fun being serious and trying to your post struck a chord with me.