Hello Pandy's Friends,
Our Section Moderator team has openings available for members who want to become more involved, give something back, and/or help the Pandy's community. We are currently looking for section moderators in the following forums:
- My Voice
- Mental Wellness
- Survivor Creativity
- Introduce Yourself
- Types of Sexual Assault Discussions
- Sex and Intimacy
- Disordered eating
- nightmares, flashbacks, anniversaries, & other triggers
You can find out more about what it's like being a Section Moderator in the thread A day in the life of a Section Moderator (the Section Moderator info is half-way down the page).
Before you apply, we want to say this one thing:
Some staff members have shared with us about how scared they were about applying for a staff position. How they felt they would never be selected; how they felt they were not "healed" enough; how they felt they would not be "good" enough; and ultimately how shocked they were when they landed the job!
We do not expect our staff members to be "healed" or perfect! Some staff members are in the earlier stages of their healing journey, and others are a little further along. We all have good days and bad days - and periods when we need to take some time out for ourselves. That's okay! We expect and encourage all staff members to put their own healing needs first at all times. We also do not expect staff members to do everything perfectly because we all make mistakes, and we do not expect staff members to know what to do in any given situation, which is why we work as a team and support each other. If you feel like you have the time, energy and desire to help keep Pandy's safe and supportive for members then please apply if you see a staff position that you find interesting.
What does being a Section Moderator involve?
As a Section Moderator, you will be in charge of a forum (or two) on the board and will ensure that it runs smoothly. Depending on the forum you are modding, you may work mostly on your own, or with co-moderators. Duties will include editing posts, setting posts to invisible, editing titles, messaging members about changes you've made, and referring issues to Board Moderators. You will be trained on how to carry out these duties, and fellow Section Moderators and Board Moderators will continue to support you through the training process and onwards. One of the most important parts of the job is simply contributing to threads and discussions in your forum and fostering a healing and kind atmosphere in your section so that members feel safe and nurtured. You will also have the chance to start and direct healing discussions and exercises that you think suit the forum and will help it to continue to grow in a healing direction. As a Section Moderator, you are also part of a wonderful team of volunteers who shape and grow the Pandy's community.
The time required to carry out all of your duties will vary depending on the forums you look after. As a general guide to help you consider if you are up to committing to the role, you will need to be able to log in at least every other day to the board, and your duties will probably take 3-4 hours per week to carry out. There will be periods where it will take longer than this and likewise, periods when it will take less time.
Is there anything in it for me?
Being a Section Moderator and giving back to a community that has helped you is very rewarding and healing. Over time, you will see members grow and heal as they explore issues in your forum and take part in discussions that you have designed. You can take great pride from knowing that you have helped that member move forward. Often helping others further our own journey and growth. Members in these positions have advanced to other positions on staff as they become comfortable in their role, and the experience and skills you gain can help you in your professional and academic life. It is a great chance to make a difference in yourself and others!
What kind of training will I receive?
Full training will be provided along with ongoing support. We are fortunate to have a team of supportive and caring staff volunteers who will help guide you as you grow in your role. You will also be given direction and support by more experienced staff. We encourage staff to ask for feedback and support as they need it, and there are almost always staff members online that you can message if you need to.
Can I still use the forum for my own healing?
Absolutely! Being in a staff position doesn't mean that you're automatically healed. All of our staff members are at different points in their healing journey. We encourage staff to reach out for support when they need it. It can help to keep in mind that asking for help as a role model sends a positive message to the community as a whole. All we ask is that you are in a place where you are able to commit to this role in the long-term and can use self care when you need to. You will be able to take a break from your duties as needed, we just ask that you inform a Board Moderator first so your forum can receive coverage while you are away. Good communication helps us support you as well.
Should I apply to become a Section Moderator?
If you've read this far then you must be interested and that's wonderful! We recommend you apply if:
- You are friendly and outgoing. You engage with other members of the board in positive ways.
- You can work independently and can take initiative to monitor your own responsibilities.
- You enjoy supporting other survivors.
- You are an active member of the board and in good standing with other members.
- You have the time and energy to commit to this role.
- You have an interest in the topic of the forum you are applying for, and participate in that forum by posting.
We would really love to hear from you. If you'd like to apply then please copy and paste the application form below, fill it out and send it by PM to any Board Moderator by Sunday, September 26, 2021. Please be assured that your application will be treated in confidence and if you have any further questions we are more than happy to answer them.
- Which forum(s) are you applying for?
- Are you over 18?
- Why do you want to join the Section Moderator team?
- Do you participate regularly in the forum you are applying to moderate? If not, do you see any reason why you won't be able to do so if you are successful in your application?
- What personal attributes do you have that would help you to become a good Section Moderator?
- What concerns, if any, do you have about being a Section Moderator - and can you think of any way that these concerns could best be addressed?
- As a section moderator, you will be expected to contribute to discussions with the rest of the team. As such, can you provide links to two posts you have made in the last month which have made a positive contribution to a member or to the board as a whole?
- Have you been involved in volunteer work before and if so, can you tell us a little bit about what your responsibilities were?
- How much time can you realistically offer per week?
- Are you able to make a minimum commitment to the role of 6 months?
- Is there anything else that you deem relevant to your application?
If there is anything you are unsure about, or that you would like to clarify, please don't hesitate to message any Board Moderators. We were all Section Mods once upon a time, so we can hopefully answer any questions you might have.
Thank you so much for taking the time to consider volunteering your precious time. This board would not run without the people who volunteer their time and energy to help manage and nurture it!
Lots of Grace and Encouragement to You All,
The Board Moderating Team