Photo

Question about public forums

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ForeverDancer

ForeverDancer
  • Am I glad to see you! It's more friendly with two.

Posted 24 March 2004 - 11:36 AM

i know this is silly, and i apologize for wasting your time with this question, but i've become somewhat nervous about how much info people can see about me whenever i post in public forums. i realize i have the option of only posting in private forums, or of removing personal into from my profile (which is what i have done for now) however i would like other members to be able to see things such as my aim, my website etc. is there by any chance a way to allow that information to be shown to members only???

#2 Shannon

Shannon
  • be the hero of your story

• Administrator

Posted 24 March 2004 - 06:28 PM

You know....

I can understand this.

I am pulling this from my bum, as I have not talked to other mods about this...

but how would you feel about making all forums, except this one, private?

I have some pros and cons for this.

Pro:
Your info would only be available to those who take the time to register.
Registration is pretty easy, and has a tendency to ward off some freakos.

Con:
I think some people get a feel of the board before registering. It might help people who are too scared to even register to know there is a support out there. I would hate to have them hesitate to join if they need the board.

Comments?

Oh,a nd to answer your question, i dont think there is any way to make info private only in one forum :( One option would be to put your aim, email, etc in your signature, and use your signature only when posting in private forums?

#3 Tracy

Tracy
  • I am Me

• Contributing Member

Posted 24 March 2004 - 07:39 PM

But, as a "guest" (unregistered), you can still access member's profiles.  I just logged out and came on as a guest, clicked on the members icon above and then opened my profile...

#4 ForeverDancer

ForeverDancer

Posted 24 March 2004 - 08:03 PM

thanks, Shannon for responding i agree both with your pros and cons, and wonder how others feel on this issue, the scariest thing for me is not that some wierdo might get my e-mail address and stalk me or something, but that friends or family in RL might stumble across this sight, and though they would never become a registered member, they could see my personal info and realize that i am a survivor, which is not something i want to happen. however, as healing mentioned, even making everything private would only help prevent that if somehow members names/profiles weren't accesable to guests. anyway, i think i'll be fine for now just putting my info in my signature and only posting it in private forums...but when i change my signature doesn't it change on all past posts too? so in previous posts i've made in public forums my signature with the info would show up wouldn't it?  :oops: so maybe i'll just not reveal any info.  :D

#5 Jes

Jes
  • Jes-us Almost

• Administrator

Posted 24 March 2004 - 11:16 PM

In order to keep 'Wonderful Threads' open, which I think is important to allow people to see what we are about, why don't you let us know what you would like to be deleted?

OR

You could have a different and secret member name.  When a thread is moved to a public forum or you want to post in one, you could use that one.  We'd be happy to delete posts you've made in threads that are moved to public forums as long as you tell us where they are.

Hugs,

Jes

#6 ForeverDancer

ForeverDancer

Posted 25 March 2004 - 09:20 AM

hey Jes, thanks for responding, i hadn't thought it would be ok to have 2 user names, but if it is i might do that, and then if i log in as an anonymous user and don't post in public forums under this sn only registered members will have access to my profile, correct? sorry for being such a pain.  :oops:

#7 Tracy

Tracy
  • I am Me

• Contributing Member

Posted 25 March 2004 - 10:35 AM

Everyone has access to member profiles
But, if you make up another name, you can use one in public forums and one in private forums.  The one you use in private, you can add your IM address, email, etc in your signature (not your profile). The one you use in the public forums, don't add all that to your signature.

#8 ForeverDancer

ForeverDancer

Posted 25 March 2004 - 02:39 PM

EXCEPT that your signature shows up in your profile, so if info is in my sig. than anyone who reads my profile will get that info

#9 ForeverDancer

ForeverDancer

Posted 27 March 2004 - 10:01 AM

ok...i registered a new name to post in public forums so i could add my info back on this member name, however, i am wondering whether it would be less complicated to use the new name only in private forums because i've  never posted under that name in public and add my info there, the only problem being that people know me as ForeverDancer and might be confused by the switch. anyway, i guess i'll figure out what to do...in case i do keep Forever Dancer as my main identity....could the mods delete this whole post please? so sorry about that, i appreciate your help.

#10 Tracy

Tracy
  • I am Me

• Contributing Member

Posted 27 March 2004 - 10:37 AM

Why don't you use your new name in the private forums only.  But, since they are in the private forums, post to people telling them "hey, this is ForeverDancer" and this is my new name for the private forums"...since they're private, no one who isn't registered would be able to read it...and, if you wanted to, you could have the mods delete that post after awhile...
Just an idea
HUGS

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.