Terms of service ("tos")...?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 simona

simona
  • Contributing Member

Posted 15 February 2004 - 08:08 AM

I am never a regular visitor here.
Sometimes i come and stay for three or four days, post intensely and long-windedly and then disappear. i am sorry about that, sorry that i have not got to know more people on a regular basis.

Because of this,  i do not really understand what has happened recently.

I notice that some people have chosen to leave Pandora's Aquarium and that some of these people are blaming the new Terms of Service ("TOS") for their wanting to unsubscribe.

WHY is this? Can someone help me to understand, please?

Thank you.

simona

#2 Emma

Emma
  • You say I'm liberal like that's a bad thing.

Posted 15 February 2004 - 08:31 AM

Simona

As I'm sure that you will appreciate, this is a bit of a delicate subject at the moment.

Essentially, some members have felt that the new TOS was unfair or unreasonable in its provisions. Additionally, some members have expressed a feeling of lack of safety around the very short time period they were given to decide whether to sign the TOS prior to having their membership status set back to 'awaiting authorisation'.

Additional confusion was caused by some members passing on, in good faith, inaccurate legal advice that they had received. All in all, this has contributed to some fairly heated discussion and discomfort across the community.

The Moderators collectively have been compelled to devise the new TOS to mitigate the risks posed to us by the possibility of litigation. Additionally, there are some provisions in the TOS which enable us to try to protect the members who use this board: namely, preventing counsel defending alleged rapists from using the writing of the complaining witness here to discredit them.

Of course, no change can be universally popular, and some members have exercised their right to leave the community and seek peer-support elsewhere.

I hope this answers your question. In order that this thread doesn't become a rehash of what has been written previously, if you have any further questions about this could you contact me [or one of the other mods, of course!] directly?

-Emma

#3 simona

simona
  • Contributing Member

Posted 16 February 2004 - 10:53 AM

Emma, i have sent you a PM.

Thank you.

simona

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.