Photo

Secondary survivors forum

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kassi

Kassi
  • Momma to 4

Posted 01 February 2004 - 03:28 AM

Hey, I was wondering if I could get access to that forum. Im a survivor myself, but my boyfriend is also one and I'd like to talk to others. Thanks

#2 Cathy

Cathy
  • Contributing Member

Posted 01 February 2004 - 08:06 AM

Kassi~

The entire forum was closed and officially deleted about 2 weeks ago.  Sorry.

Take care,

Cathy

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2004 - 04:33 PM

whaaah???!!!!

WHY!??

its an oft neglected and very NEEDED topic!!!

:down:

that truly stinks!

#4 Cathy

Cathy
  • Contributing Member

Posted 15 February 2004 - 04:39 PM

Enaid,

The short of it is that the forum was taken down due to the impossibility of moderating its needs with the needs of survivors on the board.  Being a survivor's site first, the survivors came first and the forum was respectfully closed.

Cathy

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2004 - 05:47 PM

Cathy,

I understand the significance here.  Though I am in my own absolute TERROR right now (see topic above) and am trying to help a rape victim come to the forum for help.  Thus, SS's act as a liason in urgent times of need such as this.  
I can honestly say that I am myself a survivor, but that should have nothing to do with facilitating to link victims in...  This site is acting as my "first response unit"  becuase i have no access to anything else due to the details of this situation. SS's need support and have nowhere else to turn.  this site(and its common links) was the ONLY to offer as much soulful help and info as it does.  it is the best there seems to be.  as such, that leaves NOTHING for SS's.
this is tragic.  and as such, in support of survivors, the site might want to re-consider!  

-enaid

#6 Cathy

Cathy
  • Contributing Member

Posted 15 February 2004 - 06:03 PM

You are right...secondary survivors do need support...and while there are some things out there, they aren't nearly as prevelant.  The decision to close that forum, as I understand, was not taken lightly.  It was actually something that had been discussed at great lengths on and off for a long time.  And while secondary survivors do need support, the first priority here is the survivor.  The inclusion of the secondary survivor forum made it so the survivor wasn't always number one here...which was the real tragidity.

It actually gives control back to the survivor if they can come here on their own terms and tell their story and how it has effected them in their own time.  Speaking for someone else here as a liason is highly discouraged to protect everyone.

I searched around online and found This site.  If you scroll down the page, there are some phone numbers for places in Bangkok you may be able to call and get some help from.

Cathy

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2004 - 06:30 PM

Thanks for the link Cathy.

Those were also the links I found.  I tried to call last night and they are unfortunatly not 24 hr.

It is my hope that my friend will take advantage of the daylight hours.

I also fear they will not be English-speaking.

I am hoping to find a western-based organization to encourage her to speak with.  

And I did hear you that the survivor is#1 priority...
I am not meaning to challenge that sentiment in any way.

I was trying to respond to the fact that sometimes SS's act at liaison's to the person in crisis.  

Thank you for also commenting that the decision to disclude the SS board was one of intese and careful deliberation.  It struck me as flip when I first read the response, which sparked my comments.

-enaid

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.