Photo

The pandy's insomnia club

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#61 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2003 - 06:50 PM

I hope noone will be mad but I wanted to give you guys a mini warning.  I ended up in the drug rehab center because of over the counter sleep aids like you have been talking about, nytol, tylnol PM, etc.....

I would start with one and then it became 2 to do the same effect then 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and yes even 8 a night to do the same effect one did just a few months ago.  

So, my warning is just to be aware of how much you "need" it.  I love sleeping aides.  I love having control over how long it takes me it get to sleep.  

I still crave the sleeping aides even after a year and a half off of them.  It is tough sometimes.  But, my goal is to remember what happened to me before the age of 6 and I know I won't be able to remember if I keep taking the pills.  

Please take gentle care of yourselfs and thank you for this website.

Casper

#62 smile4203

smile4203

Posted 04 May 2003 - 09:07 PM

I'm super-sensitive to medication and had a pretty bad experience with taking Trazadone.  It helped me sleep, but made me very edgy and depressed during the day.  I guess it's different for everyone, because what I've heard about it has been mostly positive.  Now I'm on a mission for something else:)

~smile

#63 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2003 - 10:58 PM

Hey, I've had sleep problems since I was a kid, and my doctor and I are working on them.....
Things that have worked for me: have a precisely followed nightime routine including something warm and relaxing to drink and  music. (It's supposed to teach your body that these  things mean it's time to go to sleep now)
Trazadone
StarNoc (not sure what it is, and it's pretty expensive, but I'm out like a light in 5 minutes or less. Caution: literally take it *last* thing at night. It can hit really fast)
Ativan (a lot of the time, my anxiety is what's keeping me awake. Ativan helps, but can lead to dependence and tolerance. Be careful)

Also, if sleep just isn't going to happen, I get up. (that would be why I inhabit the board at 4 am a lot) At least I'm not getting bored and frustrated with myself.

Caitlin

#64 cubby

cubby
  • Waffles: weapon of choice for a new America

Posted 22 December 2003 - 08:07 PM

A friend gave me this thing called a Toasty Bear to help me sleep.  It's a teddy bear filled with buckwheat seeds and aromatherapy herbs (Lavender, Thyme, Lemon Balm, Hyssop, Citrus, Rosemary, Eucalyptus, Peppermint, and Rose Buds).  You pop it in the microwave for a couple of minutes and it gets warm and smells all comforting.  

I feel like a 5 year old being all excited about a new teddy bear, but it's so freakin' relaxing.  :)

If anyone's interested they have a website...

http://www.sootheze....asbearprod.html

#65 JoviBlaze

JoviBlaze
  • I got soul, but I'm not a soldier

Posted 22 December 2003 - 11:47 PM

I'm sorry if this suggestion has already been posted as I didn't read all the posts (I know, I know, bad girl) but I suggest we start a Pandys Insomnia Club chat. Oh come on, you know it sounds fun  :cool:.
~Olivia~

#66 Guest_SweetSangria_*

Guest_SweetSangria_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2004 - 05:15 AM

i take chlorpromazine most nights which i take an hour before bed or temazepam which puts me to sleep for about 5-6 hrs but straight away. the chlorpromazine leaves me feeling a bit sleepy in the morning but the temaze doesnt because it only has a half life of 4 hrs.  i tend to read before bed it relaxes me the most usually while im waiting for the sleep meds to kick in. but ever since the rape happend in my room i've been finding it harder and harder to sleep and becoming more and more dependant on prescription stuff and otc stuff but not so much the latter

melissa

#67 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2004 - 01:32 PM

Wow, there are a lot of really great suggestions here, some that I think I shall definitely try.  I have always not slept well.
Usually what I do is make sure to get a lot of exercise during the day in hopes of tiring myself out...I was on Zyprexa once to help with schizophrenia and sleep issues but I couldn't stand it.  It made me sleep all the time, and what little time I was awake in, I couldn't function.  Not so good for needing to go to classes!
So I have a very elaborate routine now to help me get to sleep.  I play with my chinchillas first, I go to each cage and talk to each one, give them their scritchies and cuddle with them if they feel like it.  I tell them to be sure and be awake all night to guard the door.  Then I give them goodnight kisses.  I get into my pyjamas and go to the bathroom, wash my face, take out my contacts, brush my teeth.  I have to go pee no matter what because if I don't I won't be able to sleep.
Then I go back to my room, turn off the computer, lock the door and move my chair in front of it (I got in trouble last year for blockading my door but I can't help it, I don't feel safe unless I do) and then I shut and lock the windows.  I have the radio on quietly on the sleep function so it turns off after an hour.  I'm usually not asleep then but I have calmed enough, lying there, that I can go to sleep then.
I wake up on average of 3-4 times a night, partially due to minor crashes and cries from the furkids, partially due to night terrors and nightmares.  After the former I go back to bed, but after the latter I'm up for another hour or so if not the rest of the night.
Does anyone have any tips for getting back to sleep after a nightmare or night terror?

#68 Guest_SweetSangria_*

Guest_SweetSangria_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2004 - 05:34 AM

I CANT FRIGGEN SLEEP AAAAAARRRGGGHHH

melissa

#69 glassgoddess

glassgoddess
  • I'm a redhead, hear me roar!

Posted 30 January 2004 - 08:25 AM

Awwww Melissa! :laugh: It's okay Gurl, i'm right here with you! --huggles-- It's about 9 a.m. and I have yet to sleep. :oo: Yeah, it IS really is aggrivating.

I joined Pandy's yesterday...and I can't describe how good it feels to have found this place, to know that i'm not alone in everything. This is such a wonderful place...Ya'll have no idea how awesome you are!

...Oh, what was I going to say?  :oops: Oh yeah! Usually, I can't sleep because my mind is going about 1,000 mph at the end of the day. It's all fine and dandy during the day because i'm busy and don't have to think about much...but when everything calms down, things aren't so good. Every single worry or fear that i've pushed into the back of my mind is just right there...and I can't get my mind to stop. It's horrible. I am usually just awake until my body crashes...and then I sleep for like 12 hours.

I was taking Seroquel but it makes me really, really groggy in the morning and gives me drymouth. I didn't know it was an antidepressant... :P My therapist told me that it was an antipsychotic which can be used as a sleepaid in small doses...but antidepressant is good.  :laugh:

The only thing that I find calming is the fishtank that's in my room. I just lay there and watch the fish, listen to the water. Oh, Cubby that's a good idea! I think i'm going to order one of those bears...probably the lavender scented ones. I bought some scented pillowcases at Super Walmart. Ya'll should look for them if you'd like. They had lemon, eucalyptus, lavender, camomile, and some other scents I can't remember. Lavender is my favorite...sooo relaxing.

#70 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2004 - 04:22 PM

Can I join?? Haven't slept in 72 hours. :angry:
This is so annoying. I have followed most of those suggestions lis posted earlier, except for no chocolate after 2 pm. How am I meant to put that into practice?
I went to the drugstore this arve to get something to put me to sleep but the chemist told me he wouldn't give me anything unless I go see a doctor. I am going somewhere else from now on. That was a bit rude... :angry: oh well, I had bought his supply of 'no doz' before, so I guess that's why... :glare:

What actually did make me fall asleep, although it was only for like 20 mins, was that 'smack the penguin' thing...in the middle of my bct class. WHOOPS.

Castilia

#71 forgottenhowtofly

forgottenhowtofly
  • Heavely medicated for your safety

• Contributing Member

Posted 23 February 2004 - 02:28 PM

Not so much a way to sleep, but a way to function during the day.  Take NO DOZE.  I take it after I have had trouble sleeping.  It is an OTC drug sold to help people stay awake while driving.  It works pretty good, but be careful, if you take to much you get the the jumpy, gittery, shakes.  Regurdless of how much sleep I get at night I am always wxpected to function the next day, and this stuff helps.

jenni

#72 Smile

Smile
  • Smile spreader

Posted 24 February 2004 - 06:59 PM

i cant remember what it was that  tried, but it had really bad effects on me...it was like truth serum, and i did the oddest things, i mean really odd, and then 2hrs after takin it, i fell asleep, but cudnt wake myself up from a nitemare, and woke the house up, tryin to explain it was fun...i just lied (i hate that, i lie so much now to my parents to protect them)...they were over the counter, but ill stick to not sleepin thanks....its been i think 2 months since i had a full nites sleep....

sorry i cant give any names, but i threw them out....they sud come with a warnin...

#73 Guest_katehealer_*

Guest_katehealer_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2004 - 06:24 AM

Hi.
I use essential oils (2 drops) mixed in with lotion and rubbed on my hands and forearms about an hour before sleep.  I use Neroli.  I got it from Bath and Body Works.  Other recommended essential oils include valerian, marjoram, clary-sage, sandalwood, lemon, chamomile roman.  Lemon is probably the most resonably priced at $5. for an ounce.  I buy others reasonably priced at my local natural food store, alot cheaper than b and b w.  Two great books about essential oils is "the complete book of essential oils and aromatherapy" and "the fragrant mind: aromatherapy for personality, mind, mood, and emotion" both by Valerie Ann Worwood.  The second book addresses alot of issues that survivors of sexual trauma go through.  I bought these two books when I was at the end of my rope three years ago and the knowledge in them and the use of essential oils really helped get me through this time and work on my healing as well.  Excellent healing advice for essential oil use.  Another great way to take care of yourself, nurture yourself, and love yourself throughout your healing process.  Kate

#74 LittleBit

LittleBit

Posted 20 April 2004 - 05:42 PM

I take tylenol PM every night, because I can't sleep otherwise because of nightmares-is that bad for you?  My roommate told me I'm going to get an ulcer or have liver problems, and I got worried, because I can't sleep without taking it...

#75 Rebecca

Rebecca

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:39 PM

i am on zolft for depression but i found that i helps me sleep if i take it at night.  i also find the tylonol PM works really good too, probably better than zolft accaully.

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.