Photo

The pandy's insomnia club

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#46 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2003 - 05:04 PM

Well it has taken me along time to gain some control over my sleeping patterns,  started using relaxation tapes, when i was 15 it took a long time for me to do it, but considering i dont have to take any drugs its great. All it is, is controled breathing and focused relaxation.  Works for me most of the time "most".
Tinette

#47 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2001 - 06:34 PM

(((hugs))) I, myself have found that good ol' over the counter works wonders at times also, but you just have to be in a relaxed state of mind for them to work. My friend takes those tylenol PM's and they knocked me out one night, though i took 4. I woke up feeling pretty darn good...dont have a clue if this helps but hey its a thought.:):)

Take care hun..

Donna =)

(Edited by dreamerNdisguiz at 9:34 pm on Oct. 22, 2001)

#48 Guest_Little Sunshine_*

Guest_Little Sunshine_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2001 - 06:28 AM

((Lis))

One of the sleep aids I am currently taking is Tylenol PM. I only take one gelcap since taking two pills leave me feeling like a 'zombie' in the morning. Reading a book before going to bed also helps.

I hope you're able to find a remedy that helps.

Take Care,

Little Sunshine

#49 Guest_Lil Tiger_*

Guest_Lil Tiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2001 - 07:55 PM

Lis,
I havent really had too many problems sleeping, unless I have too much caffiene before I go to bed. I just wanted to wish you the best in finding what works for you. It's more of a trial and error thing. Maybe speak to your concellor / psych it may help, when you are relaxed you tend to sleep better. One other suggestion I have is that when I cant sleep, I exercise heaps during the day, it helps clear the mind and also can help you get your much needed rest.

Best of Luck Lis
(((hugs)))

#50 Trinity

Trinity
  • may contain nuts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 05:13 PM

Lis,

I have ALOT of trouble sleeping too. My Doctor prescribed a sleeping pill called Imovane (generic name: Zopiclone). I love this shit!!! I take it an hour before I want to be sleeping. It slowly relaxes you, until you feel kinda 'high', really...but that's not always a bad thing. It's a nice high. ;) In the morning, when I first get up I feel a little tired, but not groggy (depending on how much of the pill I took the night before. I usually only take half, or a quarter and leave myself about 7-8 hours of sleep. Remarkeably, this pill has it's own alarm clock (so it seems). I usually wake up EXACTLY 8 hours later. The sleepiness (NOT grogginess) usually wears off by the time I've finished my cup of coffee.

The only thing I hate about it is, if I take half a pill (which is almost always-AND PLENTY) it tastes like I've been licking a battery. So, swallow fast! It tends to last a bit the next day...but it does fade. It usually wears off in the afternoon...OR, as soon as you crack a beer! --> (kidding)

Hope that helps, honey...I strongly recommend it.
Trinno

(Edited by Trinity at 7:16 pm on April 23, 2002)

#51 jrsygirl

jrsygirl

Posted 26 July 2002 - 07:07 PM

If I can't sleep I always take Nytol, It helps you go to sleep the Nyquil does except you don't have to be sick to take it.

#52 widefront

widefront

Posted 15 August 2002 - 05:01 PM

I take remeron at bedtime to stop the nightmares and nightime anxiety. During the day I take paxil for depression. Sometimes I still need extra help so I add excedrin pm (even though the doctor said not to). The remeron really helps. My husband noticed the difference in my sleeping immediately. I sleep through the night now and rarely have bad dreams.

#53 Guest_choirgirl_*

Guest_choirgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2003 - 11:23 PM

I've had good luck with Tylenol Simply Sleep for the occasional nights that I can't sleep more than usual.  It's the same stuff as Tylenol PM, except that it doesn't have the pain/fever reduce part in it (the "Tylenol", if you will).  They're in little packs for twos, which is good because they're all wrapped and I can throw a couple in if I'm going overnight somewhere and afriad I won't sleep.  I usually only take one, which works fine for me.

#54 ~Lindsay~

~Lindsay~
  • I believe all will be well.

Posted 05 May 2003 - 02:03 PM

I've used Trazadone and it works great for me.  You have to make sure to devote a full 8 hours to sleep otherwise it makes me really sleepy and groggy, but if I get at least 8 hours, I'm really alert, happy and well rested.  It is also an antidepressant so it kills two birds with one stone. :)  Good luck!

#55 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2001 - 07:35 PM

Oops, I totally missed that you had said you had tried valerian and that it didn't work and thats what I suggested. Sorry!

(Edited by Star at 10:37 pm on Oct. 22, 2001)

#56 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2001 - 07:13 AM

((LIS))

I take temazapan, which does work Although,i do feel sleepy during the day, but i don't know if that has anything to do with it cause i'm like that if i don't take them as well only worse.
Also try putting some lavener oil on your pillow when you go to bed (just a few drops) the subtle smell helps you relax therfore helping you to sleep a little better :)
Hope this helps

Carolyn

#57 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2001 - 01:27 PM

(((Lis)))

I wish I could offer an idea, but I can't use any of them for fear that I won't be able to look after my kids. I just wanted to wish you luck and to say that I hope you're able to find something that'll work for you.

#58 Monika

Monika
  • ~~Yogalicious~~

• Advisor

Posted 24 October 2001 - 03:51 AM

Hey Lis,

I haven't taken anything for years, but years ago I tried Chloral hydrate which I don't even know if they prescribe anymore. It worked okay, though. I tried periactin which didn't do much good at all. I also was on restoril, but it gives you a hangover type feeling. I also tried trazadone which didn't help at all. I don't like pills so I usually just put up with not sleeping. Eventually I get exhausted enough to sleep ;) I hope you find relief soon! Take gentle care, Rain

#59 red line

red line
  • Gnomey

• Inactive Member

Posted 29 April 2002 - 11:24 PM

Children's Benadryl -it's 1/2 the dose of 1 tylonal PM- 12.5 mg of dyphenhydromine.  Doesn't knock you out nearly as much and it works faster b/c they disolve in your mouth rather than a pill. Hope that helps

#60 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2002 - 05:54 PM

I have an awesome psychiatrist who understands that I am extremely sensitive to medications.  Insomnia has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember but now I take a great medication for it - Neurontin - originally prescribed for epilepsy but now widely used for many other illnesses.  The great thing about it is that it is also a mood stablizer and the body metabolizes it very quickly - there don't seem to be reactions with anything else, I get a very restful sleep and wake up without feeling groggy at all because it has worn off by then.  I also have the option of taking a small dosage during the day to combat the severe anxiety symptoms I get sometimes.  I also take Effexor XR for panic/anxiety, but still had trouble sleeping (as always).

Good Luck,
Keri

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.