Photo

Alternative remedies - share your thoughts

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 KNinety

KNinety
  • Inactive Member

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:51 PM

Alternative remedies are no miracle drug. Most of them are absolutely worthless, but I've found that it's usually only a handful of small communities in some far removed parts of the world have actual working remedies. The chances of you obtaining some of those drugs are practically none in much of the Western hemisphere.

Stop chasing lies.

#17 MelK

MelK
  • Grrr

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:21 AM

KNinety, I have to disagree with you. There's a lot of scientific evidence for the effectiveness of alternative remedies and treatments readily available in the west (you can see this on PubMed among other places). There are also many people who find them helpful, and that's good enough in itself.

Something that worked really well for me here in the UK is MyoComplex (which includes passionflower, valerian, calcium and magnesium). It helped me get some sleep when my insomnia was really bad. I think they now market it as being for PMS, but my doctor recommended it for insomnia and it's good.

#18 waterfountain

waterfountain

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:17 PM

EFT - best remedy yet! emofree.com download the mannual for free
Shamanic Healing
Deep Tissue Massage
Breathing through feelings
Talk therapy
Accupuncture
Reflexology
Journaling
Reiki Healing
Sea Salt Baths
Smudging Aura with Sage saying this light invocation three times "I invoke the light of God within, I am a clear and perfect channel, Light is my guide"
Bach Flower Alcholol free remedies
B vitamins
Calcuim Magnuism
Multi Vitamins
Herbs/Herbal teas
Low Gi diet, eating every two to three hours, foods like greek yogurt, veggies etc
Yoga, be ware of raising cons. though
Excercise
Dancing
Having Fun! laughter, enjoyment is best remedy

Edited by waterfountain, 30 June 2010 - 05:18 PM.

#19 Scherzo

Scherzo

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:36 PM

Alternative remedies are no miracle drug. Most of them are absolutely worthless, but I've found that it's usually only a handful of small communities in some far removed parts of the world have actual working remedies. The chances of you obtaining some of those drugs are practically none in much of the Western hemisphere.

Stop chasing lies.

I find some things really are miracles, like ginger. Ginger is really soothing on a sore throat or upset stomach, for most people. Ginger tea might not cure a cold, but it certainly feels good during one. When I had surgery and had to have a tube down my throat, I sucked on little ginger tablets, and it was not only delicious, it improved my sore throat considerably.

But it's also true that there are lots of companies who just throw leaves together and market it at ridiculous prices. But, at worst, a lot of those herbal remedies aren't BAD for you, just probably not as helpful as a Tylenol, and some are expensive. Drinking a nice warm cup of ________ herb tea to calm your nerves is always nice-- maybe it's not the herb that helps, maybe it's the warmth, and you happen to like the flavour. Chamomile tea is nice, but doesn't work on me... I do have LOADS of it, though. Just in case one day it works. Hehe.

I was born with some facial defects-- nothing major, it's all been corrected by surgery and I look totally normal now. But I don't have a sense of smell! Because of all the surgery on my nose, I can't depend on any aromatherapy. :P I'll stick to my ginger tablets...

#20 itsjustme

itsjustme

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:17 AM

I take cranberry pills for minor UTIs and Vitex (main ingredient in chaste berry)to regulate my hormone levels. My doctor actually warned me against using natural methods for hormone regulation but when my blood hormone levels continued to be out-of-balance I tried the chaste berry. My next blood test about 2-3 months later showed the levels were balanced for the first time in years. She even acknowledged that it was an effective treatment ^_^

As far as alternative remedies not being a miracle drug, I've learned that there is no such thing as a miracle drug INCLUDING prescription meds. Everybody's body is different. The key is to find what works best for you-- traditional or not.

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.