Mod Decisions

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 Labyrinth

Labyrinth
  • Ah.

• Contributing Member

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:13 PM

Ok, almost everyone here, more or less, that has any amount of posts has; at one point or another had a post edited, deleted, moved, or otherwise modified by a moderated. OK? No one is special or being singled out by having this done.

I will be more blunt than the mods- in my opinion if you cannot be civil about having this happen then you need to find another place to go to outside of pandora's aquarium. The only reason this place is "safe" for many of us is because it is so thoroughly moderated.

-Nicole

#17 Shannon

Shannon
  • be the hero of your story

• Administrator

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:16 PM

A lot of the books I've read on survivors say we have issues with people in authority, and it's sure true of me. :P Haven't had any problems with the authorites here, thus far. ;) It is difficult to run a board of this size and it seems as groups get larger the rules do often end up refined or tightened - that or the group implodes and breaks up. :o I'm sorry rules changes are bothering people and that the mods are getting the fall out. :( Very much appreciate all the mods do.

Sheryl

I think you're exactly right, Sheryl. It becomes really trying for us when people's feelings of powerlessness and vulnerability get projected on us. And this board is constantly growing, and as it grows we're constantly on the lookout for how to make it safe while at the same time accommodating. We've never made a decision without careful, long consideration on our part. We've made some controversial decisions in the past - the addition of the secondary forum and spirituality come to mind. Thankfully, we can stand by those decisions because the fallout that was feared never came to fruition. In fact, thoes forums appear to be adding considerably to our community for those who utilize them.

Unfortunately, I am not sure we can stand by the cookie decision though. I have considered the comments of members here, and I shall graciously accept all offerings of cookies. Franklin prefers them made from chicken and/or salmon. I prefer the chocolate variety ;) I am guessing our pregnant mods will take whatever they are offered!

#18 Animalbears

Animalbears
  • Turkey bowling

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:44 PM

(((((((((((mods)))))))))))

I have been on here a long time now. And this board has help me alot. And i thank you for having this board around for all of us who needs it. I really appreciate it very much for all you do for this board and for the mods who really do care about each and every one of us. You all do amazing job to make sure this board is safe and that saids alot for me. I think thats all it matters if the board is safe or not and to me it is and really it is.
I'm sorry that you all have complaints.

((((((((((((hugs because you all deserve it)))))))))))))))))))))))

Thanks
Animalbears

#19 Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea
  • Proctosaurus Rex

• Contributing Member

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:46 PM

Unfortunately, I am not sure we can stand by the cookie decision though. I have considered the comments of members here, and I shall graciously accept all offerings of cookies. Franklin prefers them made from chicken and/or salmon. I prefer the chocolate variety ;) I am guessing our pregnant mods will take whatever they are offered!

Posted Image

[attachment=488:attachment]

They also have cookies made from chicken liver (check out their liver luvs). I believe they can be broken up for cats, but if Franklin can't eat these, i figured he can pass them onto Sam.

To be sure we have something for Franklin, we'll also contribute these:

Posted Image

As for the chocolate cookies:

Posted Image

:moo: is happy to take any other mod requests. :D

just let her know.

ayelet

P.S. even the cat treats are from the "three dog bakery." where are the baking cats?

Edited by Star of the Sea, 16 November 2006 - 02:50 PM.

#20 Jennifer

Jennifer
  • Niffer

• Contributing Member

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:24 PM

I wanted to add my voice to the thanks. You guys work so hard and I appreciate all the time you spend on the board. Thank you for everything!

#21 one silent feather

one silent feather
  • Contributing Member

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:26 PM

If this has nothing to do with complaints regarding the thread i started the other day, then please ignore this post but i would like to say for the record if anybody is taking issue with the thread i started that was then deleted PLEASE DON'T.

The post was deleted because i erased it. I knew the rules said that if any posts are erased they are automatically deleted and i used that loophole to delete the post because i wanted it gone and i knew it would get yanked if i erased it. (you know i know where all the exits are :blush: )

No mods said anything to me about the thread nor did they delete it due to it's content. On the contrary one mod pm'd me with a thank you to me for addressing the thread with an apology. I WANTED to apologize to any body i might have offended and to all those who replied to the orginial thread because their words would get yanked too. I was not guilted into aplogizing.

But if this has nothing to do with some of the bitching the mods are talking about then nevermind :)

#22 Tina

Tina
  • Writer, hopeless romantic,and forever loner

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:30 PM

((((((((((((One Feather))))))))))))))))))

If the mods had a problem with your thread, you would've been informed...this has more to do with the mods getting complaints about any recent board changes...like posting hug threads, leaving guidelines, and research...which I think were the most recent updates.

I can assure you, everything is fine.

All board members can't be pleased most of the time, and the all the MODS do their best to keep this board safe at all times.

Tina

#23 spamalot

spamalot
  • silenced and nobody cares

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:00 PM

Shannon - I'm not sure you should accept the cookies since there might be gluten problems if Sam gets them. :)

I want to thank the mods for all of their help and the ULTRA hard work of keeping this a safe community. Part of the reason my healing is going so well is because of pandys: and the reason pandys work is because of the mods and chat mods.

Since I can't cook, I can only offer my thanks! :P

#24 Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea
  • Proctosaurus Rex

• Contributing Member

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:05 PM

Since I can't cook, I can only offer my thanks! :P

:moo: suggests this cookbook. ;)

Posted Image

To counterbalance all the sweets and to make Lou feel more at home. :P ;)

I did try to tell her that vegemite cookies sounded like a bad idea (and indeed there were no pictures of "vegemite cookies" on google.) I didn't want the mods to start rejecting cookies again. ;)

sheep and their crazy ideas... :rolleyes:

Edited by Star of the Sea, 16 November 2006 - 09:13 PM.

#25 Blue_Dolphin308

Blue_Dolphin308
  • Taking things one step at a time!

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:18 PM

Also alot of survivors have probles with ANY sort of change, whether it be small, or big. It is just a process we all have to work through. Change for alot of us can be very difficult, until we readjust. Just be good to yourselves through the process.

Mods, I do appreciate all the hard work you have been doing. Way to go!

#26 Jackie

Jackie
  • Gym Rat

• Administrator

Posted 17 November 2006 - 05:28 AM

A lot of the books I've read on survivors say we have issues with people in authority,

I think that is a great point. As much as it is true that we are indeed the people facilitating things in this community, we are also members of the community. Maybe it helps to remind yourselves that we are all just like you.

Other than Shannon, who created this wonderful place, the rest of the moderating team all began here as members. We were all searching for a safe and supportive healing community. Each one of us is a survivor, and that is @ the heart of each & every one of our decisions.

If the mods had a problem with your thread, you would've been informed...this has more to do with the mods getting complaints about any recent board changes...

That is exactly true! Thanks for putting it that way, Tina.

#27 Shannon

Shannon
  • be the hero of your story

• Administrator

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:57 AM

... might not fully agree with everything, just because we never witnessed the process that comes before a guideline, and that can be a little intimidating.

You're totally right. That's why we just ask that you all trust us. It's hard - trust me, I know! - but we simply cannot make all decisions based on member consensus (we've tried that in the past ;) ). We do ask for feedback when appropriate (a recent example of this are new profile features in an upcoming board upgrade, that we asked for feedback on).

Stef, when I say "you" here I am not referring just to YOU! ;)

It's also very frustrating for mods to rack our brains and discuss for two weeks a policy, covering every conceivable angle (doing this 5 years I think I've got a good grasp on survivor community needs), and then receive complaints about how unfair the rule is and a request to change it back. Furthermore, one of the guidelines of this board is that mod decisions, especially regarding the closing of threads, are not open to debate. Someone's got to decide whether or not a thread violates a guideline, and for ease of moderation that "someone" is the the moderators.

We've said it before and we'll say it again - this board unfortunately isn't a democracy. We're more of a representative form of government ;) By joining and staying, you elect the mods to make important decisions and trust that they're making the decisions for the benefit of the board. You don't always get a direct vote. And if we make decisions you don't like, you have the power to "fire us" and leave to find a survivor community that better suits you. No one is making anyone stay here; no one is making you follow rules you think are unfair. You have the right and responsibility to find the community that best suits you. I hope it's Pandy's, but if it's not, what is important to me is that you are healing.

We do understand that members are vulnerable and hurting while they're here. But we do not believe that because of that, people should be able to get away with disrespect or failing to follow the rules. Participation here is not a right.

The bottom line is that we're asking for respect. Just as you all don't like to be second-guessed when you make decisions in your lives, we don't like that here either, and we especially don't like it when it is rude or posted publicly.

We do what we can to make this community thrive. Given the length of our time online, the number of active members we have, the number of postings, something going on here is "right." Please trust us that we strive to make this community the safest place we can.

It's almost a shame that we had to post this - 98% of you had nothing to do with why this thread was posted. I really love this place; that's why I am still here after wanting to step back several times in the past! And the reason I love this place is because you members are absolutely amazing :)

#28 kjblue

kjblue
  • My friends call me blonde...

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:12 AM

I guess reminders like this are needed but I am still always amazed when a thread comes out like this, it never occurs to me to complain about a new guideline or board change, as much as I feel I am a part of this board I still know my place. I think (and trust) those who have taken on the immense responsibility of maintaining this board to make the correct decisions regarding the board. (and for what it's worth my trust here has never been misguided)

Bottom line is I have been here for quite a while now, logging in almost every day, and never have I felt a decision was made hastily or without good reason. Some decisions may seem foreign or scary at first, but be patient, becuase at least here we know those in charge are truly looking out for us.

Kolee

#29 Louise

Louise
  • Kicking arsenic

• Administrator

Posted 17 November 2006 - 02:46 PM

I guess reminders like this are needed but I am still always amazed when a thread comes out like this,

Hey Kolee, thanks for understanding, hon. Threads like this only emerge when we are feeling particularly excoriated by complaints, rudeness and the implication that we are deliberately hurting people because we like the power or something. What we actually like is our members and moderating this community :) Heck, after the support I had from you beauties earlier this year, I love yas. And we're pleased that for the most part, it's ditto for you guys.

And Ayelet, my dear, you're the first - I said FIRST - US inhabitant who has not given me shit for coming from a nation of Vegemite-eaters :o Though coming from a nation of Peanut Butter and Jelly-eaters, that's pretty rich ;)

#30 Quinn

Quinn
  • Can ya hear me now? Good.

Posted 17 November 2006 - 02:58 PM

Uh Louise.. I love people that come from the land of Vegemite.. and I do not like PB&J ewwww hahaha.
:)

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.