nightmares

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_not to yeild_*

Guest_not to yeild_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2001 - 09:41 AM

Sorry, I had to remove this.

(Edited by not to yeild at 11:41 pm on Oct. 23, 2001)

#2 Louise

Louise
  • Kicking arsenic

• Administrator

Posted 21 November 2001 - 03:28 AM

Boosting...couldn't find Lis's thread, but perhaps we can build on Denny's.

Louise xxx

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2002 - 05:46 PM

Quote: from MoonFyre on 6:28 am on Jan. 16, 2002
I have really bad nightmares too, and I have a little advice for them that might work.  My counsellor told me this the other day.  When you first wake up from a nightmare, try to imagine it ending a different way.  Imagine that you are getting control of the situation and that the person harming you or making you afraid is being killed or growing smaller, or whatever works.
I am still not sure if this works, only because she just told me recently, but try it out.  It can't hurt, right?
Stay safe.

MoonFyre

It does work. I used to have nightmares..many many moons ago... and when I would wake up from a nightmare I would change my dream when I fell back asleep. I haven't had any real nightmares since....except for last night. That was the first terrifying dream I have had since at least 1990.

I can't say for sure why I had a nightmare but I think it's because of being upset the last couple of days. Someone here upset me so much that I was having trouble sleeping. Then last night I had the nightmare... so I think they are connected.  Your dreams are your minds way of telling you something. By writing down your dreams you can see if there is a pattern to your dreams and maybe pin point what it is that is triggering you to have nightmares. Just a thought.

Hope you have a peaceful nights sleep. :)

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2001 - 11:49 PM

lately i've been waking up in the middle of the night freaking out after my nightmares. i can't breath and i can't seem to distance myself from the nightmare. i've tried everything from journaling when it happens to prescription sleeping pills in the hopes of sleeping through them. it's getting to the point where i am scared to go to sleep.  does anyone have any practical advice on how to deal with this?

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2001 - 12:03 AM

Denny,

I am so sorry you are having such a hard time sleeping.  I want you to know you are not alone.  I don't know how practical this is, but before you go to bed you might try visualizing safe, fun places or memories.  Distance yourself as far away from the bad stuff as you can...right before you go to bed.  I know there isn't a cure.  For me...I practice a lot of positive visuals in my mind.  Hope that was a little helpful at least.  Take care, hon.  You are not alone.

me

#6 Guest_tkb_*

Guest_tkb_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2001 - 10:02 AM

Sorry to hear this. :(

My own nightmares have not been so bad. Hot baths, exercise, reduction of caffeine have helped out. Talking to a therapist (for recovery, but about the nightmares, too) has helped, too.

Hope that was a little helpful at least. Take care. You are not alone.

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2001 - 01:27 PM

I also suffer from horendous nightmares. I have learned that if you think about something good when you are trying to go to sleep it seems to help. At least some of the time. Try not to let your mind wonder to the things that upset you. I know this is easier said than done. But it might help you to get a good nights sleep. I hope that it helps you out hun. Good luck. *hugs* :)

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2002 - 12:24 AM

I have a little bit of advice for you because I have the exact same problem and I know what its like its scary overwhelming. What I try to do is right before I fall asleep imagine myself I'm some where else I try to picture as much as possible to keep my mind focused just on that. Its something a councelor at the hospital taught me when I came out of surgery to take the pain away but I also try to do that to make the nightmares go away. See if that works.

HollyAnn
TigerCat016@aol.com

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2002 - 05:28 AM

I have really bad nightmares too, and I have a little advice for them that might work.  My counsellor told me this the other day.  When you first wake up from a nightmare, try to imagine it ending a different way.  Imagine that you are getting control of the situation and that the person harming you or making you afraid is being killed or growing smaller, or whatever works.
I am still not sure if this works, only because she just told me recently, but try it out.  It can't hurt, right?
Stay safe.

MoonFyre

#10 Cathy

Cathy
  • Contributing Member

Posted 05 April 2003 - 10:50 PM

Boosting and wishing I would have seen this a couple of weeks ago.

Cathy

#11 Guest_kat tahut_*

Guest_kat tahut_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2002 - 09:31 PM

i have a very close friend who lives on a different continent to me. i complained to her about my nightmares once, and she told me that since she couldnt be there to look after me in real life, as i was falling asleep i had to imagine she was holding me safe, and stroking my hair. she promised she would keep me safe from bad dreams, and so now whenever i have had a bad day & i'm worried i might get nightmares i just think of her looking after me & she keeps the bad dreams away.

is there someone like that for you who you could maybe come to an arrangement with? i hope so :)

love & hugs,
tanni
xxx

#12 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2001 - 11:53 PM

(((((HUGS))))) Hun i dont have any advice but i do have the fact to tell you that your not alone. Sometimes that is a comforting feeling to know that if your awake many others are too or if your having very bad dreams others are too. Maybe it would help for you to write down your nightmares or dreams for as much as you can remember, you dont have to post them if you do not want to but i always find writing is one heck of a tool. That way your mind isnt plaguing itself with each and everyone of them Hope this helps..please take care.

Donna =)

#13 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2001 - 01:00 PM

just a note on ambien, like all sleeping pills they are supposed to be for short term use, many are used as long term (been on ambien for 2+years)... a hint with ambien is take a potassium supplement if used for more than a few days... ambien depletes your natural amounts of potassium. but yeah, should help with nightmares and sleep.   less severe solutions might be kavakava and or valerian root.

angel

#14 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2002 - 08:44 PM

I have to sleep with the lights on sometimes. I wake up not being able to breathe screaming in my head, crying, clutching my little teddy bear named Rattlebutt. I have such VIVID dreams, i dream in particular about this one moment. Its awful, you are DEFINANTLY not alone.

#15 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2003 - 02:18 PM

(((((Danny))))) I have nightmares too, but I can never wake myself from them... if you have a trick to pulling yourself out of these dreams, I'd love to know... I can't even seem to take myself out of them when I'm barely asleep.

all my strength to you
-Tears

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.