Let's share something good with each other

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#31 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2002 - 04:49 PM

Lets see....

I have such a horribly inept memory of my early years, but I do remember my mother would pack us all up and take us camping when we were young. This is probably my very favorite memory. I remember my mom would build a big campfire and she would tell us kids to go get our jammy's on, then, she'd let us sit by the fire and roast marshmallows and eat junk food. It seemed like she would let us stay up late into the night and play in the fire with long sticks. My brother and I would heat up the end of the sticks, and when the end was a burning ember, we would make designs in the air. I loved sleeping in the tent also. Just being in the night air and listening to the night sounds.

Which brings me to another favorite memory. When I was 9 we had moved out to the country from a large city, and I would listen to the crickets and the frogs croaking every night. To this day, I still love to listen to the song of the frogs and the crickets. I find it very comforting.

Liadan

#32 Guest_dream of water_*

Guest_dream of water_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2003 - 05:07 PM

great thread ...

It's one of my earliest memories and it's of my father, who I have a very ambivalent relationship with, torn between real love and admiration on the one hand and vestiges of real childhood intimidation on the other.

I was two, almost three.  First canoe trip of my life.  I love anything to do with the backcountry.  My father and I were on a trip to the Beausoleil Islands, a little archipelago in Georgian Bay in the Canadian Great Lakes.  It was raining really hard and I was under a canvas tarp in the middle of the boat.  I couldn't see anything except through little rain-filled grommets.  My father sang for hours as he paddled us around, told me stories and told me that we were getting closer and closer to the islands.  That's all I remember, just the comforting rhythm of the rain under my father's baritone voice.

-------

Kevin

#33 linnea

linnea

Posted 17 August 2003 - 08:09 PM

sometimes when we hurt - it's hard to remember the positive, isn't it

#34 Lilias

Lilias
  • [for no reason.]

Posted 01 November 2003 - 10:46 AM

i remember telling my dog goodnight. she was wailing a little [she must have had a dream about hunting rabbits or something like that], but i was only about 5 years old and didn't know. i just remembered that i had read if puppies are taken apart from their mother too early, they sometimes wail because they miss the warmth of their mother & the company of their brothers&sisters. so i spent the whole night sitting right beside her [and partly in her place], telling her she was not alone. i also covered her with my bathrobe against the cold she might feel from inside, and was simply happy.

i know, this might sound horribly childish, but i do remember this vividly.
it just felt so good to care for the one who was always there and who'd never hurt me.

#

#35 ForeverDancer

ForeverDancer
  • Am I glad to see you! It's more friendly with two.

Posted 01 November 2003 - 03:03 PM

wonderful post....so good for me to think back of wonderful things that have happened in my life...cause i'm kinda hanging by a thread right now, wondering if anything good could be associated w/me.

*****T for religion******

Ok so this isn't my EARLIEST positive memory, i'll do some more thinking and try to come up with that...but a  very positive one.  i remember when i was young my family used to go camping. we would build fires and roast marshmellows and sleep out under the stars, and one time i must have been about 7 my older brother and father and i went for a walk around the lake, well it was fall and i have this picture in my head of the trail being all closed in, ducking under branches and climbing over rocks, struggling...my dad in front and my brother behind, both of them watching out for me...and then it opened up into a field and the ground was covered in red and orange leaves, and my dad started singing "i have decided to follow Jesus" and my brother and i joined in, singing at the top of our lungs as we walked onward....a beautiful memory.

#36 Stefanie

Stefanie
  • searching for me

• Contributing Member

Posted 01 November 2003 - 07:34 PM

What a wonderful thread....

My favorite earliest memory was when I was in pre-school.  My mom and my best friend from pre-school's mom took turns driving us to school every morning.  And when it was my friend's mom's turn to pick me up, my mom and I would always sit on the bottom step when I was ready for school, facing the front door, to where we could see the driveway, and we would sing until she came to pick me up.  We would sing song after song after song... we'd even make songs up.  I made one up called "I know... how about a Christmas tree?"  *tear*  Wow- it's a nice change to think about good memories of my past! Thank you for this thread (((linnea)))!!!

Love,
Stefanie

#37 ~Lindsay~

~Lindsay~
  • I believe all will be well.

Posted 02 November 2003 - 10:09 AM

Meeting my friend Gulia is definetely one of my earliest memories.  We had both moved to that area when we were three, and we met at a swim and gym class.  We bonded immediately.  And alas, I remember her coaxing me to the gym (I hated the gym part) and me coaxing her into the pool (she hated the swim part)...hmm, that sounds pretty accurate for most of our friendship!  We are pretty much total opposites, but hey, it must have worked because we've been friends for 15 years this month.

#38 stickonstars

stickonstars

Posted 03 November 2003 - 11:12 AM

This is pretty uneventful, but it makes me smile:

I was just learning to walk without having to brace myself against things all the time, so I wandered away from my mom in the backyard and went over to a potted plant near the back door and put a big handful of dirt in my mouth. :)

Kat

#39 Louise

Louise
  • Kicking arsenic

• Administrator

Posted 14 November 2003 - 03:13 AM

Kat - that is just gorgeous and the sort of thing that my own little girl does :)

#40 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2003 - 02:48 PM

I remember when I was little and we got two ducks (we lived in the city) and named them Porky and Prissy. We were making a pond for them in the backyard and mom was squatting patting some of the mud on the banks of the pond and Porky came up behind and nipped her on the bottom and she fell in the muck!!! We all laughed so hard.

Porky and Prissy ended up being Porkina and Prissy. Prissy started pecking alot and hurting Porkina so we had to give them to a lake near by.

#41 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2003 - 04:25 PM

I have a lot of very fond early memories but one that stands out the most is when I was 7 and I met my best friend.  We started out as enemies and even got into a physical fight.  After the fight we were both sent to the principals office where we were told we had to spend a week together without fighting, we soon became best friends and 25 years later we still are

#42 troy

troy
  • Troy

• Contributing Member

Posted 22 November 2004 - 06:49 PM

boost

#43 azul_sunshine

azul_sunshine
  • There is a certain magic in fighting battles past endurance

Posted 31 December 2004 - 06:35 PM

I have a few:

My dad drove a truck for the now bankrupt Emporium when I was really young. He would be gone for weeks at a time hauling triples all over the western US and sometimes all the way to Texas or Oklahoma. When he would come home he would show us postcards from the places he went and he would smell like cigarettes and gasoline (most people hate those smells but i love them). Sometime he would take one of us with him because the cabs had beds in them. I remember waking up on one such trip and seeing the sun rise over the Snake river. It was so gorgeous.

My mothers mom doesn't like me so no fond memories. My dad's parents were much older. They were 40 when my dad was born and my dad was 40 when I was born so I have very few memories of my grandpa. My grandma was legally blind from macular degeneration (sp?) but i can remember rolling her coconut and oatmeal cookies into balls for baking when I was 4 or so. She moved from Oregon with us when I was 9 and passed away when I was almost 14. She was the only person in my family to get a masters degree and was so intelligent. Her blindness was extremely frustrating. I would come home from school everyday and do my homework and then sit with her and do the New York Times crossword. I had no idea what half of the words in the questions were let alone the answers but she knew them all. It was awe inspiring and the highlight of my day.

Hugs,
Amanda

#44 Nikee

Nikee
  • Too many stars and not enough sky...

Posted 01 January 2005 - 02:07 AM

I was sitting in the car with my Mom driving on a sunny day and just listening to the radio. My mom was humming under her breath as she drove and I was resting my head against the window.

#45 MomentOfEternity

MomentOfEternity
  • Healing the little girl that lives inside me

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:09 PM

what a great idea, its a nice change

my 1st memory, i was only 10 months old. my mom, dad and i were on vacation in North Carolina. I remember my dad carrying me, and i remember laying my head on his shoulder and feeling so secure. when i told my mom about this memory, she looked at me in shock and said "YOU WERE ONLY 10 MONTHS OLD!!!"

then, i remember my 2nd birthday party. i remember hiding under the table and crying, as everyone sang to me lol. then i remember sitting on my favorite aunts lap, opening my present from her. she got me one of those things that look like a t.v. that have the picture that goes across the screen and plays music. it was orange and white.

i remember my 4th birthday party, my cousin and i had our parties together (he is only 13 days younger than me) there were ALOT of ppl there. it was so much fun.

i remember counting to my grandma when i was about 4 and saying 28 29 20-10 20-11 20-12 lol.

i remember sitting on my daddys lap, eating fudge out of the pan with him.

my favorite memory is gonna be confusing as to why its my favorite, but i will explain it after i tell what it is. my mom and dad were arguing, and i hid in the closet, terrified. i didnt come out til my mom finally found me like an hour later. i was 4 at this time. now, the reason thats my favorite memory is because that is literally the only time i ever saw my mom and dad yell at eachother, or even yell period. they never fought, they had a great relationship. i was scared because yelling like that was all new to me, at the age of 4. it is a HUGE comfort to me to know how well they got along with eachother.

i have more good memories, so i will add to this later.

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.