"Get Over It"

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#91 Steve

Steve
  • M Member

Member Away

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:01 PM

I get the "Get over it" statement from my mother.
Normally it is in the middle of an argument over something like the dish washer or a cup on the sink, you know the highly relevant stuff.
She will bring it up and say something like, "you are still bitching about school, you need to get over it."
I normally point out the relevance of school to dishwashers and how I never mention it at all but that doesn't make much difference.
I then usually say something like, "Tell me, Do you know what happened at that school and what I have to get over?"
She has never replied to that, never even tried.
I then tell her that she doesn't know because she never listened when I tried to tell her.
from then on the argument tends to loose any structure that it might have previously had

#92 MissE

MissE

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

I have heard this statement before as well. Heck, I even tell myself this all the time.

I can't help but feel like I am a weak person because I let this affect my life even to this day (even though what happened to me was over a decade ago). My question is, how do we stop hating ourselves for letting it continue to affect us? How do I explain to myself that I am valid in my emotions and that despite my attempts to assure myself that "it wasn't that bad", I fail every time?

Never mind my ranting, just gotta put it some where ;)

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.