Photo

Coping trics

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2001 - 12:32 PM

I either watch a really funny movie that I can't help but laugh at or play my Tori Amos albums really loud and sing along to ever word.  Poetry and just writing down your feelings is also helpful, it really helps to put things in perspective.  

#17 Guest_Dolphindreamer_*

Guest_Dolphindreamer_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2001 - 05:23 PM

This is a great thread :)
When things are tough, I often need to take some time for myself to try and recharge the batteries, sometimes I watch light-hearted t.v. programmes I loved when I was younger, I have quite a few on tape,have a nice snack and just try to take pleasure from the simplest of things like a beautiful sky or sunset
Emma
xxxxx

#18 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2002 - 07:57 AM

Love the Loofah... scrubbity dub dub... sangin' in the bath tuuuuuuuub... LA LA LA LA LA!!!!!!

bathe in green tea and milk-  soooooo relaxing.

#19 Laney

Laney
  • I'll find strength in pain

• Inactive Member

Posted 05 August 2002 - 11:17 AM

booooooooooooooooost

#20 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2003 - 04:09 AM

when it all gets too much i indulge my childish side wildly. My loungeroom is now mostly a cubbyhouse construction now of old bedsheets and chairs and pegs tied together to make a wierd kind of tent thing. But as a kid, I was always safe in the cubbyhouses i built where no one could find me, and i could imagine that absolutely anything was on the other side of the hanging sheets.

ps. I also found it gets harder to make a cubbyhouse when you're older, its tricky to make one i fit into!! :)

#21 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2001 - 10:45 AM

wonderful topic, els! thank you so much for posting this.

well, if i am feeling low and nothing is helping and i actually have some time to myself free of interuptions, i turn off all the lights, light a bunch of candles, and sit and sip herbal tea while listening to music that really moves me. never fail feel better albums for me are sarah mclachlan's 'fumbling towards ecstacy', kate bush's 'hounds of love', ani difranco's 'revelling/reckoning', sigur ros's 'ageatis byrjun', natalie merchants 'ophelia' and absolutely anything by tori amos. it's a ritual that brings me peace, helps me feel less alone, and soothes my soul. the gentle flickering of the candles combined with the warmth of the tea and the comfort of the music never fails to help me feel better. sometimes i end up crying, but it's always a 'cleansing and getting back to myself' cry rather than a 'things are hopeless and i just can't deal' sort of cry.

if i can't take the time to do that because my daughter's around or i have things to do, i still turn to music, but in a different way-i put on my collection of early beatles songs and sing my heart out. those songs NEVER fail to make me smile, even if it takes a little while to get into it, by the end of those cd's, i'm always feeling a little lighter. and usually, if my daughter's around, they get her singing and dancing and smiling too, which is always wonderful to see:)

thank you again for posting this! (((many hugs)))
danielle

#22 Guest_On My Way_*

Guest_On My Way_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2001 - 03:46 PM

DISNEY!! DISNEY!! DISNEY!! I pop in a Disney movie...(Cinderella as a personal fave)  :)
Disney never fails to put a smile on my face and pull at my "young at heart." Washing away my troubles for at least 80 minutes...

Love~
Di

#23 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2001 - 07:47 AM

((((Els))))

Reading this made me smile, thankyou.

You've all got it pretty much covered :) but something else that I find helpful, is writing about the nicer things in life, things that make you happy, feel positive and just plain glad to be alive.  If I'm in absolute despair and it's too difficult to put pen to paper and come up with much, I have a notebook FULL of things I have written when I was feeling more positive, and reading that is a good reminder that things get better again.  

And that's about all I can come up with right now, I'll think some more...

Take special care,
love
Maddie

#24 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2001 - 11:09 PM

(((((((HUGS)))))))) Ill repeat a post...im coping because of alot of you guys.....you guys are great so do not ever let anyone tel you different. :):)

Love ya Els....:)

Love Donna =)

#25 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2001 - 09:00 AM

((((Els))))

What a great thread!!!

I ususally go running and I just run and run until I can't run anymore. Exercise and any kind of physical activity helps me out a bunch. Hand ball is great to. ;)

If its a body memory and I hurt I usually can't run. I like to come here and try to post what I am thinking. Chatting on Im is great!! :)

Oh and I love to sing whenever I am in the shower to keep from getting scared. Plus I love to sing..I am really bad though. lol..

I am glad you girls kept boosting it... I might not have seen it. This is great. :) :)
Thank you.

smiling ~ emma

#26 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2001 - 09:27 PM

Just boosting this great thread....

R xxx

#27 els

els
  • Banned

Posted 10 November 2001 - 09:35 AM

boost....

((((((((Diana))))))))

I hope you'll find something that might work for you.

Take gentle care.

Els.

#28 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2001 - 02:30 AM

You gals are incredible.  My newst one is comming here.  Been on for hours now.  Talking on the phone but ouch the bill.  Sometimes the shower but sometimes I just wind up in the bottom of the tub.  Hugging the dogs, I live with 5 dig ones so that can get pretty entertaining.  I like to go for runs when things get really bad but haven't been able to do that lately I might have endo and pain & running don't mix.  What has worked really great latly has been to curl up in bed with the dogs.  I can't describe the safe feeling of being surounded by all of them.  Get all of us on the bed at the same time and there is no more room.  I'm so glad to have my pooches.  I'm going to try some of the music you were talking about...that sounded great.

Jen

#29 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2002 - 01:17 PM

**new here**

wow! what excellent timing!!! on my lunch break i felt about two seconds from a breakdown and was wondering what other coping skills i could learn to get me through the day!!

music seems to be a common thread amongst all of our coping mechanisms, and it is my fave. i think it helps to hear the lyrics we can identify with and maybe not feel so alone. my faves are absolutely anything by tori, david gray - 'white ladder', sarah mclachlin 'fumbling towards ecstasy', pete yorn - 'musicforthemorningafter', and ok, everyone laughs at this one, but the newest album by tiffany, the color of silence. some really good songs are on there. (and fellow red-heads always rock! :))
my other technique is to grab absolutely anything to write on, and just let loose. i must have one of the biggest post it collections, ever.
or, i go to one of the survivor websites and i feel less alone. admittedly, sickened by how many of us there are, but still, less alone. escaping hades has helped me out A LOT. or i call my mom and i just listen to her voice...

i really appreciate being able to read about everyone else's coping strategies, it was a great topic to bring up!!!

#30 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2002 - 11:16 AM

Music always makes me feel better, so does anything chocolate. I put on a song that makes me feel good and I get in the shower and let the hot water flow on me and I sing at the top of my lungs. I can't sing at all, but it makes me feel good! I also love going out shopping, getting a new shirt or pair of shoes keeps me happy for awhile.

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.