Top 10 Stupidest Comments

• Please log in to reply
835 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2002 - 11:33 AM

If I may be so bold as to join in.

1) From the friend who knew from the beginning, 5 years later on a little get together: "Aren't you over that yet??"

never mind that it hadn't ended yet,. . .or that I have PTSD,. . .or many other things.

2) From the first counselor I tried: "I really think all of this wouldn't be a problem if you would just get married." <br> (I was 22).

I politely left and cancelled all future appointments,. . .took me over a year to try therapy again.

And to throw in a positive spin,.  . . . I love my good friend who encourages me to dress up and be feminine, understanding that such a side is scarry for me at times, as my confidence in my own sexuality still wavers.

~The Westermaid

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2002 - 05:55 PM

This is more of a dumb thing to do instead of a dumb thing to say,
  I was at my brothers house spending the night and we were watching tv when his gf came and knew that I had been r*ped a couple days ago. I saw that she had a game of monopoly in her hands and when she was in the kitchen and I asked my brother why she had brought the game and he said,"she wanted to play it with you"(I am 12 she is 20) Then I screamed at him(and her) "WELL WHY DIDNT SHE BRING ALONG SOME BARBIE DOLLS AS WELL!"

#3 Guest_choirgirl_*

Guest_choirgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2003 - 05:48 PM

oh, I forgot the classic one (this bugs me in any case, but especially this one):

God does everything for a reason -and- He'll never give you more than you can handle.

as if that's supposed to make everything all better...

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2003 - 10:45 AM

((((((velmur))))))))

either that or chinese cooking... ;)

(BTW, wanker is now my new favorite word. ;) )

(Edited by flautist at 6:35 pm on Mar. 28, 2003)

#5 Rachel26

Rachel26

Posted 09 June 2003 - 08:35 AM

When I told my friend Ana about what happened, I described how he put a pillow over my face. She just looked at me skeptically and then said, "how long does it take for a person to suffocate?". So I said "about 3 minutes I think" and she said "hmmm, I thought it was a lot faster than that". I have no idea what her point was, the only thing I can think of is that she was trying to catch me out - like if he really had put a pillow over my face I would be dead so I must be lying! Sheesh...

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2002 - 11:49 AM

My last ex (though one of the sweetest and most understanding men ever) when I told him i was thinking about going to T:

"I don't know if a therapy will help...what you really need is a boyfriend who will help you forget this"

But to get back to the Top 10 part I think Lea's therapist definitely is number one

That's the solution girls (and boys...yep Troy, posting in this thread means you have to get out the needles too)...let's all start knitting...not only will that erase all our problems, we could also knit something useful...like a brain for people in desperate need of one :P

Art *heading off to buy needles and wool*

(Edited by ArTeMiS at 8:04 pm on July 2, 2002)

#7 Guest_raqueli_*

Guest_raqueli_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2002 - 03:26 PM

((((SilentFlight)))), ((((Anna))))

Those are both totally obscene responses.  I can't even believe someone could say such things.  SilentFlight, I can't imagine going to a place you expect to find support and healing and instead, you're faced with people who started such pain.  And then, by the one supposed to be providing the support, your pain is minimized into non-existence!  How terribly wrong.

And Anna, wtf with your friend's comment?  Even if he whole-heartedly believes in karma, and that it's that simple (which seems sketchy to me, although my religious beliefs are very different), you'd think he would at least have had the sense to keep it to himself.  What purpose does that comment serve?

hugs to you both,
raqueli

#8 Mary

Mary
  • MeowMary

• Contributing Member

Posted 11 March 2003 - 08:30 PM

this just happened a week or 2 ago with a guy whos kinda known all along. i told him things have been affecting me a lot more than i thought most people realized, and that dumb idiot said
"when you tell people about it are you laughing like its funny?"
WTF!

Mary

#9 Guest_Amy_*

Guest_Amy_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2003 - 05:57 PM

Or croquet.  Jeesh, the nerve of some people.  
Take care,
Amy

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2003 - 08:19 AM

I told a friend a couple weeks ago about what Kyle did to me, and she seemed supportive. Then, yesterday, she informs me that there is a big get-together planned, and I was invited, and she tried to get ahold of him, but couldn't reach him. (Lucky for me, she's not smart enough to use a phone book.) I said that was a good thing, because if she had gotten ahold of him, I wouldn't be going. She actually asked why!!! I said "Don't you remember what I told you?" "About what?" "Okay, This is the person who raped me." (I told her a couple weeks ago, before I had a label for it.) "Oh, well, you told me that he abused you, but you didn't tell me he RAPED you! Wow, I guess you wouldn't want to see him again, huh?"

Yes, because if it was "just abuse" I would be perfectly okay with seeing him. :P

#11 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2002 - 09:32 AM

on explaining to my friend that i was bringing up repressed memories of CSA:

"you sound just like a cliche."

(or should i say, FORMER friend).

#12 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2002 - 03:33 AM

(((((Barbara)))))

I can imagine how hard that was.

Autumn

#13 Shell

Shell
  • No one special

• Contributing Member

Posted 11 March 2003 - 03:56 PM

I can't believe I haven't replied to this yet. My brain must have malfunctioned...

Hmmm there are so many - where to start?

The guy I was seeing when I was attacked in college:
"Yeah right" (after laughing)

A girl who liked the guy who tried to rape me
"Why would he do that to you - he doesn't even LIKE you" which was coupled with "You're a liar" (which is why I didn't tell anyone else for 14 years)

My husband on my attempted rape
"but nothing really happened"
Thanks hon.

My husband on things still bothering me
"You need to get a hobby" (he didn't mention knitting specifically but same idea)

also
"You need to get a grip"
and "how long are you going to think about 'that crap'?"

I know there are more - these are the ones to come to mind though. I hate that all these things have been said to such lovely souls.

Shell

#14 Cira

Cira
  • One Girl Army

Posted 30 March 2003 - 03:14 PM

I've also been told in the past that meaningless sex is a cure-all for any and all sexual issues.  

Hmmm...off to cook, knit and engage in meaningless sexual encounters...

"a funny side"...What fucking nerve. (((Velmur)))

#15 Cira

Cira
  • One Girl Army

Posted 21 June 2003 - 02:39 PM

Aaaand...the 'Stupid Comment of the Day' award for today goes to my mother.

We were talking about abusive, controlling relatioinships (and no, she doesn't realize that my ex was abusive - we were talking about a friend and her relationship) and my mom says..."I will NEVER LET anyone do that to me."

Oh, yeah, 'cause it's really just a matter of 'letting' or 'not letting' it happen.  BTW, Mom, thanks for reminding me of one of the reasons I don't ever want to tell you.

Blah.
Lynn

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.