Photo

Top 10 Stupidest Comments

• Please log in to reply
819 replies to this topic

#691 Eyjafjallajokull

Eyjafjallajokull

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:01 AM

Just remember one last gem I have to add: When I had a complete breakdown at work (my attempt to go back to work within a month after the r* failed miserably) my boss said to me: "Whenever I face problems in my personal life, I like to imagine a mountain and as I look at the mountain I see the sun rise from behind it." I wanted to slap her in the face. She honestly thought that the sun rising behind an imaginary mountain was going to be helpful in this case?!

#692 wish_upon_a_star

wish_upon_a_star
  • Ne Ne

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

An interesting one by my previous psychiatrist:
"Ah, so, you were abused, that explains why you have chosen a disabled partner".....

#693 diamondeyes

diamondeyes

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

"Well, that's why you don't go on first dates alone!" Gee, thanks for the insight Mom!

:glare:

#694 x.Aurora.x

x.Aurora.x

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:04 PM

I was 10 when I was Abused by a stranger while at a New years eve party with my father, I am 20 now.

From the first person I had ever told, 5 years after the CSA, this man had stood up for me, been very supportive and understanding about my issues with my mother. So I felt I could trust him.
He put his had on my upper thigh and said...
“Did you enjoy it”
I burst into tears and then threw up. It took me two years before I was able to talk to someone about it again.

just over a year ago I had to take a form from my doctor to the benefit place with the reasons why I was unable to get a job. PTSD, Major Depression, Anxiety etc. all written on the form, the lady interviewing me looks at the form and says…
“I have problems, everyone who works here has problems and they can still get off their arse’s and be contributing members of society” she then continues to say “don’t you ever want to be normal like other people your age” I burst into tears and my bf who was with me said something to the lady and took me home, they haven't hassled me since

And a couple from my first and only T
“Your going to have to get over this, you cant expect your doctor to keep filling out sickness forms”
And then she tried to talk me into some weird treatment to recover parts I had blacked out, I told her I didn’t want to know because I probably blacked them out for a reason, she then blurts out…
“ That’s true, most children repress memories that are to traumatic to deal with” followed by “Could your father be the one who had raped you”
This really messed up my head, I had no idea who did it and never had though it was my own father until she said that.

#695 x.Aurora.x

x.Aurora.x

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

And some from my mother.
I told Mother when I was 17, and asked her to not tell ANYONE as it was still very uncomfortable and painful for me.

A few days after I told her she rang me and said…
“I was talking to my flatmate about what happened and her daughter has had the same thing happen, we think you should get together and have a chat”

She continued to tell my grandparents, her friends, most of the many borders/flatmates she has had and the people at her work about it.
Upon confronting her finally and telling her how much it hurt me that she kept telling people (some that I didn’t even know) even tho I asked her not to she said…
“Do you know how much this has effected me! You cant tell me something like that and expect me to keep it to myself, I need to get it out” Yes because its all about how it affects YOU.

Multiple times over the past three years…
“Get over it”
“Move on with your life, your just letting him win”
And many comments about me not having a job. Makes it so much harder not having your own mothers support :tear:

The conversation of children came up, I told her the thought of having children scared me and didn’t want to bring an innocent child into this world. She said “Oh great so I guess your not going to give me grandkids” again its all about HER

She rings up drunk a lot and just a few weeks ago she said...
“You are lying to me about who raped you, it was **** (little brothers father)
Wasn’t it and your lying to protect him” He wasn't even there so I have no idea why that would even occur to her.

And finally…
Not a stupid comment but a stupid/insensitive thing she did. She invited me and my bf around for a “movie night” with a few of her weird friends. The movie was about rape and incest and she didn’t tell me. My bf stood up and walked me out within the first 5min as I was crying and shaking. My mother rang up the next day and asked me “why I walked out” Some people just have no idea... and I still don't know why they were even watching that sort of shit.

Telling my mother was the worst thing I did, every day I wish I hadn’t.

#696 x.Aurora.x

x.Aurora.x

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:53 PM

Oh and one more.
After telling my doctor I was not going to try the latest pills she wanted me to take after reading about them online.
"if you don't even try the pills how can you say you want to get better, I can not come to your house every day and make you take them"

I may be getting this all wrong but, I think being depressed and having even one moment a week where you actually enjoy yourself is better that taking pills that make you feel like a damn Zombie all the time.

#697 daylily

daylily

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

(((aurora))) if ok. you deserve support and to feel safe, not pressure and selfishness around you. Im sorry :(

favorite comment from my experiences was when I first reached out to people I knew, not for support but because they were close to me and mutual friends with my ab*ser and I thought they would be willing to help keep him away from me. Not only did they not really believe me that there was a problem, but one friend I was particularly close with got mad and started yelling at me for confronting the ab*ser without abiding by the bogus rules that HE set down.

Its laughable, really.

Edited by daylily, 15 June 2012 - 10:53 PM.

#698 SummerSky

SummerSky

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:24 PM

From the first person i told, my best friend of 10 years "your lying. I know your family and i know your uncle he would never do something like that hes a good person". Oh im sorry i guess you know him better than me!

From the same friend: "if it was true you would have told your parents" and "even if it is true, its your own fault it went on for so long, if you had told someone it would have stopped so you have only yourself to blame".

Another friend "get over it. I know heaps of people who have been raped snd they r fine. Toughen up".

My boyfriend "you need to get over it. Its in the past. It was 3 years ago you need to move on with your life".

Edited by SummerSky, 19 September 2012 - 06:11 AM.

#699 goingcrazy7

goingcrazy7

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

Right after I told my friend what happened I had lunch w/ her and she said " i think everything happens for a reason even bad things like what happened to you". I wanted to hit her and say 'i'm glad you think i was raped for a reason'

#700 momtario

momtario

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

how about "Felony rape is a very serious accusation, and violent rape even more of a depraved act of inhumanity" (like I don't know that) followed by various attempts to convince you that you are making it up...

or "People don't act like/ feel like that the day after being raped." (so, you must be lying...)

#701 J725c

J725c

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

"It could have been worse."

#702 J725c

J725c

Double post, sorry

Edited by J725c, 21 September 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#703 J725c

J725c

Triple post.

Edited by J725c, 21 September 2012 - 10:30 PM.

#704 Sadmelon.

Sadmelon.

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

"So many other people have worse life's than you"

"Can't you just forget about it, and think about other things except this all the time"

"I bet you'd love to see him again wouldn't you?"
This was said after being asked if I had seen the guy who hurt me since it happened.

These were all also said by my current boyfriend who knows what has happened to me. The last one hurting the most.

Some people really have no idea :/

#705 Camellia

Camellia
  • Contributing Member

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

Sadmelon,

I'm sorry. People say stupid things all the time and they just don't think. I find the last sentence by your boyfriend particularly cruel. No one in his right mind would say that.

If okay, safe hugs :hug:

Camellia

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.