Healing Books

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#46 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2003 - 10:30 AM

I've really appreciated a number of books already mentioned on the list and would like to add: The Only Girl in the Car: A Memoir -- Kathy Dobie and Waking the Tiger: healing from trauma by Levine (I think).

(Edited by windandrain at 12:45 pm on Aug. 20, 2003)

#47 Jes

Jes
  • Jes-us Almost

• Administrator

Posted 01 April 2002 - 11:11 AM

Beauty Restored -Finding Life and Hope After Date Rape, by Me Ra Koh was a good book, which may be of interest to Christian survivors as it was a book with very religious themes.

It also presented interesting and well thought out ideas about grieving, anger and forgivess.

Jes

#48 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2002 - 08:31 PM

I see a few others here have already read a few of my selections, but I'm going to go ahead and post them anyway ...

After Silence by Nancy Venerable Raine ... Which I have read cover to cover over a few dozen times is proudly displayed on my living room table.  She has inspired me to become more open about my experience with rape, both with others and myself.  It's like recognizing things I knew about myself but was never able to put down in exactly the right words.  It helps knowing that someone else has felt exactly the way I have.

Telling by Patricia Weaver ...Also another wonderful book full of inspiration and courage.  She also has a nice website full of helpful information.

The Other Side of Silence by Christine Carter ... An authentic account of women's narratives on the topic of date rape and its aftermath.  Also deals with society's views on rape as well as how our culture builds and reinforces behavior that can lead to rape.  

Lucky by Alice Sebold ... This was the very first book I had ever read that was a straight no nonsense first hand account of rape. This book really hit home on more than one level ... Perhaps because her rape took place near where I live, I felt an odd sort of connection to her as I was able to visualize her story as it was told.  Alice presents in factual detail both her assault, rape and the events leading up to and after the conviction of her rapist.  I am looking forward to reading her upcoming release entitled, "The Lovely Bones".

These are just a few of the selections I have read though I am hoping to get my hands on more.  It seems however, that in order to do so, one has to utilize the internet to get these kinds of books.  I was extremely disappointed my last trip to Barnes and Noble in Syracuse to find that the shelves that were suppose to contain books on rape offered a very small and inadequate selection compared to the  thousands of other books availble on every other subject.  Hopefully this is not a usual occurrence in other book stores around the globe ...

#49 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2003 - 09:39 PM

I just picked up We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates and it is particularly triggering, but a wonderful book. Another good one is The Perks of Being a Wallflower, can't remember the author, a friend is borrowing it. Also, Tuesdays With Morrie is a book that really puts a new perspective on life. I bought a copy of that for a lot of my friends. ;)
-vnvprincess (Amy Lynn)

#50 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2003 - 01:32 PM

hmm . . . it's not really a novel or anything like that.  it's more of a comic (well, graphic novel)

it's "MARS" by Fuyumi Soryo.  i really identified with the main girl, Kira.  everything about her and her boyfriend Rei was like reading about me and my bf, even how she reacted to what happened to her.  it sounds weird, but it actually helped me alot.

it isnt too graphic, but she has flashbacks when she's with her bf.  plus, it's 12 or 15 volumes long

#51 Amilee

Amilee
  • I'm not an artist, I'm a work of art

Posted 18 August 2003 - 06:19 PM

I just bought "The sexual healing journey" and "The Courage to Heal workbook" but I'm deathly afraid of them.  ...and also very confused as to which one to read first....any suggestions?

#52 Roo

Roo

Posted 21 October 2003 - 06:12 PM

Sexual Healing Journey by Wendy Maltz

She put in checklists of harming behaviours we may not even realize we are doing, worksheets to pinpoint what automatic reactions we have and why, and she talks not only about women, but men.  Not only about lack of sexual interest, but sexual interest overload as response to SA (my problem, and so far I've found very little writing on the topic).  Not only rape, but molestation (also my problem which I havn't found many books on).

Something that has been helping me a lot is to underline the things that sound like me.  

The book helped me realize that I keep recreating my abuse.

#53 kiwi

kiwi

Posted 17 February 2004 - 09:58 PM

I haven't scanned replies to check if this has already been posted.

Women Who Think To Much.

I can't remember the author.

I skimmed most of it, and the small part on Abuse was dissapointing.

I would give it ago...it might suit more ppl than others.

Kiwi

#54 Guest_crystalbutterfly81_*

Guest_crystalbutterfly81_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2004 - 05:17 PM

sybil(for those suffering DID), and its pretty good, the first time i read it i was 10 and ddint apreciate it all, when i reread it after i was raped it was a totally different experience

lucky by alice sebold
lovely bones by alice sebold (i thought it was boring so i never did finish it, but i appreciate the way it was beautifully written)

She Comes Undone by Wally Lamb( i really related to the girl)

Inside Scars by Charolotte Hoffman

We Are The Mulvaneys, I saw the ,movie and always wanted to read it

The Missing Piece by Lee Ezell, about a girl who is raped and gives up the child resulted from the rape, and  how she later finds her her daughter

Treacheruos Love :an anonoymous diary by Beatrice Sparks, about a 12 year old girl who is seduced by her teacher

Speak

The Troops of Trudi Chase ( i thinks thats whats its called)

I know I've repeated some!

Since this thread is entitled "healing books"  i wanted to add something that was heaing to me just after I was raped (the weeks following). I hadnt told anyone about the rape and had been holded up in my room, feeling alone.And I was comforted (maybe not healed i guess, but soothed)  by reading childhood favotites. As a child I didnt have many friends, so books were big and important and they kept be entertained and taught me things. And I found friends within the books. They we the Babysitters Clubs books, and those girls and their babysitting adventures kept me sane. And I guess distracted from the reality what had happened. Just wanted to share that even though its sounds strange or something.

your truly, crystal :bee:

#55 lotty2004

lotty2004
  • struggling

Posted 22 February 2004 - 06:47 PM

Hi all
Most of the mentioned are not available in the UK but here are two that I found:
Healing the Hurt Within by Jan Sutton
and
Bright Red Scream by Marilee Strong

both focus on SI but very useful

I would like to read No Fairy Godmothers, No Magic Wands but unable to get it here in the UK!

Take care everyone and best wishes on your own journies of healing

Lotty

#56 kiwi

kiwi

Posted 12 March 2004 - 09:17 PM

The anxiety and phobia workbook.

It also covers PTSD.

It was pretty good. However you do need to be very motivated to put it into practice. Most of it though I was already doing (its called common sense, and applying other coping mechanisms from other areas of life).

Have a look. Even if you just skim it.

Kiwi

#57 Guest_teabags_*

Guest_teabags_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 08:37 PM

hi,
i like daily meditation books, which have a one-page message for each day, or by topic... my favorite is called Daybreak, daily meditations for women survivors of csa. i will put in the author later.

for anyone with did, amongst ourselves is a good book/workbook.

tea

#58 Guest_Lucretia_*

Guest_Lucretia_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 10:03 PM

Someone wanted a book on relationship rape?  

The Charm Syndrome is about abusive relationships and covers rape.  It's by Sandra Horley, who founded Refuge in the UK.  Great book.

The Pat Barker novels are ALL about PTSD, and she repeats herself like you've never seen (I've also caught her plagiarising from Joe Orton).  Nevertheless, the Regeneration trilogy is marvellous and the most useful book on PTSD I've read.  It's mostly about soldiers in WW1, so it's rarely directly about rape, but it is all about trauma and violation.  The individual titles are Regeneration, The Eye in the Door, The Ghost Road.

Some novels which deal with issues of rape and violation which I have found useful but which can be pretty damn triggering:

The Color Purple, Alice Walker

Possessing the Secret of Joy, Alice Walker

Cassandra: A Novel and Four Essays, Christa Wolf

And a couple of non-fiction suggestions.  Both are feminist interpretations of fairy tales which are fascinating and deal largely with female sexuality.  The first is by a Jungian analyst, the second is a classic of literary criticism.  Both are very readable.

Women who Run With the Wolves, Clarissa Pinkola Estes

From the Beast to the Blonde: On Fairy Tales and Their Tellers, Marina Warner

If you can't remember the author of a book, just put the title into a search engine and it should come up fairly quickly.

#59 Laney

Laney
  • I'll find strength in pain

• Inactive Member

Posted 29 April 2004 - 04:41 PM

"To Take Away the Hurt: Insights to Healing" by Flavia Weedn (you can buy it at www.flavia.com)

It's a collection of stories by the author and her daughter about times of hurt and loss in their lives, not rape related, but the common threads of loss and rebuilding are there.  It has a sort of spiritual tone, but it isn't religious per se.  It's definately a 2 box of tissues book.

From the introduction:

"To believe is to know that every day is a new beginning.  It is to trust that miracles hapen.  To believes is to find the strength and courage that live within us when it is time to pick up the pieces and begin again.  To believe is to know we are never alone, that life is a gift, and this is our time to cherish it." - Flavia

Ok maybe a 3 box of tissues book.

#60 delicate

delicate

Posted 25 May 2004 - 11:50 AM

I loved foxfire, if you want to be in touch with that rebel spirit.

Everyone needs a good rebellion from time to time!
Opening to the spirit[U] by Caroline Arewa

In the meantime by Iylana Vanzant

The bodiancious book of succulence by sark

are all good ones!

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.