Healing Books

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#31 linnea

linnea

Posted 05 February 2002 - 09:56 PM

Great thread and my top picks have already been taken.

"The Gift of Fear" by de Becker really is a must read.  I learned more about keeping myself safe and trusting my instincts.

The Wounded Heart by Dan Allendar is also excellent and is a Christian resource.

If you're interested in the more psychological kind of stuff, Judith Herman's "Trauma and Recovery" is excellent.

#32 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2002 - 10:08 AM

Just read Charles de LInt's The Onion Girl.

It's a fantasy with main characters that were abused in childhood and the lives that happened after. Very much an entertaining read if you like nature/fey fantasy, not horribly triggering for me, but it is for childhood trauma, prostitution, and life "after".

Worth a look into.

#33 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2002 - 01:02 PM

There is a whole series of books by a woman named Louise Hay. I had purchased books on tape so that I can listen to them on the way to work and so on whenever I wanted to. If you want to get the actual book, it is called You Can Heal Your Life. She also has Self Esteem and controlling fears books. Again I get them on audio.

#34 red line

red line
  • Gnomey

• Inactive Member

Posted 20 July 2002 - 07:57 PM

Fluxus- I agree about The Survivor's Guide- i looked through it at Barnes and Noble but I was on my lunch hour and I did not want to bring that book back to work...also it can be triggering if you are not ready for it..so everyone be careful

Also- I have only seen the movie "Bastard out of Carolina"... I had not put the pieces of my own past together yet..but I knew much more about my mother's past...which was that time period in that type of town (can't remember if it is the same town or not) in SC- just as that book was set...it can be helpful, but it is very triggering.

#35 bailey

bailey
  • lurker

Posted 04 December 2002 - 04:46 PM

"Recovering from Rape" by Linda Ledray, RN, PH.D
Very helpful, at the end of each chapter it has a section for 'significant others' that talks about things discussed in the chapter.

"Journey to Wholeness" by Vicki Aranow and Monique Lang, it's a workbook, and some of the exercises are kind of hokey, but most are good.

"Still Loved by the Sun" by Migael Sherer, it's a journal she kept until a year after the rape. Very triggering, but very helpful.

~bailey

#36 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2003 - 09:30 PM

some Beautiful fiction to escape with...

Book of shadows - Phyllis Curott - I actually read this one during my dv relationship; helped me find the courage to get out :)

Veronica decides to die - Paul Coelho - a reminder of the sheer beauty of life; very uplifting

Fifth Sacred thing - Starhawk - this vision of what society could be like is just so inspiring. Hope in a book!

The Rythym Section + (sequel) Chameleon - Mark Burnell
An amazing story of a woman assasin. feels like it's been written by a woman. Deals with personality/behavioural changes in the face of violence, emotional repression, sheer survival etc. This is the book that made me recognise myself as an amazing strong woman (like the main character) Very easy to relate to, this writer obviously understands the nature of violence in many forms.  

#37 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2003 - 05:08 PM

"After Silence: Rape and My Journey Back"
by: Nancy Venable Raine

I'm sure this book has been posted on here before!

#38 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2003 - 01:12 PM

"i never called it rape"

for those who are dealing with date rape this book is especially powerful.

#39 Guest_Tanki_*

Guest_Tanki_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2003 - 08:25 PM

Trauma and Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence, from Domestic Abuse to Political Terror
Author: Judith Herman

I have yet to finish it, but out of trama books this is the only one that i've read so far.

#40 ellen

ellen

Posted 19 August 2003 - 10:35 AM

Three books..."The Regeneration Trilogy" by an Englishwoman by the name of Pat Barker...looks at the effects of multigenerational trauma. A rather sizable investment of time, but well worth it.Sorry, but I can`t recall the titles of the individual books.

#41 scardycat

scardycat
  • Am I there yet?

Posted 10 September 2003 - 06:04 AM

"In their own words" by jackie hayden.
Published by Hot Press Books on behalf of the Wexford Rape and Sexual abuse Support service.

I havent actually read all of this yet, but it is the first book i have ever come across written for Irish survivors.  It has contributions from counsellors, a garda, legal counsel, dircetor of the Wexford Rape Crisis Centre and also some survivor stories and resources in Ireland.

Definitely worth a look.

#42 Jes

Jes
  • Jes-us Almost

• Administrator

Posted 13 April 2002 - 11:24 AM

Mike Lew's book, Victim's No Longer is an excellent resource for male survivors.

Hugs,

Jes

#43 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2002 - 12:23 PM

I recently read a book about a woman who was raped and she is just so courageous. I thought i'd share this with u all, in case anyone wants to read it too, maybe some of u already read it..
It's called: I have life - Alison's Journey , written by Marianne Tamm.

It's about Alison who was raped by 2 men and almost killed in South-Africa, and she just refused to die, and she brought the 2 men to court.
Alison is so brave, she is just wonderful...it was so inspiring to read, the beggining when she tells about the raped its very triggering. But when she talks about her healingproces..it makes me wish i had her strength..

I can recommend it, and just wanted to share it with u..

Love Sophie

#44 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2003 - 01:12 PM

"I Can't Get Over It" was the strongest, most important factor in helping me heal (basically in lieu of a therapist), and understand that what I went through was traumatic. And it still helps me, with coping and learning triggers. I think I've immensely grown from it, learning about myself and who I have the potential to become.

#45 Guest_choirgirl_*

Guest_choirgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2003 - 08:01 PM

fiction has had an amazing impact on my healing, mostly just by making me feel less alone, less wierd, and reading stories about girls with endings that always work out in healing.

"When She Hollers" by Cynthia Voigt - I picked this up at a rummage sale a few years ago, when I was pretty much ignoring what had happened to me.  it deals with sexual abuse from a stepfather, but it really opened the flood gates on everything for me.  it's a really fast, easy (not emotional wise) read.

"Speak" by Laurie Halse Anderson - this was a really popular teen book two years ago.  I borrowed it from a friend and read it in a way.  it was really powerful to me because I felt the same way that the girl did, except I didn't let people see it.

I also found that "The Luckiest Girl in the World" by Steven Levenkron triggered a lot of new realizations about my life, even if they were not specifically about the assult.  it reads more like a case study than a true novel.  still, it's an amazing novel for those who inflict self harm.  (and the girl has my same first name, which just hit me even harder.)

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.