• broken and beautiful

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

How do you breathe from your stomach?

#47 intrepidshe

intrepidshe
  • Intrepid She

• Contributing Member

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

One way to learn how to breathe from the stomach that I learned is to lay down on a bed and lay your arms over your head on the bed above you.

What this does is open up the rib cage.

When you do this your stomach muscles do the breathing work, which is how we are naturally designed to breath.

I find it hard to do this type of breathing when I'm sitting. So, another thing I learned is to stretch my hands above my head, holding them loosely together and reaching up high. Not making my upper body tense, just reaching up high, but comfortably. This also causes your abdominal muscles to do the work of breathing.

My therapist says to breathe in slowly through the nose and breathe out slowly through the mouth but to blow gently.

I will breath out as far as I can trying to completely empty my lungs. For some reason that really helps me on the next breath to breathe in fully. I have a tendency not to be able to take in a fully breath.

#48 Harbor

Harbor
  • broken and beautiful

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:07 PM

I tried it, it did help me breathe with my stomach, but being in that position was a bad, bad, bad, bad, bad trigger for me. Can't do that again. weep.gif

#49 intrepidshe

intrepidshe
  • Intrepid She

• Contributing Member

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

I tried it, it did help me breathe with my stomach, but being in that position was a bad, bad, bad, bad, bad trigger for me. Can't do that again. weep.gif

Oh, I'm so sorry! Maybe you'll find some way to do this that isn't triggering. I'm sitting with you, if OK.

Intrepid

#50 Kate

Kate
  • Swirling round with this familiar parable...

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:27 AM

Hey Harbor - maybe this might be of help? http://www.clear-min...techniques.html

You don't need to lie down to practice belly breathing, if that is triggering for you. 

I find belly breathing to be very calming and grounding. The video in the clip at the site above shows a technique of placing one hand on your chest and one on your stomach - I find it more helpful for me to place two hands on my stomach, one above the other, rather than one on my chest, but again, whatever works for you is the thing to do. And really focussing on inhaling through my nose calmly, and exhaling through my mouth slowly and steadily and breathing out every last bit of air from my lungs is more soothing and relaxing than I could have ever imagined! :P

#51 Harbor

Harbor
  • broken and beautiful

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

Thanks!

#52 Qrious

Qrious

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:57 AM

Thanks for this. Used to get 'mild' panic attacks just with breathing difficulties but since confronting things a couple of weeks ago, got the full on shakes, sickness, whirring thought thing described, almost all the time. Good to know what it is, and what helps

#53 MissE

MissE

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for this. Used to get 'mild' panic attacks just with breathing difficulties but since confronting things a couple of weeks ago, got the full on shakes, sickness, whirring thought thing described, almost all the time. Good to know what it is, and what helps

I am so sorry Q :( I hope they get better! I hated getting them, the worst out of control feeling ever. Sending you lots of love and support!

Light and healing be with you!! 

~E

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.