Photo

Silly question... google...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jess_S

Jess_S

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:15 AM

Why does google have an account on this forum?  It was active members "google", "bing", "yahoo".  Is that the search engines?  omg if it is... I assume there's a robots.txt file somewhere to stop the google bots logging everything?  eeep!

Jx

Edited by Jess_S, 19 June 2014 - 07:16 AM.

#2 Sam_Guy

Sam_Guy
  • Mike

• Contributing Member

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:25 AM

Jess,

This question has come up before.  It upset a lot of us when they started showing up after the last update.  But the bots just have access to the Public areas like anyone else that's not a member would be able to access.

Hope this helps.

Mike

#3 Jess_S

Jess_S

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:03 AM

Umm. Sorry. Okay that is sort of embarrassing. I really should have known that given I have an MSc in computer science and am studying for a PhD... Awks. Jx

#4 Sam_Guy

Sam_Guy
  • Mike

• Contributing Member

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:15 AM

I'm a professional geek too and I reacted exactly the same way when I first saw it, that's why I answered.  Given where we are and why, it's understandable that our first reaction comes from our paranoia.  Take care.

#5 Sami1961

Sami1961

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

Jess_S  thanks for asking the question. It's important to find out so we can continue to feel safe so we can relate to each other honestly. There are no stupid questions.

Edited by Sami1961, 19 June 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#6 Susan

Susan

Member Away

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

Hi Jess,

All I can add here has already been said really but please - there are no silly questions! We're glad to answer any concerns members may have! That's why this forum was created. :)

Sam_Guy is correct. the Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc search bots are blocked from the main board by our software - they only have access to the public forums like anyone else on the internet. You must be a registered member to view the main forums.

Take care,

Susan 

#7 blondie2002

blondie2002
  • I'm Awesome! Section Moderater for "MyLife"

• Section Moderator

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:50 AM

So " search bots" exists? Wow freaky. :blink: I'm glad that they only have limited access.

#8 dino

dino
  • In orbit

• Contributing M Member

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

Sam_Guy is correct. the Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc search bots are blocked from the main board by our software - they only have access to the public forums like anyone else on the internet. You must be a registered member to view the main forums.

True, but it's good to know that robots pick up and index your blog posts if you don't change the settings for them, they're also viewable for anyone without having to log on. Last time I checked the "Allow guests to view your Blog" was ticked as default. I'm honestly not so happy with that idea.

Change that in your profile/blog/settings.

Edited by dino, 12 July 2014 - 08:31 AM.

#9 dino

dino
  • In orbit

• Contributing M Member

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

Hey dino,

The "allow guests to view your blog" only applies to registered members, so no worries about the search engines or outsiders reading your blog entries. smile.png The private setting blocks everyone from viewing. This means the blog is for your eyes only. I hope this helps clarify things!

Take care,
Susan

Unfortunately not. Try visit the forum without logging on, most boards aren't there ... but try click the links provided in the "Recent Blog Posts"-box. Violà! blink.png (I will try to log out and give it a go....)

Edited by dino, 13 July 2014 - 10:32 AM.

#10 dino

dino
  • In orbit

• Contributing M Member

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

Yup, I could fully access the five or so blog posts linked in the Recent Blog Posts-box, without being logged in. Once following a link I can read all other entries posted by the user in question, too.

To me that's a security issue.

#11 Susan

Susan

Member Away

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

That is a security issue! Thanks dino!

The "allow guests to view your blog" only applies to registered members, so no worries about the search engines or outsiders reading your blog entries. smile.png The private setting blocks everyone from viewing. This means the blog is for your eyes only. I hope this helps clarify things!

The issue dino has found where you can click on a blog from "latest blog entry" box and view all of that bloggers entries without being logged on is a temporary glitch we're working on right now!

We'll post back here when resolved. smile.png

#12 dino

dino
  • In orbit

• Contributing M Member

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

Glad to have this noticed, hopefully it's soon fixed in the software.

I want to point out we can all easily change the local settings and turn this glitch off. Just do like this:

In your blog's main page, look for "options", then click "manage settings" and untick the "Allow guests to view your Blog" - you're done!

// D

#13 Susan

Susan

Member Away

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

Thanks dino!~

There's an announcement up now about this. There was no global fix so everyone will have to fix this on their individual blog. Simply click on "options" then "settings" then uncheck the box next to "allow guests to view". Viola! All fixed! :) 

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.