Photo

Private messaging

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pixxi

Pixxi
  • One day at a time

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:25 AM

Hi, I'm just wondering whether it wouldn't be a good idea to put a minimum post count before being able to send pm's like there is with the chat function? I'm not sure that its even possible, just thought I'd mention it.

I dunno if I'm just being paranoid but it makes me uncomfortable when I receive a message from someone who has posted no posts or only one or two, especially if the message directly refers to a post I've written.
Okay, I'm pretty sure I sound really paranoid but its something thats been worrying me so might aswell mention it.

Pixxi
:metoyou:

#2 Aisia

Aisia
  • Inactive Member

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

I haven't had many pm requests but the few out of the blue ones have made me uncomfortable.

#3 Charleigh

Charleigh
  • Contributing Member

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

I can see how this would be uncomfortable. Remember though that you are in control of what you read and what you don't you always have the option of deleting it.

#4 Sasha

Sasha
  • Still here

• Chatterator

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

It's also good to remember that a lot of the times people are sending pms to reply to a board post you have made, to reach out and support you or to welcome you to pandys. if at any time you get a pm that makes you feel unsafe or upset you can always forward it to one of the board mods

#5 Pixxi

Pixxi
  • One day at a time

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

So I guess I was just being paranoid. I just thought that maybe there should have been a similar minimum post count to be able to send messages, like the minimum posts you need to make to be able to chat for the safety of users. I guess its not feasible though, it would probably dissuade people from participating on Pandy's.

Thanks anyway guys.

#6 Anath

Anath
  • Dragonrider

• Contributing Member

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

So I guess I was just being paranoid. I just thought that maybe there should have been a similar minimum post count to be able to send messages, like the minimum posts you need to make to be able to chat for the safety of users. I guess its not feasible though, it would probably dissuade people from participating on Pandy's.

Thanks anyway guys.
Posted Image

I think it might be difficult to include this, because it might prevent new members from contacting staff (mods, section mods, chat mods, team welcome etc) when they first join if they have a question or want to raise a concern in private or something.

If something feels 'off' about a PM, you can always ask a mod and they can look into it for you. If you just don't feel comfortable reading/replying to a member of the board who has PM'ed you, I think it's ok to ignore it - it's ok to have your own boundaries. I think sometimes people either aren't sure how to use to forum and might PM someone by mistake, or might not feel comfortable replying on the board yet, and it might not have occurred to them that they might make someone uncomfortable by receiving a PM from someone they don't even know at all on the board.

I think most times people are trying to be helpful, supportive and friendly. If someone sends you a PM asking for information about you though, or makes you feel uncomfortable in some other way, do refer that to a mod because nobody should be doing that.

#7 Kate

Kate
  • Swirling round with this familiar parable...

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

I can only echo Anath. And also, unfortunately we are limited to the features of the software we use for this board and having this kind of restriction is not something we can enable.

If you are uncomfortable with a PM, please feel welcome to report it to us if you believe it is against the board guidelines. If you are uncomfortable with the member contacting you out of the blue, it is absolutely okay to let them know politely that you don't feel comfortable continuing to talk with them but that you hope to see them around on the board and get to know them better that way before any future private conversations.

A lot of new members in particular are so eager to start talking that they don't realise the lack of etiquette it is to just message somebody out of the blue asking personal questions. Setting your boundaries can be a good way to make it clear to them that the same social rules apply here as in the real world. You don't walk up to strangers and ask them personal questions, and it isn't really appropriate to do that here either.

#8 tinyrabbit

tinyrabbit

Member Away

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

If you don't want PMs you can turn off the ability to receive them in your settings.

#9 Pixxi

Pixxi
  • One day at a time

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

Thanks so much everyone for hearing me and reassuring me.

I'm feeling much better about it now, and I think I may have been over-reacting slightly.
Thanks again

#10 Kate

Kate
  • Swirling round with this familiar parable...

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:46 AM

It's not a problem at all hon, it's always okay to ask!

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.