Photo

agoraphobia

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 willowjames

willowjames

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:26 PM

Does anyone know where I can find safe sites to talk with ppl who also have agoraphobia? I really could use someone to talk with about this, I was recently diagnosed but I think it is starting to get worse. Thank you

#2 Katy

Katy
  • Life is understood backwards, but must be lived forwards.

• Contributing Member

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

Unfortunately I don't know of any specific sites Willow, but please know that you're very welcome to talk about it here :hug:

#3 willowjames

willowjames

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

Unfortunately I don't know of any specific sites Willow, but please know that you're very welcome to talk about it here :hug:

Thank you :)

#4 Tracy

Tracy
  • I am Me

• Contributing Member

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:46 PM

Hereis a support forum. I don't know anything about it, though...so, I can't tell you how busy of a forum it is or anything such as that...but, might be worth looking into

#5 willowjames

willowjames

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

Hereis a support forum. I don't know anything about it, though...so, I can't tell you how busy of a forum it is or anything such as that...but, might be worth looking into

Thank You :)

#6 Louise

Louise
  • Kicking arsenic

• Administrator

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:22 AM

((((((Willow)))))))

You poor darling, you have my utmost empathy. I have been living with agoraphobia for about four years - I have had great therapy so I can live well with it even though it isn't gone, and you are very very welcome to talk to me anytime. The really bad stages where it seems to be worsening are hell. But you can, and will beat it with the right help.

Take care,

Lou

#7 willowjames

willowjames

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

i am agoraphobic as well. i have around 5 safe places that i can be alone. i feel okay with my closest friend but get overwhelmed beyond a certain point-trouble being i never know when that might be. thankfully, all i have to say to her is 'i'm about done' and she KNOWS. agoraphobia is in degrees and i'm fighting it because it was actually worse. now i can get a few things during the day (i couldn't stand to be in crowds or to be seen so i would go at night) if need be (only one or two errands otherwise i panic), am attempting to do one pleasant thing out of my house every week during the day and for now those are my challenges. i go out for therapy (safe place) so i can not and will not count it as an outing. my car is safe. my friends' homes are pretty safe most of the time. it's very hard to explain and people think i'm avoiding them. my family is clueless. they think i'm super sensitive but they don't know the actual diagnosis. i've only just shared with my brother the PTSD diagnosis and told him that was why i have cancelled last minute sometimes because i freak. i WANT to be with certain people doing happy things but my mind won't let me.

just want you all to know you're not alone. i have figured out what the trigger was for this for me and why it got so much worse. i am beginning to have hope but it's hard, hard, hard. seems like i eat less the days i go out (like i have to be punished for being out) and i'm anorexic so it's kind of a double whammy but so far i've met my once a week out goal this year and i'm very pleased about that.

less than two years ago i could absolutely end up on the floor to reach out and get my mail so this is better. i know there are a couple of groups but i was worried that they would push people to get out more or tell people that being in all the time was okay. i wanted a grey area so i shared my goals with my T three weeks after i started (didn't want to jinx it! lol) and am doing alright.

did i mention this is hard? yeah. i really empathize. i send you hope and courage.

Thank you for replying. Congratulations to you on achieving your goals :), it does sound like you are going through so much. Your post has helped me a lot, maybe I could start setting some goals.

#8 willowjames

willowjames

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

well, i blew it this week. :glare: the thing is i have to be kind to myself regardless of whether i make the goal or not. i'm upset about it but it was a very difficult week. if you want to pm about this i do understand and i'm happy to listen. i doubt i'll ever be somebody who loves to go hang out in a big public mall but that's okay. i think a lot of people think agoraphobia is an all or nothing thing and it's not. it can be but usually isn't. i wish i understood why some days i feel safe and others i don't at all but it's probably some thing gone haywire in my brain and all i can do is try gently and do gently rather than shoving myself out and ending up feeling worse. be good to yourself, first and foremost. don't hesitate to write if you want.

Well it's good to see you are working on not blaming yourself :). Sorry to hear you had a bad week though, you are also welcome to pm if you like.

#9 squinky

squinky

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:37 AM

http://anxietyforum....forum/forum.php

I cant recommend it as to whether its yeay or nay yet as have only joined this morning, but seems friendly enough from some of the posts have read :) Will say try it and can always delete if its not ok :)

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.