Healing books and online resources

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MelK

MelK
  • Grrr

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:41 AM

Hi,

I've managed to find the healing books section on pandys, but with some trouble because it's under "entertainment". I wonder if other people, like me, would look for something like this in "resources" and not find anything. Is it possible to link to this from the resources section, so if people look there they'll be redirected?

Also, I wondered whether there could be a similar subforum for online articles and websites? I realise it might not be so straightforward because the threads couldn't be as easily named in a post header as when you have a book title, but maybe they could be by website name or under themes like relationship violence? There's an area that I'm trying to deal with - in a spoiler in case the word's a trigger
Spoiler
and it's very hard to find any books or relevant websites about it but I'm gradually finding some online articles which are really helpful. It would be good to have a designated place to share things like this, and to get links from other people.

Any chance of this?

Mel

#2 Kate

Kate
  • Swirling round with this familiar parable...

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:32 AM

Hi Mel,

Apologies for taking a few days to get back to you - we've been discussing your suggestion! Thank you for getting contact with us about this. We've chatted about the Book Discussion forum and we are looking at moving it to the Moving Forward forum, where it will be more geared towards discussions about healing and further self-learning and hopefully more visible to members. We aim to keep the Resources section for information about crisis centres and hotlines, which is why we decided not to move the forum in there. The Resources forum is also a public forum, which could restrict some members who aren't comfortable in those forums from engaging in discussion about the books.

As for the links, have you ever seen the Links section of the site? It's a place were members can post helpful links they have come across, separated out into various categories. We have one category called "Topic Specific Support" - we would be more than happy to create a category within it for torture or any other kinds of links you are wanting to post.

You might have noticed that in the Essays and Articles section we have some externally hosted articles from other sites. If you ever come across an article that you feel is well written and informative, please don't hesitate to pass it along to us so we can decide if it will fit in with our collection of articles and can ask the author for permission to link to it. In fact, please do send them along because we would love to expand our library in this area!

We also value members writing up their own articles, outlining information about a topic and if they want to, sharing their own personal perspective. If you would like to write something about the healing process of being a survivor of torture, please feel welcome to send a draft along for us a check out. We've all had such a great range of experiences and have so much to offer each other. If you don't feel ready for that right now though, there is absolutely no pressure.

Take care,
Kate

#3 MelK

MelK
  • Grrr

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:05 AM

Hi Kate,

Thank you for you response, and to you and the other mods for considering this.

The Links section is great! It's just what I meant but I never knew it was there. Thank you for the offer to set up torture as a specific topic - please could someone do this? I haven't found much but I can share what I have and maybe other people can add more.

I think moving the book discussion to Moving Forward would be a good idea. I'd have found it there. I hadn't thought about Resources being a public forum, and I understand what you said about it being for crisis support.

I'll bear in mind what you said about linking to articles as well. The idea of drafting one myself about healing from torture is interesting. I think it could help my healing to do that. Thanks for suggesting it, I'll give it some thought.

Thank you all again for discussing this.

Mel

#4 Susan

Susan

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:00 PM

Hi Mel,

I've gone ahead and set up a subcategory for torture under the main category, "Topic Specific Support" so you can add your links whenever you're ready.

Take care,
Susan

#5 Kate

Kate
  • Swirling round with this familiar parable...

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:13 AM

We'd love to have an article from you, whenever you were ready :)

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.