Photo

I have to reinstall Java inorder to access Chat

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 blondie2002

blondie2002
  • I'm Awesome. Section Moderator 4mylife.

• Section Moderator

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:58 PM

I haven't been able to access chat since my brother helped me get rid of some viruses I had, and I was wondering if Java is harmful to my computer? (I really hope not, I want to get back to chatting.) btw I can access it from my parent's computer.

#2 Charleigh

Charleigh
  • Contributing Member

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:06 PM

It shouldn't be

#3 blondie2002

blondie2002

• Section Moderator

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:43 PM

ok I'll try it and see what happens.

#4 Lyndsie

Lyndsie
  • dancing in the rain

• Contributing Member

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:01 AM

It should be fine. Its completely up to you if you install it, but chat does need Java to operate. A lot of internet websites use Java, as do games, etc.

#5 SilentOnes

SilentOnes

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:59 PM

Java in and of itself is not harmful to your computer - however, Java when it updates to a new version just leaves the older version on your computer. This can cause issues (it did on my old laptop - got a couple viruses that way). I now have a (free) program called JavaRA that I can run after I install or update Java that gets rid of the old versions which could cause a security risk to my computer.

For more information about preventing, detecting, and curing your computer from threats, I suggest this article from dottech . On that list, it includes JavaRA along with a link - I downloaded mine from download.com as they ensure that their downloads are free from nasty bugs.

#6 blondie2002

blondie2002

• Section Moderator

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:21 PM

:cool: thanks for the tips guys. :hi5:

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.