Photo

Triggers ~ when should I mark my topics?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 travers09

travers09

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:21 AM

Hi, I've noticed that in topics, sometimes people write triggers as a warning. I've done it to, but I don't exactly know why. I know a trigger can trigger someone, and I would hate to do that to someone. But I'm not exactly clear on what qualifies as a trigger in our posts. Is there a list of things I shouldn't talk about? I'm not saying that something in a post wouldn't trigger someone, I would just like to know so I could mark my posts appropriately. :) I'm soo confused :dohdoh: Thanks.

Edited by travers09, 25 May 2011 - 01:36 AM.

#2 pinkshell

pinkshell

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:11 AM

That is an excellent question. I've been wondering the same thing.

Peace, Pinkshell

#3 *WishUponAStar*

*WishUponAStar*

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:11 AM

i always struggle with this too, even tho i've been here for ages, lol.

if a post contains anything to do with abuse, i put a trigger warning on it just to be safe. if the post contains really descriptive abuse, then i put an extra trigger warning within the actual writing of the post as well.

hope this helps:)

#4 Ash

Ash
  • AshterDashter PassMeTheCakeFaster

• Contributing Member

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:10 AM

Hi Travers,

The trigger warning thing is pretty subjective, so we don't have any specific rules. We usually remind members that any post here could be potentially triggering, and advise them to take care of themselves as they read the boards. We usually suggest putting trigger warnings on posts that contain graphic details, swears or other real words and mentions of suicide, religion or self-injury.

If you think something could be triggering, it never hurts to put a note at the top, "T for ______" to let members know what they might expect!

I hope that helps!

Ash

#5 travers09

travers09

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:36 PM

Oh ok, thanks! Good thing because I didn't suspect religion. :cool:

#6 SurvivingTheStorm

SurvivingTheStorm

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:25 PM

Honestly, I find the whole issue of putting trigger warnings on posts a bit frustrating. Usually I save trigger warnings only for graphic posts or posts that deal with very touchy subject matter(religion, sexuality, etc). However, when I am reading other member's topics I often see trigger warnings where they are really not necessary at all. I downright ignore trigger warnings because a lot of the time there's nothing all that triggering in people's posts. Now, in forums like the one where you can share your story, that's different and most of those posts probably need warnings... but at the same time, if I go into that forum I assume that all posts are triggering. For that matter, I assume that any and every post on this site can be triggering just because of the nature of why this board exists.

I guess I don't understand why trigger warnings are necessary at all except for extremely graphic posts about someone's story or something else of that nature. I think it is quite a bad idea to put a trigger warning on posts that are just talking about basic stuff with no details(like I really do not think a warning is necessary just because a member may be using "real" words, for example) because then people who don't ignore trigger warnings like I do may just not read topics with trigger warnings at all... and thus may prevent a lot of members from getting responses to their topics. I'm not trying to start any problems here, but this is an issue I've noticed here for awhile but especially lately.

#7 Susan

Susan

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:27 PM

Hi STS,

You've made some very valid points. I can understand how it might be frustrating for you and others to see so many trigger warnings. However, this system protects members who may not be as far along in their healing. While it's difficult to prevent someone from being triggered on a site such as this if they are feeling vulnerable, we can attempt to give warnings to soften the impact.

Take care,
Susan

#8 QMCwife

QMCwife

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:55 PM

maybe Im just not grasping the concept. I have heard the word trigger over the years. I dont know a trigger for what? Maybe its because Im always in a state of panic.. just part of the PTST. Im jut not understanding it. I certainly dont want to cause anyone distress or harm, so maybe if you can explain what it means.. Im really not trying to be difficult. At one time I had this same discussion with my counsoler and she never could really explain it to me. Sorry, I really am trying to understand this.

#9 SurvivingTheStorm

SurvivingTheStorm

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:43 PM

Hi STS,

You've made some very valid points. I can understand how it might be frustrating for you and others to see so many trigger warnings. However, this system protects members who may not be as far along in their healing. While it's difficult to prevent someone from being triggered on a site such as this if they are feeling vulnerable, we can attempt to give warnings to soften the impact.

Take care,
Susan

Hi Susan,
You've made some valid points as well. However, sometimes the moderators here seem to be contradicting themselves. On the one hand you all say that trigger warnings are for "protecting" members who may not be as far along in their healing... and then on the other end of the spectrum you ladies also *frequently* stress personal responsibility regardless of what stage of healing you are in. I guess what I'm not getting is why I'm hearing two conflicting messages here(I may be wrong, but this is how it looks to me).

While I can certainly understand putting trigger warnings on graphic posts and on posts about very sensitive subjects, I still do not understand why trigger warnings are necessary just because the word rape for example might be in someone's post? If someone is going to really get triggered just by seeing the *word* rape then they probably shouldn't be logging onto this site at all until they've gotten to a point where it doesn't trigger them so badly.

I do not want to cause any trouble, I think I'm just missing something here. If any moderator could clear this up for me I would appreciate it greatly. Thank you for taking the time to listen to my concerns.

-STS

#10 Ash

Ash

• Contributing Member

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:31 PM

maybe Im just not grasping the concept. I have heard the word trigger over the years. I dont know a trigger for what? Maybe its because Im always in a state of panic.. just part of the PTST. Im jut not understanding it. I certainly dont want to cause anyone distress or harm, so maybe if you can explain what it means.. Im really not trying to be difficult. At one time I had this same discussion with my counsoler and she never could really explain it to me. Sorry, I really am trying to understand this.

Hey QMCwife,

You're not being difficult at all :)

A trigger can be different for every person, but it's usually something (a word, scent, sound, image) that triggers or brings up a difficult memory. For someone, it might be a song that was playing during an attack, or a word that an abuser used. Someone else might have a better definition! Does that help at all?

#11 Ash

Ash

• Contributing Member

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:39 PM

Hi STS,

Take care,
Susan

Hi Susan,
You've made some valid points as well. However, sometimes the moderators here seem to be contradicting themselves. On the one hand you all say that trigger warnings are for "protecting" members who may not be as far along in their healing... and then on the other end of the spectrum you ladies also *frequently* stress personal responsibility regardless of what stage of healing you are in. I guess what I'm not getting is why I'm hearing two conflicting messages here(I may be wrong, but this is how it looks to me).

While I can certainly understand putting trigger warnings on graphic posts and on posts about very sensitive subjects, I still do not understand why trigger warnings are necessary just because the word rape for example might be in someone's post? If someone is going to really get triggered just by seeing the *word* rape then they probably shouldn't be logging onto this site at all until they've gotten to a point where it doesn't trigger them so badly.

I do not want to cause any trouble, I think I'm just missing something here. If any moderator could clear this up for me I would appreciate it greatly. Thank you for taking the time to listen to my concerns.

-STS

Hey STS,

I don't think there's any one answer to your question. Triggers are so subjective, and I know it's a topic that has been discussed at length since Pandy's beginnings. I may be mistaken, but I don't think there's a rule that a trigger warning is necessary if someone is using the word "rape". I think a lot of members do that if they themselves are triggered by the word, or because they're worried about unnecessarily triggering someone. But I agree that members are ultimately responsible for themselves, and have to expect that what they read here will likely be triggering.

There are far too many posts on the board for us to monitor the trigger warnings, which is probably why some unnecessary ones slip through. The mods will add trigger warnings in if something is really graphic or possibly unexpected (for example, a mention of self-injury outside of the self-injury forum). If you do happen to notice a trigger warning on a post that isn't triggering at all, and you think it's preventing the member from getting support, you can always report it to us so we can have a look!

Does that answer your questions at all?

Ash

#12 SurvivingTheStorm

SurvivingTheStorm

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:53 PM

Hi Ash,
Yes that does clear things up, thank you! :)

#13 travers09

travers09

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:47 PM

Yes sorry, I guess I have been putting trigger warnings on my posts when they don't necessarily need one. But just because I wasn't sure when to use them or what exactly was a trigger. So thanks again all for clearing this up.

#14 astralvigilante

astralvigilante
  • Doer of the impossible.

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:25 PM

I think what has always frustrated me a bit about trigger warnings is that I never have any idea what to think when I see them on a post. They could mean anything from:

1. A member using words like "rape" instead of "hurt" or "r*pe" (totally valid, I have had times when certain words are too triggering for me to type).

2. A member being a bit blunt while ranting about lack of support in his/her day to day life without saying anything about rape or sexual assault directly.

3. A member mentioning something potentially controversial.

4. An extremely graphic description of trauma.

I find trigger warnings a bit unhelpful right now because I have no idea if they're warning me about the word "rape" (which, at this stage of my healing, I can handle) or if they are warning me about graphic descriptions of trauma. I know sometimes in my posts I do something like:

:trigger: (Self-injury)

or

:trigger: (Details of abuse)

or

:trigger: (heavy ranting and possible swearing)

just so that people can determine for themselves whether my post will trigger (since as you have all mentioned, triggers are so subjective). Just a thought.

#15 Susan

Susan

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:37 PM

Hey astralvigilante,

That's an excellent way to warn others. I agree that simply seeing a TW can have many meanings.

You could also add it to your title, like: TW for Real Words, TW for graphic details, etc.

Take care,
Susan

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.