Photo

healing quotes

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Lauren

Lauren
  • Healing Slowly

Posted 14 November 2004 - 08:12 AM

I thought it would be awesome to start a healing quotes thread. I often look up inspirational quotes and read them when I am down and in a not so good place. They give me hope to go on and remind me, that I can do this. In my dorm, as well as in my room back home, I have a quote wall, where I post the most meaningful quotes to me on index cards in order to read them each and every day. It’s something that helps me to get by and I thought I would share it with everyone here. Please add more of your own quotes, as I am sure we can all benefit from them. Here are some of my favorites. I’m sure I will add to this list later as I find more.

Hugs and Lots of Love,

Laurs

“Don’t let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of you doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use.”
-Earl Nightingale

“Courage is the power to let go of the familiar.”
-Raymond Lindquest

“Great Changes may not happen right away, but with effort even the difficult may become easy.”
-Bill Blackman

“If you always watch the demons behind you, then you will never see the angels ahead.”
-Anonymous

“Rise about the storm and you will find the sunshine.”
-Mario Ferandaz

“If we could only find the courage to leave our destiny to chance, to accept the fundamental mystery of out lives, then we might be closed to the sort of happiness that comes with innocence.”
-Luis Bunel, ‘My Last Sigh’

“It’s a brand new day. It’s a second chance. Yesterday is just a memory…”
-Rachel Proctor, ‘Me and Emily’

“Keep faith in yourself and when you feel like you are out of luck, just remember it isn’t over until you give up.”
-Anonymous

“The stars are always there, even in the day time. Some you just don’t see them.”
-Anonymous

“You gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, ‘I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes alone.’”
-Eleanor Roosevelt

“The best revenge is living well.”
-Anonymous

“All of our dreams will come true—if we only have the courage to pursue them.”
-Walt Disney

“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you’ve always imagined.”
-Henry David

“Not the power to remember, but it’s the very opposite, the power to forget, is a n necessary condition for out existence.”
-Sholem Asch

“What lies behind us and what lies before us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”
-Ralf Waldo Emerson

Edited by Laurs, 14 November 2004 - 10:25 AM.

#2 shweetness1

shweetness1
  • Hiding from all the pain. No one cares how bad I hurt!!&

Posted 14 November 2004 - 08:54 AM

"I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it"
-Jesus Christ

#3 trapped tears

trapped tears
  • I am not what happened to me

Posted 14 November 2004 - 08:58 AM

(((((((((Laurs))))))

Thanks for starting such a great thread, I love that.

I don't have any quotes at the moment but if I find something Ill be sure to return.

Thanks again and I hope uni is going well. I miss you.

Laura xxx

#4 survivor

survivor
  • Trying, as best as I know how

• Contributing Member

Posted 14 November 2004 - 10:02 AM

Laurs,

Thanks for posting those. I am going to print them out as reminders :)

survivor

#5 Rayney

Rayney

Posted 14 November 2004 - 12:41 PM

What an awesome thread!! :) I love quotes and these are just a few of my favorites for where I am right now....

Give sorrow words. The grief that does not speak Whispers the o're-fraught heart, and bids it break
{The Tragedy of Macbeth, IV, iii) Shakespeare

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear
Ambrose Redmoon

Everybody needs his memories. They keep the wolf of insignificance from the door
Saul Bellow

Healing may not be so much about getting better, as about letting go of everything that isn't you - all of the expectations, all of the beliefs - and becoming who you are
Rachel Naomi Remen

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along."
Eleanor Roosevelt

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Anais Nin

Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle. The world you desired can be won. It exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours
Ayn Rand

After awhile you learn
the subtle difference between
holding a hand and chaining a soul
and you learn that love doesn't mean possession
and company doesn't mean security.
And you begin to learn that kisses aren't contracts
and presents aren't promises and you begin to accept
your defeats with your head up and your eyes ahead
with the grace of an adult not the grief of a child.
And you learn to build your roads today
because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain for plans
and futures have ways of falling down in mid-flight.
After awhile you learn that even sunshine
burns if you get too much so you plant your
own garden and decorate your own soul
instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.
And you learn that you really can endure
that you really are strong
and you really do have worth
and you learn
and you learn...

Veronica A. Shoffstall

Rayney :)

#6 gilagrrl

gilagrrl

Posted 20 November 2004 - 01:25 AM

"I am strong and my words are true. These things did happen to me. I will not lay down and die." - a fellow online survivor

"Sistah, you are gonna hafta open up your mouth and get UGLY!" - from one of the stories in the back of The Courage to Heal

Edited by gilagrrl, 20 November 2004 - 01:25 AM.

#7 gilagrrl

gilagrrl

Posted 20 November 2004 - 01:34 AM

Ok, some of mine are cheesy, but they still make me feel better:

"Fact is there's nothing out there you can't do,
Yeah even Santa Claus believes in you" - The Muppets

Simba:"Oww. Jeez... What was that for?
Rafiki: It doesn't matter, it's in the past.
Simba: Yeah, but it still hurts.
Rafiki: Oh yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it, or learn from it." - The Lion King

#8 gilagrrl

gilagrrl

Posted 20 November 2004 - 01:39 AM

one more, then I'm going to bed, I swear:

“I did then what I knew how to do… when I knew better I did better.”
~Maya Angelou

#9 justaskcinderella

justaskcinderella
  • Loving the shoes

Posted 21 November 2004 - 08:47 PM

Hey pplz,

For years
I remained
Hidden from view
Afraid to show myself
or my true colors...
.....I begin to unfold my wings,
finding the courage
discovering my strength.

Sparkling
Radiant
I take flight.
Kirsti A.Dyer, MD, MS

Pain—has an Element of Blank—
It cannot recollect
When it began—or if there were
A time when it was not—

Emily Dickinson

"All those years you tried your best to break me,and i'm still here. I make mistakes, I screw up, but I learn.
I don't blame others for my problems. I stand on my own. And you'll see. I'm going to make something of MYSELF"
--David Pelzer~ A man named Dave

Come to the edge He said. They said: We are afraid. Come to the edge He said. They came. He pushed them, and they flew...
--Guillaume Apollinaire

"Do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the day's own trouble be sufficient for the day." Jesus Christ

The message of hope
Touching the spirit
Teaching to begin anew
Transforming the wish into hope
on the radiant wing of a butterfly.

Kirsti A.Dyer, MD, MS

- Nikki

(editted cos I forgot to sign my name) :blush:

Edited by Nikki cutie pie, 21 November 2004 - 08:48 PM.

#10 justaskcinderella

justaskcinderella
  • Loving the shoes

Posted 21 November 2004 - 08:56 PM

"The truth about childhood, as many of us have had to endure it, is inconceivable, scandalous, painful. Not uncommonly, it is monstrous. Invariably it is repressed.
To recognize and integrate something monstrous from our collective past as a society requires considerable time, just as it does on the individual level, in therapy."
-- Alice Miller, author of Breaking Down the Wall of Silence

"People who know and feel what happened to them in their childhood will never
want to harm others.
-- Alice Miller

What is asked of us? To find a voice... a voice to cry out...to make us all attend to our woundedness, our pain, our anguish, our needs... in ourselves,
our children, our men... in nature, itself... that vast woundedness which has been so ignored, so denied... to attend that woundedness, and, at last, to honour it... the woundedness of us all... in hope and faith that it may heal.
-- Judith Duerk, Author of Circle of Stones: Woman's Journey To Herself

- nikki

#11 justaskcinderella

justaskcinderella
  • Loving the shoes

Posted 27 November 2004 - 07:18 AM

Hey pplz,

A couple of the quotes I got from a self esteem workshop I'm going to

As I share who I am

I discover who I am

When I can accept who I am

and be who I am

I will be better able

to respect and love myself

to grow in self esteem

The Way you think determines the way you feel and the way you feel influences the way you act

- Nikki

#12 Lauren

Lauren
  • Healing Slowly

Posted 30 November 2004 - 07:56 AM

"Nothing is so strong as gentleness, and nothing is so gentle as true strength."
- St. Francis

"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult."
- Seneca

#13 Lauren

Lauren
  • Healing Slowly

Posted 30 November 2004 - 07:57 AM

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do--not that the nature of the thing has changed but that our power to do is increased."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#14 worldshattered

worldshattered
  • My name is Shake-Zula, the mic rulah, the old schoolah!

Posted 30 November 2004 - 09:13 AM

I love this one:

A wound is just a highway to a new and enlightened kind of confidence, basically. Damage is one of the things in emotional aesthetics that makes something great, like all the scars on a tree or a banged-up coffee cup or whatever. Everything you go through is marking your soul. –kd lang

:) Melissa :bee:

#15 Lauren

Lauren
  • Healing Slowly

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:08 AM

"To live is to suffer: to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering."
-Roberta Flack

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.