Photo

Android access - Suggestion

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OolongMom

OolongMom

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:50 PM

It would be nice if we could access a few features from smart phones (such as Android). Personal messages and maybe responses to posts.

Has anyone considered an Android app? I have a browser on my phone, but it can be slow, if I'm in certain areas. An app might be faster and neater. Sifting through everything on this browser, on my phone, could get tedious.

I would like to be able to keep in touch with friends here even when I'm not in front of a computer (which is most of the time). So this would be a very useful tool.

#2 Kate

Kate
  • Swirling round with this familiar parable...

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:47 AM

Hi OolongMom,

Thanks for your suggestion - I'll take this to the other mods! In the meantime, have you tried accessing the board using the lo-fi skin? This can be faster for loading pages when using a phone to access the board - it doesn't take as long as the usual skin does to load on my phone :)

Take care,
Kate

#3 Shannon

Shannon
  • be the hero of your story

• Administrator

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:08 AM

FYI:

A free app is something we plan to introduce. It might take a bit of time, though - so I am posting here to let you know that it's in the works but that unfortunately doesn't mean next week. Hopefully within the next month or two though.

We're going to have the iPhone app developed, which should hopefully be followed very quickly by an app for the Android market. Sorry about the iPhone favoritism - it's mostly because that is the way apps seem to be created (iPhone, then Droid) so our developer can quickly churn out the iPhone app but the Droid app is in development.

Catch is that we first need to upgrade our forum software, which is my least favorite task on the planet :)

Shannon

#4 blondie2002

blondie2002
  • I'm Awesome. Section Moderator 4mylife.

• Section Moderator

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:59 AM

:cool: What about us pandyites that don't have droids or Iphones? Can we still access Pandys on our phones if we have the internet? (Which, unfortuneatly I don't have due to my limited income and no job in sight atm :down: )

#5 Kate

Kate

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:55 PM

Hi Blondie,

That depends on the quality of the internet browswer on the mobile phone. There's no reason why it shouldn't work, but there may be some functions of the website that don't work they way they should! We have an IPB skin on the board which is very plain and can make downloading the site on mobile phones a lot faster and easier to view.

Take care,
Kate

#6 GoldLion

GoldLion
  • Prone To Habitual Relapse

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

When is this app coming out? Any way we can access chat?? iPad app for chat maybe? Something like colloquy

#7 Kate

Kate

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:21 AM

Hi Scoutt,

I'm unsure about if there is anything going on with an app, I will see if I can find out anything for you.

The issue with the chat room is that Java typically does not work or function completely on Android phones and apparently Apple has said that it is not going to provide support for Java-based applications with it's products. I could be wrong as my household is an anti-Apple one thanks to my husband ;) A google search told me that however, so take that with however many grains of salt you want :)

In terms of the type of software we use for the chat room, we require software that is compatible with our board software, so that for example, banned members or people who don't even have a Pandy's account can't enter the chat room. So any chat system we choose will need to be able to be fully integrated within the IP Board software and provide maximum ability to be customised and managed by the board moderators and chat moderators. This is why we can't just change to another type of software that may be more accessible on the smart phone platform.

I hope that is of some help. In the meantime, the message board is able to be viewed using a phone of course, and is probably much better for your sanity and your fingers in terms of typing, as the fast pace of the chat room would really put you to the test if you were able to get in with your tablet or smart phone. :)

Take care,
Kate

#8 GoldLion

GoldLion
  • Prone To Habitual Relapse

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

I totally understand this and completely support the decision, it just makes me sad! Haha I haven't been in chat in forever! I'm usually over an iPad. But I like that you all work so hard to keep us safe here.
Thanks again :thumbsup:

#9 Kate

Kate

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

It's hard when you don't have regular access to a PC or laptop. I'm glad you can get on with your iPad though :)

#10 xAmBeRx

xAmBeRx
  • AmBAMplease

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

I know you all are probably still working on it, but I was just wondering if a pandy's app could be expected in the near future?

#11 Kate

Kate

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:36 AM

Hey Amber,

We've paid for an app to be developed by the Invision company, but they've told us the development is on hold for some reason and there is no expected release date - but it will happen at some point. So unfortunately I can't tell you any more than that because we don't know either!

Until then though, the board is pretty accessible through the IP Board Mobile skin - I use it every day to do mod stuff when I'm on the bus on my way to work in the morning. Hopefully the development of the Pandy's android app will happen at some point. Since we're not developers by any stretch, we done all we can - i.e. given people our money and said "please make it!" :)

Take care,
Kate

#12 BeBold

BeBold
  • Hi.

• Contributing Member

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:19 PM

and you are correct in what you said last year. Android does NOT support Java. You can access the board on a droid but just not the chat room to re-answer blondie's question about "not smart phones."

she seemed to be referring to a browser on a "not smart phone" vs a iphone/droid app. Perhaps an description of an app for those without a smart phone would be helpful to separate the two. They may not even have seen the word app - and it would mean nothing to folks who don't use a smart phone.

can you talk about what the app will do? what it will be able to access and why it's better for users than using the browser?

just to clarify...

thanks for having this in development. another good reason why folks might want to make sure they donate to pandys. You all actually USE donations for the betterment of Pandora's Project as a whole - including Pandora's Aquarium, the online community!

be.

#13 Susan

Susan

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:24 AM

Hi be,

can you talk about what the app will do? what it will be able to access and why it's better for users than using the browser?

As Kate has said 'Since we're not developers by any stretch, we done all we can - i.e. given people our money and said "please make it!" :)', the development of the app is on hold for now. Hopefully this will happen soon then we'll be able to explain more. :)

#14 blondie2002

blondie2002
  • I'm Awesome. Section Moderator 4mylife.

• Section Moderator

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:29 PM

I'm so glad I can access it on my phone now.

#15 Kate

Kate

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:33 AM

Hey,

Yep, like Susan mentioned we really don't know much about it because it is being developed by IP Board, but from what I gather it's not really that exciting, as in "hold on your seats!" - I think it's basically just a way to access Pandy's without needing to open a browser on your phone and type in the URL. It's not going to revolutionise the way the board is accessed, for example, so for now while we are waiting using your browser like usual is no great loss.

Hopefully though it will get sorted out as soon as it can, but it's one of those things that is outside of our control. Until one of us does an IT degree or learns how to program these things. Or I con my husband into doing it for us, for free ;)

Kate

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.