Photo

How to handle trigger-containing material in personal narratives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KidFears

KidFears

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:06 PM

I have never taken part in any kind of survivor community before. The immediate problem that brought me to register here is basically that I fought some triggers and lost, and got my butt kicked, so to speak.
I believe today I'm out of crisis, I'm just hurting and recuperating and probably ready to talk. I was feeling so overwhelmed by bad stuff for some days that I hesitated to say anything at all. I started to put it in my live journal, filtered for safe friends, but then became so uncomfortable saying anything I shut up about it. Now I feel like I'm in a space where I can look back and figure out what was that all about?

So before I begin posting here, I'd like to ask for 101 on how does the community talk such things over.

OK, I guess I still have some active sore spots... probably ought to wait before saying anything?

#2 Katy

Katy
  • Life is understood backwards, but must be lived forwards.

• Contributing Member

Posted 07 November 2010 - 04:42 PM

Hi Kidfears,

Welcome to Pandys :)

You may find it helpful to spend some time looking through the different forums and to get some sort of idea about how various issues are discussed. There isn't a really right or a wrong way, because we're all individuals and we all (eventually!) work out for ourselves what works best. I think the trick is to take it slow and to go at your own pace. Don't push yourself too hard :hug:

It may also help you to have a look at some of these tutorials:
The Newbies Guide to Pandys

Getting Responses

Take care.

Katy x

#3 WishFairy

WishFairy

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:10 AM

Thanks for asking questions - I had similar questions.
The answers are very helpful as well.
Love & Light :D

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.