Photo

Wording on the home page

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MelK

MelK
  • Grrr

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:27 AM

Every time I come to pandys, I notice the wording on the Aquarium homepage, which says "If you've been a victim of any type of sexual violence, you belong here."

Does this have to say "victim"? I thought we were trying to get away from that word. Couldn't it say "If you've experienced any type of sexual violence, you belong here."?

Everything else about pandys is so great, and empowering, and supportive. Could this be changed to bring it in line?

#2 tricky45

tricky45

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:35 AM

Here here, I totally agree, especially if you look at where the origin of the word victim comes from!!! :yay: :yay: :yay:

Every time I come to pandys, I notice the wording on the Aquarium homepage, which says "If you've been a victim of any type of sexual violence, you belong here."

Does this have to say "victim"? I thought we were trying to get away from that word. Couldn't it say "If you've experienced any type of sexual violence, you belong here."?

Everything else about pandys is so great, and empowering, and supportive. Could this be changed to bring it in line?

#3 Kristy

Kristy
  • Contributing Member

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:41 PM

Hi MelK (and tricky!),

Thanks for sharing your concerns. We do understand that the word victim can seem disempowering to some and we do attempt to use the word survivor more frequently than we do victim. However, we elected to use the word victim early on to optimize our page to be located by search engines - many people who are looking for us seem to use the word victim. In addition, we don't think that the word needs to be avoided entirely. At one point, each one of us was victimized - control was taken from us and acknowledging that can be a very important part of the healing process.

Again, thank you for writing us. We hope our explanation has clarified our word choice.
Take care,
Kristy and the Moderating Team

#4 Shannon

Shannon
  • be the hero of your story

• Administrator

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:58 PM

What Kristy said is just right - a lot of people who are recovering from sexual violence search the internet using the word victim. We want those survivors to find Pandy's and by including that word, we can assure that they will get the support they need :)

Shannon

#5 MelK

MelK
  • Grrr

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:49 AM

Oh OK, the thing about the search engines makes sense and I want other people to be able to find pandys too.

Thanks for explaining.

Mel

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.