Photo

Research request

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bumblebee_hope

bumblebee_hope

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:26 PM

Hi- I've also posted this on the help desk forum as I don't know where it should go.
Hi,

I posted a while back with a research request that I was seeking permission from a moderator to post. I thought nobody had replied, but it turns out that it was just my own computer illiteracy, and that I very kind moderator had requested to view my questionnaire.

I am a student from the UK wishing to post the following questionnaire on the research, activism and speaking out forum in order to aid a sociology project able reporting rates of crimes of sexual violence. I hope the questions are phrased sensitively and without judgement. I would not use names in my report, of course. If given permission, I plan to invite readers to post questions on the forum or PM me, depending on what they feel most comfortable with.

Here are my questions:

1. It is often very difficult for victims/survivors of sexual violence to report the crime to the police or other appropriate organisations. What would you say was your main reason for not reporting your own assault?

2. Was a lack of support or understanding from family and friends a contributing factor to your decision not to report?

3. Was feeling like you would not be believed a contributing factor to your decision not to report?

4. Was feeling as though you were responsible for your own assault a contributing factor to your decision not to report?

5. Were you aware of the low conviction rape for perpetrators of sexual violence prior to your assault? Did this influence your decision not to report?

6. How accurately do you think sexual assault/abuse is presented in the media? Do you think the way in which you had seen such things presented prior to your assault was a contributing factor to your decision not to report?

7. How far would you say your own prior beliefs about sexual assault/abuse influenced your decision not to report?

8. How would you define the term “rape culture”, and do you think it influenced your decision not to report?

9. How would you define the term “grey rape”? Do you think such a thing exists?

10. Do you feel you made the right decision in terms of not reporting your assault/abuse/rape?

11. Do you ever feel as though others judge you (either positively or negatively) for not reporting?

12. If such a thing were to happen again, do you think you would report it/respond differently to it?

13. What could have been done to make it easier or more likely for you to report your assault?

14. Do you feel that enough was done for you as a victim/survivor to support you? What things have/could have helped you in your recovery?

Many thanks for taking the time to review this. If there are any changes I should make, please let me know. The last thing I want to do is to make fellow survivors feel uncomfortable.

#2 Ash

Ash
  • AshterDashter PassMeTheCakeFaster

• Contributing Member

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:17 PM

Hi bumblebee,

We got your help desk request. We're discussing it and we'll get back to you soon :)

Ash

#3 bumblebee_hope

bumblebee_hope

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:07 AM

Ok, thanks a lot for taking the time to consider.

Sorry for the cross-posting- I'll get the hang of this computer thing some day!

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.