Photo

Day 91: Force Fed and New Bout of Pain

Posted by intrepidshe , in Healing Work 11 March 2014 · 382 views

Mar. 11, 2014 (20 Days Into Becoming):

I think I have transitioned from the plateau of respite back to the path of healing work. It was a wonderful break and I feel really good that it happened.

I have three topics to write about today: (1) new bout of pain; (2) being force fed as a child; and, (3) shared ObGyn medical appointments.

(1) New Bout of Pain

Starting about mid morning today I began to have that familiar abdominal pain. As the day progressed, the rib muscle cramps joined in, and now I have a migraine as well. As I was leaving work I felt intense anxiety. When I was pulling out of the parking lot I realized my end-of-the-day errand might be instigating the symptoms. First thing this morning I called my ObGyn's office to let them know I received the coverage letter from my insurance. They asked me to drop the letter off with them. I decided I would also drop off my letter to the doctor I wrote after the gynecologic appointment.

I hadn't dropped off the letter yet, or been willing to mail it since the day of the appointment. I have felt hesitant because it exposes more issues than I revealed during or before the appointment (namely the worry I had about experiencing arousal). I don't have any idea how she might interpret that information, what judgments she might form. It was so scary and difficult to establish with her, I don't want to do anything to mess it up.

So, I believe the symptoms might be a consequence of the anxiety I am feeling around her reaction to the letter. Funny enough, I'm worried I won't hear anything from her and I will be left to wonder what the letter meant to her. I can't stand the idea of just hanging until I see her next, which will probably be a couple months.

(2) being force fed as a child

This is the topic I had intended to write about today. I felt so well the last few days I figured I could dig into another unpleasant memory. I don't know if this is a good idea in light of how I'm feeling right now, but I'm going to write about it anyway because it's on my mind.

My parents were of the mind that you eat the food you're given. You don't waste food or show a lack of appreciation for the meal someone has prepared for you. These values aren't unusual. But, they took them to an extreme. I have written about this topic before. I was forced to eat things I am allergic to until I was 16 years old. But, it occurred to me in the last few days that their method of enforcement (physical violence) means what I experienced was force feeding. Sure, it wasn't a tube down my throat, but it was a fist around my throat. Eat this or you won't be able to breathe.

I get extremely upset with my husband when he tries to force our children to eat something they don't want. I understand a little better right now why my feelings around this issue are so intense. I can't quite feel the emotions tied to these memories from my childhood. This issue goes all the way back to when I was 4 months old and my mom insisted on feeding me foods that made me throw up, declaring my vomiting to be an act of defiance. Posted Image

I'm thinking about starting a list of issues that seem to be tied to bottled up emotions. I'm not sure how such a list might be useful, but somehow my instinct says to create the list anyway. Posted Image  I know I have a pattern of naming problems, holding them up for a moment, and then stuffing them back deep inside, beneath the armor.

(3) shared ObGyn medical appointments

My final topic is an idea that will not stop bouncing around in my head. I have been involved in a project for the last six months or so related to using shared medical appointments to help patients with weight loss and to prevent them from developing diabetes. A few weeks ago a colleague asked to add to the program the use of shared medical appointments for ObGyn care (particularly for Ob care). The idea is to prevent pregnancy complications through these group appointments. Shared medical appointments improve patient education and compliance. So, it makes sense.

When this conversation was happening this week I felt my anxiety start to ramp up through the ceiling. I literally had to hold tightly onto my chair in order to stay seated and not leave the room. I had thoughts of how I would deal with being in clinic for these sessions, considering my still-not-quite-resolved fear of gynecologists, and I had thoughts of how this approach might be highly beneficial for SA survivors, if done correctly.

My brain seems to be somewhat transfixed on the idea that shared appointments in collaboration between a therapist and an ObGyn could provide survivors with a venue like we have here in Pandy's, a group of other survivors to lean into, to share ideas with, to draw courage from.

But, the rebellious part of my brain reminds me that I don't want to go after some cause just because I have this history. I have no desire to save the world. Besides, I don't need another thing on my plate. And, I don't know if I could handle all of the ways this would trigger me.

But . . . then again . . . for that reason . . .

OK, I'm not going to continue thinking about this right now. <harrumph>

Photo
yarnfoolishness
Mar 12 2014 11:16 AM

I'm so sorry about the pain.  It's awful.  I find myself in a lot of pain due to my history also.  I just wanted you to know you're not alone, and I understand.  Sending compassion.  :blanket:

I found it hard to read about being force fed.  My parents did something similar.  I was forced to stay at the table for hours until I ate whatever it was.  There are some things I cannot eat to this day without gagging.  I'm so very sorry this was your experience.

I was thinking about what you said regarding the shared ob/gyn appointments.  Would you feel OK about allowing yourself to be on the fence with this one?  My thought was that if you allowed yourself to sit on the fence (i.e. -make a decision to stay on the fence) that time would most likely allow you to discern if you really wanted to 'go after' it as a 'cause'.  I think it's good that you know yourself well enough to know that it would be a 'cause' for you.  I also think it's good that you know yourself well enough to question if you really want to take it up as a 'cause'.

Sending good thoughts.  I think you're amazing.

Photo
intrepidshe
Mar 12 2014 12:28 PM

I'm so sorry about the pain.  It's awful.  I find myself in a lot of pain due to my history also.  I just wanted you to know you're not alone, and I understand.  Sending compassion.  blanket.gif

I found it hard to read about being force fed.  My parents did something similar.  I was forced to stay at the table for hours until I ate whatever it was.  There are some things I cannot eat to this day without gagging.  I'm so very sorry this was your experience.

I was thinking about what you said regarding the shared ob/gyn appointments.  Would you feel OK about allowing yourself to be on the fence with this one?  My thought was that if you allowed yourself to sit on the fence (i.e. -make a decision to stay on the fence) that time would most likely allow you to discern if you really wanted to 'go after' it as a 'cause'.  I think it's good that you know yourself well enough to know that it would be a 'cause' for you.  I also think it's good that you know yourself well enough to question if you really want to take it up as a 'cause'.

Sending good thoughts.  I think you're amazing.

Yarn, what wonderful insight you have. And, incredible generosity.

First, I want to tell you I feel angry and sad imagining little Yarn or young Yarn sitting for hours like that. It is horrible for food to become a source of abuse. I'm sorry that happened to you! I am imagining us sitting over a cup of tea and having a quiet moment over this.

I am going to take your advice about the fence. I really don't need to decide anything or make any commitments. That was a very helpful suggestion.

Intrepid (and Yarn) It's so incredibly wrong that these things were done to you. The idea of food being used this way makes me so, so angry. I agree to give yourself time to consider how you really feel regarding the shared appts. Don't do it unless it would be a good thing for you as well.
Photo
intrepidshe
Mar 12 2014 08:10 PM

Intrepid (and Yarn) It's so incredibly wrong that these things were done to you. The idea of food being used this way makes me so, so angry. I agree to give yourself time to consider how you really feel regarding the shared appts. Don't do it unless it would be a good thing for you as well.

Lua, I am so glad you said "don't do it unless it would be a good thing for you as well." I forget to think about what I need. Thank you!

About Intrepid She

This is a moderated PUBLIC blog. This blog is a therapeutic tool I am using to help me get over my fear of doctors (which is made difficult by a history of abuse by them) to learn to grieve, and ultimately to integrate my dis-integrated heart.

View postings specific to health care.

View postings specific to touch.

View postings specific to crying.

The content of this blog is not appropriate for children or for anyone who might be triggered by reading about sexual abuse.

To the many others walking your own version of this path, I wish you well on your journey. -Intrepid

More Healing:

- Framed and Unashamed

- Yarnfoolishness' Journal

- Susanna's Blog

- What's Inside my Head?

- Healing Resources

Search My Blog

Contact Me Outside Pandys

I can be reached by email at a Gmail account based on my userid here in Pandys. I'm sure you can piece it together. I won't enter the address here because of bots that read email addresses from screens. I really don't want spam. But I wanted people outside of Pandys to be able to reach me.

July 2015

S M T W T F S
   1 2 34

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.