Photo

Indian Food? Really?

Posted by Jes , 15 February 2008 · 25 views

HM has recently become a particular eater. Before you say that parents create choosy eaters by indulging them, I want you to know that I beg to differ. HM used to eat anything and come back for seconds but the change happened in one day. She now reacts to a previously enjoyed food as if if she ate it, she would IMMEDIATELY DIE an excruciating death because Mama surely put rat poisoning in there and possibly a ground up poisoned rat. You think I exaggerate, but you should see the child shudder and gag like she's just thrown up in her mouth, shut her mouth tight and shake her head "No, no, no, no, no," when she is offered a bit of food. And this is over French toast.

I think it is a control thing, but that's fine with me. If she wants to control her life by turning up her nose up over the deliciousness that is cut up apples or pesto covered ravioli so that she can eat her eleventieth serving of macaroni and cheese with broccoli and peas (I rhyme) there's just more for me. She gets her nutrients. She'll figure out that she's cutting off her nose to spite her face sooner or later and until then, S. and I will eat her leftovers happily.

Today, though, we sat down to play while I was eating my lunch, delicious chole punjabi (an Indian dish of chickpeas in a spicy and rich tomato sauce) leftovers. HM look interested, so I offered her a few grains of rice on my fork thinking that it would serve her right to want my spicy food. Internet, I was wrong to do that. She ate it and wanted MORE. She chowed down on my leftovers, even eating bits of rice off the floor. I was still hungry when she was done with my lunch.

Indian food? Seriously??

I'm so tempted to make it again, just for her, but I think that if I do, she'll turn up her nose, gag a little bit, and shake her head "No, no, no, no.."

If you want the recipe, it is right here, courtesy of Shannon:

1 large onion (any color - I usually use red)
3-4 roma tomatoes

Put them into a food processor and process away to make a sauce.

Note: I used a can of diced tomatoes because the grocery store tomatoes were pretty sketchy.

In a saucepan, heat a couple teaspoons of oil and then add about 1 T whole cumin. Let it simmer for a minute or so until fragrant. Now, add the sauce you made. Let it simmer until it is a thick paste.

Add one can of drained garbanzo beans then add about a half can of water - it will depend on how thick you want it.

Then you add a tablespoon or so of chana masala spice mix, a dream come true.

Note: I used Garam Masala because I couldn't find chana masala.

I also add a teaspoon of red chili powder (cayenne) and salt. This is to taste - you might want less cayenne! Start with a little and add more.

Note: A tsp of cayenne is a LOT. start with less!!

If you think it needs something more, but you have enough heat, it probably needs salt.

Garnish with chopped cilantro and eat over rice. Easy!

hey there!
Thanks so much for the recipe! I enjoy trying to attempt new dishes (key word attempt) lol. Hope you are having a great day.
Beenie
ha! i learned that lesson with my nephew and tomato basil soup. he was about HM's age and we were at la madeline. he had hit the picky eater phase (there is a button somewhere, it is a control thing) and he started begging for the soup so i offered him some. b/c of space issues in the resturant, he was sitting on my lap, and i'm like sure, tomato and basil soup? that will work...one bowl later, i'm hungry and he is full. next day, his twin sister conned me out of a kiwi.

indian food .... now that is good. you can send some pesto this way!
It was seriously still good with garam masala??
This made me NEED chana masala all day. Need.

So I got Indian take out! I also picked up some chana masala packs at the international store! Yay!

It was seriously still good with garam masala??

It was really good! Maybe I'll make my own chana masala for the next time.
This sounds like a recipe we could try. It is really sad that we don't know how to cook Indian food because 1) we enjoy eating it at restaurants and 2) there are 2 Indian grocery stores in addition to a gigantic Asian Market within a two mile radius. Even the regular grocery store has an extensive Indian food section. We discuss this fact often. I see chana masala in my future. (Though I will go easy on the cayenne pepper!)

This sounds like a recipe we could try. It is really sad that we don't know how to cook Indian food because 1) we enjoy eating it at restaurants and 2) there are 2 Indian grocery stores in addition to a gigantic Asian Market within a two mile radius. Even the regular grocery store has an extensive Indian food section. We discuss this fact often. I see chana masala in my future. (Though I will go easy on the cayenne pepper!)

cookbooks! :D

July 2014

S M T W T F S
20212223 24 2526

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.