Healing Books

I got a lovely book at the used bookstore a couple weeks ago, it's called Sexual Assault: Will I ever feel okay again? and it's by Kay Scott. I would definitely recommend it!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kiwi

• Jes

• Lis

• tini

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a book or some sort of essay or anything I could get for my husband that could help me to explain to him what i am feeling about my ex partner's abuse and verbal, physical and sexual?

Is there a book or some sort of essay or anything I could get for my husband that could help me to explain to him what i am feeling about my ex partner's abuse and verbal, physical and sexual?

I'd recommend Real rape real pain by our very own Louise. It's the only book I've found that focuses on the sexual abuse in relationships as well as addressing the psychological and physical abuse. It's really well written and explains things in every day language using bits from real survivors stories to illustrate things. I've been with my partner for three and a half years so obviously we've talked about my ex a lot but reading bits from this book has really helped him understand how I feel. I also found it incredibly useful, especially the way the psychology is explained and the real stories because I could identify so much with them. It's very easy to dip into so you or your hubby can just flick through and read bits if you're not up to reading the whole thing.

Thanks Caitlin. I appreciate it.

You're most welcome :)

• 2 months later...

Ok, I didn't go through all the responses on here but, here's what I got...

"Lucky"-Alice Sebold

"The Lovely Bones"-Alice Sebold

"After Silence"-Nancy Venable Raine

"Telling"-Patricia Weaver Francisco

"Recovering from Rape"-Linda E. Ledray

"The Secret Life of Bees"-Sue Monk Kidd (just an amazing book, not about rape, but healing for me anyway)

I found all of these books to be inspiring. Every time I read one, I just feel so empowered. I think I'll start writing my own book! I just finished "Telling" (in 3 days) and Patricia Francisco is such an amazing woman. As well as Alice Sebold and Nancy Raine! These women are so strong and I hope to be just like them some day.

Good luck everyone!

Axtress

Guest lrc7535

The Hero Within: Six Archetypes We Live By, by Carol S. Pearson

The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius

Dream Work by Mary Oliver

The Dream of a Common Language by Adrienne Rich

and, of course,

I Can't Get over It: A Handbook for Trauma Survivors by Aphrodite Matsakis

• 4 weeks later...

"Agua Fresca en los Espejos" (Fresh Water on the Mirrors)

by Vinka Jackson

True life story of her childhood incest by her father.

Se writes the story 30 years later, as a psychologist, finishing her years of therapy.

Even though it's in Spanish, I think a few of you Spanish speakers could benefit from it.

But watch out, some parts might be triggering.

ISBN: 1238501

Editorial Aguilar

1238501.jpg

• 3 months later...

I haven't finished it yet, but "Beauty for Ashes" by Joyce Meyer is an INCREDIBLE book. Anytime I got the feeling to read it, I'd open up to a random chapter and was AMAZED by how un-crazy it made me feel. I never realized some things were normal until I read it and it's been I think one of the biggest parts of my healing process.

Also the book "Boundaries" by Cloud & Townsend... it's not mainly on the subject of abuse, but there are certain chapters and sections that really touched a place in me that needed healing... mainly my ability to say NO to the bad and yes to the good, I had such screwed up boundaries and now they are definitely on their way to becoming normal once again! :)

The four Agreements: is a good book to help you feel like you are in control over your life. It will give you ways to be yourself and not how others want you to be. A since of personal freedom.

I have written a book, Blind Faith, a novel about the Roman Catholic clergy sexual abuse crisis as seen through the eyes of a young boy and his family. It's a "Recommended Read" of the Online Review of Books and Current Affairs, and "Highly Recommended" by Midwest Book Review. You can check it out on my website, http://www.janeteclark.com

Also, I like Secret Survivors by E. Sue Blume, Courage to Heal- kind of the survivors' Bible- and many of the books others have mentioned: Beauty for Ashes, Lucky, Secret Life of Bees.

Janet

A close friend of mine who was sexually abused as a child read this book and thought it was really wonderful. I actually watched a little 10 minute blurb about it on TV. The author was explaining the book, and touching upon a few portions of it. It seems very well written and details many personal experiences. It discusses 'placing the blame where it belongs' 'common feelings' and so forth. I haven't read it myself, but it seems like a really wonderful book.

The Survivor's Guide to Sex: How to Have an Empowered Sex Life After Child Sexual Abuse

Here's an amazon url The Survivor's Guide to Sex

Can anyone recommend a healing book dealing with sex work particularly prostitution?

• 2 weeks later...

Im reading

Healing the shame that binds you. by john bradshaw

I'll tell you how I feel about it later right now it's pretty strait forward and hitting close to home, stirring up emotions I don't know how to deal with but I haven't got to the chapters that help deal with them.

I don't like the title but he explains it and it makes since

Good morning, all!

You're all so much stronger than I've been; reading about other accounts still triggers me.

So the books that I've found most helpful deal with healing and forgiveness, rather than rape and sexual abuse per se...

Thich Nhat Hanh's _The Heart of Understanding_ and _Peace is Every Step_ are real treasures in my library.

Stephen Mitchell's _The Gospel According to Jesus_ transformed my understanding of healing and liberation, epecially his introduction.

Julia Cameron's _The Artist's Way_ has given me so much: a daily journaling practice, a deep understanding of the power of positive affirmations, and the strength and courage to identify as an artist.

Sharon Olds is one of my favorite poets. She has survived so much, and reading her books, I feel I am walking beside her on her journey from childhood abuse to a life transformed by love and acceptance. Powerful medicine, though. I can only read her in bits and pieces.

A good friend continues to give me books on healing, but I still cry whenever I look at their titles.

I think one of them, _Waking the Tiger_ was listed here. Another title is _There is nothing wrong with you!_ Haven't read them, but I trust my friend's advice.

_The Highly Sensitive Person_ helps me to say "no" to things I don't want to do, to conversations I don't want to have...

Right now I am finishing up Ghost Girl by Torey Haden and i'm about to start Twilight Children also by Torey Haden. They are very healing but can be a trigger.

supervivre -

I love Sharon Olds too (my favorite to smile by - "The Pope's P***")

she is intense for those of us here

but soooo eloquent

-valdez

Edited by valdez