Photo

Why did I fail? (tw su/si)

Posted by r_tyler , in Therapy 16 September 2013 · 70 views

I've been searching Pandy's and the Internet at large for clues, maybe even commiseration over why I hate therapy so much. There's not nothing... but I don't understand how so many people seem to be able to talk to a complete stranger about their life.
I didn't just hate therapy. Thinking about going, being there and thinking about having been made me want to kill or at least mutilate myself. There are people here who talk about therapy being hard, and about not being able to say much, but they keep going anyway.
I couldn't stand going back after five sessions. I couldn't do it. Thinking about it, fearing it, consumed the first half of my week and hating myself for everything I said, almost all of which was innocuous, consumed the second half of my week. I lived in active terror and self-loathing for nine weeks. We had five sessions, she took a week of vacation in the middle, I took a week at the end, and then I skipped a week I returned out of fear before officially calling it over the week after that. I tried. I really really tried. I kept going back even though I wanted to die. I made my feet move into her office even though I would rather have torn my skin off my face. Maybe scratch 'rather', I wanted to do it in conjunction. I compelled myself to vomit out words of some kind because I didn't want to waste her time. I just don't understand why I can't find much of a trace of other people hating therapy this much elsewhere. I don't mean people talking about therapy being hard or scary or whatever, I mean hate, as in, there are few things worse on this planet that I can think of.

Now I have a block against trying again. I'd be wasting any therapist's time. I thought about cancelling every time because I was sure that I wouldn't be able to make words come out. And a lot of times I couldn't. I cancelled my session right after I got back from vacation because I knew that I would just sit there and waste her time. Why would I find another therapist? How stupid would that be? So I can go sit on an expensive couch and waste someone's time for an hour? The inevitable question of "why are you here if you don't want to talk?" can only be answered with "well, I guess I shouldn't be." And I can answer that question more effectively by just not going.

Photo
dragonfly218
Sep 16 2013 01:37 PM
When I first started therapy, I didn't like it. It takes a while to trust someone, but it gets better. I had thoughts like you, what's the point, I'm wasting her time...but they don't expect you to just dump everything that you feel/everything that's ever happened to you in the beginning. It's all at your pace. When I first started, I would just talk about how my week was, share a funny story, or ask these types of questions. That's what they're here for. Maybe if you go back, you can bring up these thoughts. I have with my therapist and she said a lot of people worry about it. I love going now. It does get better. I hope this helped a bit.
I didn't like therapy at first either. The first few sessions, I couldn't talk about what was really bothering me; it was too hard. I'd talk about how my day went or school, but never deep stuff. Eventually I got so frustrated I stopped going. But now, I'm starting with a new T and more open to talking this time.

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Categories

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.