Photo

Day 92: A Letter to My Pandy's Community

Posted by intrepidshe , in Healing Work, Happy Things 12 March 2014 · 171 views

Mar. 12, 2014 (21 Days Into Becoming):

A conversation today gave me the idea for this entry - - - what it means to be intrepid.

Beautifulblogger provided the idea for this topic. Thank you!!

There is a second Pandy's friend who helped inspire this posting: someone else whose permission I need before revealing them. This person made a statement I found inspiring, comforting, and encouraging. More than anything it gives me hope:

"Maybe we face terrible truths by finding the people out in the world, one by one, who can face them with us." - a fellow intrepid traveler

This statement was so powerful to me I adopted it as a tag line for all of my forum posts. I refer to the author of the quote as a "fellow intrepid traveler" because of the nature of this person's postings and the fact that I aspire to be like them. 

I believe there are many intrepid travelers here.

The healing process is experienced by many survivors as a journey. I certainly experience it this way. When I was considering the idea of joining Pandy's I thought a long time about a handle that would describe my purpose. I realized that purpose was not simply about the fact that I am on a journey, but it was about the quality of the journey. I spent a few days on the public site as I was pondering and trying to imagine myself in this world. I had a number of preconceived, irrational (and unfair) notions about having online "friends." I couldn't imagine people being real, being genuine, being whole through this medium. I was concerned the communications would have a flavor of helplessness. I couldn't envision how such an environment could be healing. However, after twenty years of not experiencing much healing . . . just getting along a little less successfully every day . . . I realized I had no idea what a healing space might look like. I was rejecting people before I even met them! (Please forgive me for that.) Posted Image

As I read the public blogs and postings I came to form an image of a community similar to communities in which I have participated, such as a class of students going through an outdoor adventure program together, a team of health professionals running a mobile medical clinic in a remote area of the world, or a group of friends on a hiking trip. What I saw was a community of fellow explorers, seeking the path to becoming (whatever "becoming" means to each individual). The members of the group walk along side one another. They encourage each other to carry on when they can, to rest when they need, to laugh and to cry, to write and create, to sift and sort until truth is all that remains. I saw a community to which I pined to belong, and I didn't even know it. I found my people.

When I realized I wanted to become part of this community, to earn my place in it, I also began to understand the healing journeys undertaken here have a number of qualities that drew me. The people here were:
  • resolute,
  • courageous,
  • dauntless,
  • persistent,
  • curious.
I'm sure I could keep writing a list of adjectives for days. But, the point was, I understood that the expedition undertaken here is resolute, courageous, dauntless, persistent, and curious. It is a journey people here do not undertake alone. And, even though no one else can walk our journeys for us, there are others who will walk with us and rest with us when we need. This journey is individual, to be taken at our own pace. We owe nothing to anyone else. We need healing, which means we each need whatever else is required for that healing. There is no pace. There is no standard. What works for each of us is what we need.

To undertake this healing journey is to be intrepid. Thus, I adopted the handle IntrepidShe to encompass my hopes and to set a guide post toward the one I wish to become.

To my wonderful friends here at Pandy's, thank you for walking with me, for sitting with me, for hearing me, for sharing your hearts and your stories. I will find that IntrepidShe because I have you along side me.

Always, my friends, please, take gentle care.

I found my people too.

The members of the group walk along side one another. They encourage each other to carry on when they can, to rest when they need, to laugh and to cry, to write and create, to sift and sort until truth is all that remains.

This is so beautifully put and, for me, emphasises the fact that, while we all write and read some heartbreaking things here, belonging to this community is a heartwarming and positive experience.  Thank you Intrepidshe and thank you Pandy's comrades.

What a very eloquent piece of writing. Hits the nail on the head! Thank you for your insight and sharing if it.
Love this. It is so true :)
Photo
beautifulblogger
Mar 13 2014 04:53 AM
Very inspiring :)
Suspect I'll be re-reading this whenever the journey gets hard. Thanks. :-)
Photo
yarnfoolishness
Mar 13 2014 11:45 AM

Thank you for this.  :metoyou:

Photo
intrepidshe
Mar 13 2014 12:12 PM

The members of the group walk along side one another. They encourage each other to carry on when they can, to rest when they need, to laugh and to cry, to write and create, to sift and sort until truth is all that remains.

This is so beautifully put and, for me, emphasises the fact that, while we all write and read some heartbreaking things here, belonging to this community is a heartwarming and positive experience.  Thank you Intrepidshe and thank you Pandy's comrades.

Allegro, so beautifully said: "we all write and read some heartbreaking things here, belonging to this community is a heartwarming and positive experience." I would also like to adopt that phrase and quote you, if OK.

About Intrepid She

This is a moderated PUBLIC blog. This blog is a therapeutic tool I am using to help me get over my fear of doctors, which is made difficult by a history of abuse by them, to learn to grieve, and ultimately to integrate my dis-integrated heart.

View postings specific to health care.

View postings specific to touch.

View postings specific to crying.

The content of this blog is not appropriate for children or for anyone who might be triggered by reading about sexual abuse.

To the many others walking your own version of this path, I wish you well on your journey. -Intrepid

More Healing:

- Framed and Unashamed

- Yarnfoolishness' Journal

- Susanna's Blog

- What's Inside my Head?

- Healing Resources

Search My Blog

November 2014

S M T W T F S
232425262728 29

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.