healing quotes

Lauren

I thought it would be awesome to start a healing quotes thread. I often look up inspirational quotes and read them when I am down and in a not so good place. They give me hope to go on and remind me, that I can do this. In my dorm, as well as in my room back home, I have a quote wall, where I post the most meaningful quotes to me on index cards in order to read them each and every day. It’s something that helps me to get by and I thought I would share it with everyone here. Please add more of your own quotes, as I am sure we can all benefit from them. Here are some of my favorites. I’m sure I will add to this list later as I find more.

Hugs and Lots of Love,

Laurs

“Don’t let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of you doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use.”

-Earl Nightingale

“Courage is the power to let go of the familiar.”

-Raymond Lindquest

“Great Changes may not happen right away, but with effort even the difficult may become easy.”

-Bill Blackman

“If you always watch the demons behind you, then you will never see the angels ahead.”

-Anonymous

“Rise about the storm and you will find the sunshine.”

-Mario Ferandaz

“If we could only find the courage to leave our destiny to chance, to accept the fundamental mystery of out lives, then we might be closed to the sort of happiness that comes with innocence.”

-Luis Bunel, ‘My Last Sigh’

“It’s a brand new day. It’s a second chance. Yesterday is just a memory…”

-Rachel Proctor, ‘Me and Emily’

“Keep faith in yourself and when you feel like you are out of luck, just remember it isn’t over until you give up.”

-Anonymous

“The stars are always there, even in the day time. Some you just don’t see them.”

-Anonymous

“You gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, ‘I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes alone.’”

-Eleanor Roosevelt

“The best revenge is living well.”

-Anonymous

“All of our dreams will come true—if we only have the courage to pursue them.”

-Walt Disney

“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you’ve always imagined.”

-Henry David

“Not the power to remember, but it’s the very opposite, the power to forget, is a n necessary condition for out existence.”

-Sholem Asch

“What lies behind us and what lies before us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

-Ralf Waldo Emerson

Edited by Laurs

"I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it"

-Jesus Christ

trapped tears

(((((((((Laurs))))))

Thanks for starting such a great thread, I love that.

I don't have any quotes at the moment but if I find something Ill be sure to return.

Thanks again and I hope uni is going well. I miss you.

Laura xxx

What an awesome thread!! :) I love quotes and these are just a few of my favorites for where I am right now....

Give sorrow words. The grief that does not speak Whispers the o're-fraught heart, and bids it break

{The Tragedy of Macbeth, IV, iii) Shakespeare

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear

Ambrose Redmoon

Everybody needs his memories. They keep the wolf of insignificance from the door

Saul Bellow

Healing may not be so much about getting better, as about letting go of everything that isn't you - all of the expectations, all of the beliefs - and becoming who you are

Rachel Naomi Remen

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along."

Eleanor Roosevelt

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Anais Nin

Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle. The world you desired can be won. It exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours

Ayn Rand

After awhile you learn

the subtle difference between

holding a hand and chaining a soul

and you learn that love doesn't mean possession

and company doesn't mean security.

And you begin to learn that kisses aren't contracts

and presents aren't promises and you begin to accept

your defeats with your head up and your eyes ahead

with the grace of an adult not the grief of a child.

And you learn to build your roads today

because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain for plans

and futures have ways of falling down in mid-flight.

After awhile you learn that even sunshine

burns if you get too much so you plant your

own garden and decorate your own soul

instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.

And you learn that you really can endure

that you really are strong

and you really do have worth

and you learn

and you learn...

Veronica A. Shoffstall

Rayney :)

"I am strong and my words are true. These things did happen to me. I will not lay down and die." - a fellow online survivor

"Sistah, you are gonna hafta open up your mouth and get UGLY!" - from one of the stories in the back of The Courage to Heal

Edited by gilagrrl

Ok, some of mine are cheesy, but they still make me feel better:

"Fact is there's nothing out there you can't do,

Yeah even Santa Claus believes in you" - The Muppets

Simba:"Oww. Jeez... What was that for?

Rafiki: It doesn't matter, it's in the past.

Simba: Yeah, but it still hurts.

Rafiki: Oh yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it, or learn from it." - The Lion King

justaskcinderella

Hey pplz,

For years

I remained

Hidden from view

Afraid to show myself

or my true colors...

.....I begin to unfold my wings,

finding the courage

discovering my strength.

Sparkling

Radiant

I take flight.

Kirsti A.Dyer, MD, MS

Pain—has an Element of Blank—

It cannot recollect

When it began—or if there were

A time when it was not—

Emily Dickinson

"All those years you tried your best to break me,and i'm still here. I make mistakes, I screw up, but I learn.

I don't blame others for my problems. I stand on my own. And you'll see. I'm going to make something of MYSELF"

--David Pelzer~ A man named Dave

Come to the edge He said. They said: We are afraid. Come to the edge He said. They came. He pushed them, and they flew...

--Guillaume Apollinaire

"Do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the day's own trouble be sufficient for the day." Jesus Christ

The message of hope

Touching the spirit

Teaching to begin anew

Transforming the wish into hope

on the radiant wing of a butterfly.

Kirsti A.Dyer, MD, MS

- Nikki

(editted cos I forgot to sign my name) :blush:

Edited by Nikki cutie pie

justaskcinderella

"The truth about childhood, as many of us have had to endure it, is inconceivable, scandalous, painful. Not uncommonly, it is monstrous. Invariably it is repressed.

To recognize and integrate something monstrous from our collective past as a society requires considerable time, just as it does on the individual level, in therapy."

-- Alice Miller, author of Breaking Down the Wall of Silence

"People who know and feel what happened to them in their childhood will never

want to harm others.

-- Alice Miller

What is asked of us? To find a voice... a voice to cry out...to make us all attend to our woundedness, our pain, our anguish, our needs... in ourselves,

our children, our men... in nature, itself... that vast woundedness which has been so ignored, so denied... to attend that woundedness, and, at last, to honour it... the woundedness of us all... in hope and faith that it may heal.

-- Judith Duerk, Author of Circle of Stones: Woman's Journey To Herself

- nikki

justaskcinderella

Hey pplz,

A couple of the quotes I got from a self esteem workshop I'm going to

As I share who I am

I discover who I am

When I can accept who I am

and be who I am

I will be better able

to respect and love myself

to grow in self esteem

The Way you think determines the way you feel and the way you feel influences the way you act

- Nikki

"Nothing is so strong as gentleness, and nothing is so gentle as true strength."

- St. Francis

"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult."

- Seneca

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do--not that the nature of the thing has changed but that our power to do is increased."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

worldshattered

I love this one:

A wound is just a highway to a new and enlightened kind of confidence, basically. Damage is one of the things in emotional aesthetics that makes something great, like all the scars on a tree or a banged-up coffee cup or whatever. Everything you go through is marking your soul. –kd lang

:) Melissa :bee:

"To live is to suffer: to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering."

-Roberta Flack

"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible,

then they seem improbable,

and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable."

- Christopher Reeve, August 1996

• 2 weeks later...

I love quotes. :)

Heres a few:

"Someone was hurt before you.....beaten before you; humiliated before you; raped before you; yet someone survived."

~Maya Angelou

"You may write me down in history

With your bitter, twisted lies,

You may trod me in the very dirt

But still, like dust, I'll rise."

~"Still I Rise" Maya Angelou

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe."~Anatole France

"The willow knows what the storm does not: that the power to endure harm outlives the power to inflict it."~Blood of the Martyr

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."~Franklin D. Roosevelt

"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who dont do anything about it."~Albert Einstein

"“Come to the edge.”

“We can't. We're afraid.”

“Come to the edge.”

“We can't. We will fall!”

“Come to the edge.”

And they came.

And he pushed them.

And they flew."

~Guillaume Apollinaire

" "At fifteen life had taught me undeniably that surrender, in its place, was as honorable as resistance, especially if one had no choice." ~Maya Angelou

"Keep a grateful journal. Every night, list five things that happened this day that you are grateful for. What it will begin to do is change your perspective of your day and your life. If you can learn to focus on what you have, you will always see that the universe is abundant; you will have more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never have enough."~Oprah Winfrey

:)

Donna =)

Guest katehealer

"In a time lacking in truth and certainty and filled with anguish and

despair, no woman should be shamefilled in attempting to give back to the

world, through her work, a portion of its lost heart."

Louise Bogan

"The most healing instrument of all is your own voice." C. W. Child

"We have made a space to house our spirit, to give form to our dreams..."

Judy Chicago

"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until

they arrive and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."

Anais Nin

"Each one of us was sent here for a special destiny."

John O'Donohue

"It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, but it is not possible to

find it elsewhere." Repplier Quote

"A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when memory

fails."

Donna Roberts

"I came to explore the wreck. The words are purposes. The words are

maps. I came to see the damage that was done and the treasures that

prevail." Adrienne Rich

"Every moment is made glorious by the light of love."

Rumi

"The soul is here for its own joy."

Rumi

"Let the beauty you love be what you do." Rumi

"Each one of us was sent here for a special destiny."

John O'Donohue

"For all these years you've protected the seed.

It's time to become the flower."

Stephen C. Paul

"We are each of us angels with only one wing. And we can only fly by

embracing one another." Luciano De Crescenzo

Hey guys I can't remember the exact wording nor the author, if i get a chance I will come back and edit it

"It doesn't matter how many times you fall, what matters is how many times you rise again"

• 5 weeks later...

"Turn your wounds into wisdom."

-Oprah Winfrey

"Courage is the most important of all the virtues, because without courage, you can't practice any other virtue consistently. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage."

-Maya Angelou

"I believe that everything happens for a reason, but I think it's important to seek out that reason - that's how we learn."

-Drew Barrymore

"We can do anything we want as long as we stick to it long enough."

-Helen Keller

Here are a few more. Sorry if I accidentaly repeated any.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you're going through hell, keep going.

~Sir Winston Churchill

Always do right - this will gratify some and astonish others.

~Mark Twain

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

~Mahatma Gandhi

What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog.

~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Kites rise highest against the wind -- not with it.

~Sir Winston Churchill

(The last one is my favourite.)

-Alex

"For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD, "PLans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Edited by chy2400

• 1 month later...

"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever."

-Lance Armstrong