Photo

Talked about self-injury in school assembly

Posted by Tillit , 04 May 2014 · 101 views

So my school has a daily morning assembly where where someone presents something for the school every morning. It can be a poem, a song, a funny story, a dance routine, a talk about something they care about, anything you want. So after thinking for a long time, and after having thrown away the idea of having a talk about SA, I decided to have a presentation about self-injury. It was a simple deal, no PowerPoint or fancy video clips, just me standing there reading from handwritten notes in a notebook. First I mentioned that I had been really depressed and struggled with SI myself, and then I went on to talk about statistics, different reasons people have for hurting themselves, how to support someone who struggles with SI, etc.

It was a pretty powerful experience, not just the feeling of standing there talking about something that serious, but the way the pupils reacted. People were actually wiping tears from their eyes throughout the whole presentation, and I could tell afterwards too that it had affected many of them pretty heavily emotionally. Not everyone at the school has been too mature about various subjects, and I feel that holding this presentation might make people think twice about SI, at least Posted Image .

Photo
crazycatlover
May 04 2014 02:52 PM

that's so brave ! I would never be able to stand in front of my whole school and say I SI....

Thank you!

It was 10 years ago, mind, which I suppose is part of how I dared do it. It's simply so distant, and it's not really that big of a deal to me anymore... then again, I've been told that I'm brave before when I open up to people, so I guess I should start taking it to heart soon ;) .

WOW!

:yay:

Reading this made me quite emotional. 

I suppose I should also point out that it's a rather small school ;) . But thank you for the feedback nonetheless.

July 2015

S M T W T F S
   123 4

Search My Blog

Recent Comments

Categories

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.