Welcome to Pandora's Aquarium, a rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse survivor message board and chat room.
If you've been a victim of any type of sexual violence, you belong here. What you see below represents just a fraction of the resources and survivor support available. Register now to join our community and take full advantage of what this online support group has to offer you as you heal and recover, or sign in to remove this message.
You are not alone, we can support you as you heal, and you've made an important step toward recovery by reaching out. If you are unable to register or have any questions, please contact the staff or view our home page.
Anybody else have weird triggers? Want to list them? (yes, *trigger warn*)
Posted 05 June 2004 - 02:11 PM
Posted 05 June 2004 - 02:29 PM
- Bunk Beds [the feeling of falling freaks me out, too]
- Attention from men [being groped, grabbed, or talked to by strangers in clubs, for example]
- r*pe jokes or comments about young girls.
And I'm not sure if these count as a trigger, because they don't send me into flashbacks of the abuse, but they do seem to trigger certain responses or moods in me;
- When people are angry or arguing, even when I'm not involved.
- When everyone around me is drinking, and I'm not.
- Sometimes when having sex or when my b/f is initiating.
- Being outside of the house alone. [ I still can't go very far or take the bus on my own]
Posted 05 June 2004 - 02:40 PM
Anyone touching my legs... espically with a face with wiskers or above my knees with anything...
Tickling my feet
haveing my nose or cheeks pinched
the word "Pumpkin" being directed at me in a loving manner
the weirdest one I think I have is having an Orgasm
Posted 05 June 2004 - 03:20 PM
rain...the light, drizzle rain...not the hard, thunder and lightening rain (that I find rather relaxing)
cigarette butts...esp the kind called "Moore"...
barbie dolls...yep, barbie dolls...they aren't allowed in my house, much to my child's dismay
"dust mops"...as opposed to a broom, yeah, I know that's a bit strange
well...that's probably the oddest triggers I have
Posted 05 June 2004 - 03:47 PM
Being alone outside of my room
blood on clothes
any sort of pornography
being held down
being laughed at (in a cruel mocking way)
the smell of alcohol (just getting some on my hands is enough to send me into a panic attack)
Posted 05 June 2004 - 03:55 PM
-being bitten on the ear
-men in their 40's
-little girls (age 3-5) who have dark hair or look anything like me when I was that age
-body odor (on my boyfriend)
-sloppy kissing, french kissing
Posted 05 June 2004 - 08:29 PM
Mine are as follows:
Older guys, in their fifties, I guess
White cars, no matter the make
People saying something sexual
Ppl acting like they don't believe something I'm saying
Being alone with a guy (only one exception to this rule)
The movie The Haunted
Taking walks when a stranger pulls up to ask if I need a ride
Certain textures, I haven't even pinpointed what it is yet
Bathrooms (not sure why)
Somebody sneaking up behind me or holding me down
The mere thought of someone liking me in that way
My gosh, I could write a book
Posted 05 June 2004 - 08:55 PM
Posted 05 June 2004 - 11:02 PM
Musty places, like beverage stores and such.
Anyone sneaking up on me.
Coconut butter lotion or oil.
Anyone touching my neck, except my dad when he gives me a massage.
Scary movies. I loved scary movies before this, i still watch them cause i still love them.
That song "Everybody Hurts" by REM, such an incedibly sad song that it triggers me.
The house settling noises at night.
Being outside at night and ppl walking by, always gets me.
Ill agree on forests, any dark hard tosee enviroment. My back yard at night and basement trigger me badly.
Well i think thats me.
(((((((Hugs To You All))))))))))
Posted 05 June 2004 - 11:23 PM
getting private messages here on pandys.
authority figure people or in any role of any kind that might resemble some sort of authority figure.
warm days when i feel happy (mimics that day for me, before)
friends (it took me a really long time to realize why i was avoiding all of my friends so much)
anyone who doesnt hear me say no (today i was furious and made it clear i was furious when a guy tried to hand me a piece of paper and i said, 'no, NO, i said no!' as he stuffed it into my cart. he said 'sorry' but i was quite mad and i told him, 'no, you're not.' and i stuffed his d*mn paper in the trash.)
any remark about prostitutes or hinting about women and their sexuality in a judgemental way
any talk of 'polyamory' or open relationships etc.
Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:58 AM
I was glad to see young girls as a trigger.
I used to be comforted by the sight of innocence.
Now it has flipped and children give me
"ptsd related situational triggers".
took a year of therapy to figure that one out.
so, children trigger me badly. I hate it. I can't work certain places now.
being pinned down
having anything above my face when sleeping
slander against rape victims - words like tr*sh or ...etc.
frat boys sometimes.
being spied on / violations of privacy.
anyone/anything touching my throat.
Posted 06 June 2004 - 06:31 PM
*being called a whore*
*people touching my stomach*
*sitting in a chair for too long*
*anyone grabbing my @ss*
*being called honey or sweetie*
Posted 07 June 2004 - 01:32 AM
lots of drunk people around when I'm not
Drunk people touching me in any way
people holding my wrists together in one hand
People pinning me down with their hands
sudden movements (of hands, or body)
people near when I'm asleep
the smell of grass
people being judgemental about the way women dress
lots of people in confined spaces
being grabbed, or talked to sleazily
being told I look young, or small
my hair being pulled
anyone pulling things tight around my neck
staring (people staring at me)
People saying "I love you"
People accusing me of not loving them enough
Rape scenes in movies
my wrists being tied
people covering my eyes
being called names of a sexual nature (ie: whore, bitch, slut...)
hmmm.... I'm sure I could write a thesis, but I might stop now.
*hugs* - great thread, bloo
Posted 07 June 2004 - 06:01 AM
* sausage rolls or any other pastry things
* schools, teachers, education in general
* girls around 14 years of age
* men in suits (tough one, when I work in an office full of men in suits!)
* men with large bellies
* men laughing
* any place with lots of people, where I can't see the exit or I can't see everyone in the room
* people asking me for a pencil, or asking me into their office
* people touhing my hair, neck, face, arms....ok, people touching me anywhere!
* people standing behind me, or really close to me
* r@pe scenes on TV, films, books etc
* drunk men (don't know why, as he wasn't drunk)
* men about 40 years + in particular
* the song 'roxanne' from the film Moulin Rouge
K, think thats all I can think of. Seeing girls the same age as I was nearly always makes me cry, usually in the middle of the street!
Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:38 AM
- someone putting their hand over my mouth to shut me up
- people telling me im stupid/thick/dizzy/useless
- anyone touching my legs/knees
- people standing too close to me
- The film 'The Accused'
- rape scenes in films/tv
- Eastenders - although its my favourite programme, some of it is too much for me
- eye contact
- touching my ear(s)
- sometimes sitting in the passenger seat of a car
- looking in the wing mirror of a car (from the passenger's seat)
- sometimes looking in any mirror at myself
- attractive men
- tall, skinny men especially aged 20-40
- cuddling after sex
- sleeping next to someone in the same bed (im ok to have sex with them as long as either they leave or i leave afterwards so i can sleep alone)
- illegal drugs in tablet form
- lies, even small white lies
- a man telling me im beautiful (or giving me any compliments)
- the word 'rape'/jokes about sex, rape, women
- lying on my back in a straight position with my legs together
- seeing my old school friends, two of them in particular.
- the word 'violation'
- my period although it reminds me, i dont actually freak out - i feel happy and relieved (if that makes sense!)
- being stressed in my job or my studies
- not being stressed (having too much time to think)
My goodness, i didnt think i had so many triggers. Most of them remind me of the event(s) but some dont freak me out, it just plays on my mind for days.