Photo

We are survivors, damn it!

Posted by Jennifer2782 , 13 July 2011 · 27 views

At many times in your life, if not all times people will apply a label to you. I think it is comforting to society as a whole to have a place for everyone in this world.
And so for the longest time the label that others applied to me was 'victim'. I guess I can see where they were coming from. At the times when others would call me that it felt true. I was a wreck for so many years and for that time period I would have to say that label was accurate.
It wasn't until I found Pandy's that someone called me a survivor. That was an amazing moment for me. It signaled a change in mentality and drive to get better. I am at the point now that I feel completely like a survivor, I have even recently been able to say, and mean it, that I am FINALLY okay. It is an amazing transformation, not unlike a caterpillar into a butterfly.
Here is what is getting to me lately...I keep hearing people just casually throw around the words 'survive' and 'survivor'. Those are OUR WORDS. In my mind they belong to those of us who have gone through SA, CSA or any other form for that matter. Sure there are other forms of survival but I think it is a given that, say, a car crash survivor is a survivor. I am more talking about the people that will casually say they 'survived' the day at work, or 'survived' the weekend, or what have you.
I am sorry if this seems a bit petty but, to me, if you just had to work a little harder then you DID NOT survive the day at work, you did your job. I think if you have gone through trauma then you can say you survived something, otherwise people probably need to choose their words more wisely.
I have compassion for someone having a bad day, don't get me wrong but....

WE ARE SURVIVORS, DAMN IT!

Okay I feel better now, just needed to vent...

So well said :thumbsup:
Photo
Jennifer2782
Jul 14 2011 06:48 AM
Aaaawwwwww <3 You guys are awesome. Thank you for so many positive comments and thank you for helping me to see I am not the only one that has felt this way. I felt petty in a way last night for writing this, I mean it is just a word right? But it's not, it is a single word that is the only suitable one to describe not only what we have been through but how much we have healed. Thank you again for letting me vent.

Hugs to all who want them. XO <3
I couldn't agree more. I am so tired of feeling like I did something wrong,when really I am the victim.I want to be able to say I am a survivor and not be ashamed. I did nothing wrong yet i am the one who feels like crap, while my perps get to enjoy life with no consequences.
Photo
mybrotherdidit
Jul 14 2011 10:04 PM
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Everyone should see this inspirational post!
Photo
PurplePhoenix
Jul 17 2011 04:10 AM
I absolutely agree! I feel that cancer survivors are really the only other people who deserve to be called "survivors" But even then (am I totally evil for saying this??) I feel that we survived so much MORE because what we survived was something of human cruelty at it's worst...

When people ask me how I am, I will often say "I'm surviving" when I cannot say "I'm okay". I feel better about saying that now...thank you. i feel more that I deserve to say that I'm surviving. Every breath we take is survival, we have every right to OWN it!

I also can't stand it when people casually throw around some of the words that we know so well...like "I'm having/I had a panic attack" when really they were just overwhelmed or "I got no sleep last night" just because they got less than 8 hours. Even hearing people say "I have a migraine" when they really just have a headache, REALLY bothers me for some reason.

Awesome post! THANKS!

July 2014

S M T W T F S
67891011 12

Recent Comments

Categories

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.