Photo

I could use some advice

Posted by tpatt2008 , 06 November 2012 · 39 views

Trigger warning: I need help today. I literally spent all morning talking to three of my abusers (not all at once, but one after the other). I was on an adrenaline rush, saying things that have been bottled up for awhile. There's still so much to say. One of my abusers, my first boyfriend, is older than me. He was like my brother. He was abused as a child so he understood me. He's been in my life since I was in grammar school. He's 11 years older than me. He was my first everything. He used to be abusive to me sometimes. I've just recently started to understand that he groomed me to be with him and that a lot that happened during our relationship impacted me for the worse. It's all very complicated. As much as I'm angry with him, I miss him. I'm tired of being afraid of my hometown, of the past, of all the people who hurt me, of the feelings that I now have for men and women, of myself. I'm tired of thinking of him as my abuser. He's apologized to me and he's tried to be there for me as I've been an adult and be a better person. He's opening up a non-profit to help men who have been abused and have perpetuated the cycle (as he is one of them) and he's also getting backing to do a similar program for women (he wouldn't lead it though by no means). I've always wanted to be apart of something like this and help women especially in my hometown and old neighborhood where rape and sexual assault are pretty much a right of passage. I'm just not sure if I should put myself back in that environment, surrounded by him and all the other people who hurt me, on a regular basis. I don't live at home anymore and I'm going home for the holidays. I'm wondering if I should stay... I just think it's unfair that I've had to give up everything I've known, all my family, all my friends, because I was afraid of being home and being hurt again. But if I can trust him, if he really is sorry, if he really didn't mean to hurt me, maybe I can go home. He knows what I'm going through, no matter how much of it is his fault. No one else gets it like he does. No one else knows me like he does. Maybe I can get some familiarity and stability again. Maybe I can go back to work and start to feel like myself again. I don't know. A lot happened to me at home (besides what happened between he and I). There's a lot of history. I have some serious questions to ask him, but I guess I'm wondering if anyone understands? What would you do? Could you forgive and work with someone who took away your childhood?

hi,
i can understand how you feel as i was a victim of csa/incest and it was at the had of my sibling.if it was me i truly believe in forgiveness because it helps you to forgive yourself. (my opinion). i completely forgive my sister but my anger was with my mom for not protecting me. she only just apologized after 18 years and it made me feel relieved in some form of way i don't know if it was the same for you but then only YOU will know in your heart if that apology was sincere. one thing that is more important than anything is to forgive you that is the same thing i am learning now. we are the survivors! why do we have to isolated ourselves and that is just what i did too i would say if you feel you can be comfortable to be around your family do it and enjoy it and if its triggering just go home do what is comfortable for you.Posted Image
bless

hi,i can understand how you feel as i was a victim of csa/incest and it was at the had of my sibling.if it was me i truly believe in forgiveness because it helps you to forgive yourself. (my opinion). i completely forgive my sister but my anger was with my mom for not protecting me. she only just apologized after 18 years and it made me feel relieved in some form of way i don't know if it was the same for you but then only YOU will know in your heart if that apology was sincere. one thing that is more important than anything is to forgive you that is the same thing i am learning now. we are the survivors! why do we have to isolated ourselves and that is just what i did too i would say if you feel you can be comfortable to be around your family do it and enjoy it and if its triggering just go home do what is comfortable for you.Posted Imagebless

Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it. It's really helpful.
Even if he's truly remorseful you have to take into consideration how it's going to affect you, truly look into yourself and imagine all the scenarios that will occur once you're back in that familiar territory. Can you handle the triggers and dealing with old memories/people should they arrive. It's not an easy decision by no means. For myself I'd never be able to do it, I've moved on and don't ever think of looking back, that's just me, you have to do what's right for you. Posted Image Good luck

jd x

Even if he's truly remorseful you have to take into consideration how it's going to affect you, truly look into yourself and imagine all the scenarios that will occur once you're back in that familiar territory. Can you handle the triggers and dealing with old memories/people should they arrive. It's not an easy decision by no means. For myself I'd never be able to do it, I've moved on and don't ever think of looking back, that's just me, you have to do what's right for you. Posted Image Good luck jd x

Thank you! :)

November 2014

S M T W T F S
23242526 27 2829

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Categories

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.