Photo

Treat yourself!

Posted by Kaity , 30 March 2013 · 17 views

How to save a life.
Step 7.

Since pay day has finally came I found myself with enough extra money to treat myself to a mani-pedi. I didn't expect anything other than the nail treatment but what I got was worth so much more than the money I spent.

The woman who did my nails was 7 months pregnant and just radiating happiness. She spoke broken English but that didn't make her happiness or joy for life any less clear to me. We spoke the entire time, she made me laugh, and I even got to hear some of her personal stories. She was probably about 40, she told me she had a son who was 21 and a daughter who was 16. When I told her I just wanted to treat myself, she somehow knew that something was up. She shared with me her struggle with a teenage pregnancy, finding acceptance in her family and showing her son that he was her entire world.

I don't know if it was like a motherly instinct of hers or if I'm just that transparent but she looked up at me and said "You're beautiful and deserve to be treated well all the time. A young woman like yourself should have no worries and shouldn't have to answer to anyone. You have to love yourself when times are hard! Life is short." Okay, so I'm paraphrasing a little bit, but you get the jist of it.

Not only was it the best manicure and pedicure I've ever had, but she gave me the permission I've been searching for to be myself and love myself for what I am. I've never had that from my parents, much less a perfect stranger! Although, after today I don't think we are strangers at all anymore.

Before I left I gave her a hug and she told me to come back soon and that the next manicure is on her. Once I got in my car I cried just from happiness and as a stress-release.

Michelle, thank you. You are beautiful inside and out. Your children are so very lucky to have you as a mother and I hope they realize that.

Don't be afraid to treat yourself once in a while. A mani-pedi, a good cry, a new friendship, whatever it be you deserve it! This was the best decision I've made in months!
"The best things in life are unexpected - because there were no expectations."
Eli Khamarov

Don't forget to smile, because you're beautiful and worth it!

That's amazing. Unexpected kindness is such a beautiful thing. :)

I think we all need to remind ourselves of this sometimes.

Thank you, this made me smile.

April 2014

S M T W T F S
131415 16 171819

Recent Comments

Categories

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.