Welcome to Pandora's Aquarium, a rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse survivor message board and chat room.
If you've been a victim of any type of sexual violence, you belong here. What you see below represents just a fraction of the resources and survivor support available. Register now to join our community and take full advantage of what this online support group has to offer you as you heal and recover, or sign in to remove this message.
You are not alone, we can support you as you heal, and you've made an important step toward recovery by reaching out. If you are unable to register or have any questions, please contact the staff or view our home page.
Anybody else have weird triggers? Want to list them? (yes, *trigger warn*)
Posted 17 June 2004 - 09:35 AM
*lying on my stomach (only sometimes)
*'4th of July' by Soundgarden
*having a locked jaw
*men with long black pony tails
*seeing the top I was wearing when it happened
*seeing his photo
*seeing him or hearing his voice
*seeing men who look like him in the distance
*having sex in the same positions used by my perps (horrible)
*being touched when I'm sleeping
Posted 23 June 2004 - 05:52 AM
-colt45 (especially in 40oz. bottles)
-cinnamon toast crunch
-pink shirts, baby doll shoes
-peurto rican men
-gangs, especially crips
-the happy and sad drama masks symbol
-fraternity greek lettering
-old yellow vans
-d.j's, record spinning, muscle relaxers, coricidin
-Colonial Williamsburg (especially the Coke-Garrett mansion)
-the word "devil" (especially in combination with the color red)
-government housing, old plantations
-clothes left on while being intimate w/husband
-red and blue cop lights
-New Year's and Easter (or anything related like dyed eggs etc.)
-Happy Gilmore, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, Seven
-White Zombie, Ghetto Boys, the song "Runaround" from Blues Traveler, Snoop Dog, Wyclef Jean, Green Jello
-Cypress Hill and the Fugees, although unfortunately i still LOVE them both and listen to them anyways...
-St. Pauli's girl bottles/labels
-nasty public restrooms/graffiti
yeah... lovely, eh?
Posted 23 June 2004 - 08:36 AM
black men, young in particular, but any age.
anyone with their hair in "corn rows" or little braids
lil bow wow
sports cars playing loud music
light colored vans
dark gray cotton underwear
the song "it's raining men"
the song "hero" by enrique blahblahblah
smell of tequila
being alone, especially at night
being in a crowd
having just my top on while being intimate
anger (directed at me or not)
the smell of alcohol on someone's breath
being blamed for something/anything
thinking i've let someone down
thinking i've offended someone
not being perfect
Posted 29 June 2004 - 06:40 AM
- watching TV with the lights out and the door locked
- sofa beds with green fabric - especially the fold out matress part of it
- candles ( any type including b'day candles)
- strawberry / blueberry scented body lotion
- The feeling of anything slimy / greasy on my hands
- boys with facial hair
- needles of any type
- the phrase " u know u want to"
- being pressured to do anything
- being abandoned / feeling helpless
- being left alone
- The movie Pirates of the Carribean
- My 17th B'day
- white ceilings
- laying on my back
- any weight on my stomach
- the choking sensation
- not being able to breathe
- not being believed
- any thing that reminds me of sex
- Michael Jackson DVD
-Con Air Movie
- going anywhere with guy by myself
This post has been edited by Nikki cutie pie: 10 January 2005 - 08:49 PM
Posted 29 June 2004 - 03:30 PM
-men sitting too close to me
-being alone with a man
-people hugging me/touching me in general (unless I've told them it's okay)
-the word facial
-silver SATURN VUEs
-people having sex on t.v./in movies
-shaving my bikini area
-the smell of his cologne
-Nautica/Ralph Lauren clothing
-pot (eventhough I still smoke it...i know, weird)
-someone touching my hip
-grabbing me from behind
-giving oral sex
-being asked to be more vocal during sex
I have looked at this thread for a while and clicked on it for the first time today. I have always tried to ignore the fact that some things scare me or remind me of abuse/him. It was hard to write out this list but I know it's helpful...and now I have something new to talk about with my therapist.
Posted 30 June 2004 - 06:43 PM
My WEIRDer triggers (There are all to many list):
- dark blue/green old style Ford F-150’s
- Old (squareish) red SUV’s
- Certain roads/towns
- Fighting, boxing, wrestling of any kind- even friendly, even when it doesn’t involve me
- Dark, or deep set eyes (eyes that just have that look)
- ALL males around my age
- Bud light- bottles/ the sound of bottles
- Foosball tables
- Anything moving by my head
- Someone standing close enough behind me to feel them, hear their breathing
- A guys arm around my neck, shoulders (even in a friendly, from behind hug)
- Sloppy kissing, slobber on my neck
- The backs of hands, fists- directed towards me or not
- Red sheets
- Cats (sadly, esp. kittens)
- Walking on a dirt road on a chilly night with no jacket
- the number 11
- my old cell phone
- being near anyone angry- even if its not at me
- being touched- even non-sexual contact
- upsetting people, angering them, messing up
- small pasta shells with plain sauce
- cuts on my fingers from tin can lids
- being pinned, over powered
- my arms being held, wrists
- boat marinas at night, the inside cabins of motor boats
- Sticks / tree branches
- Guys arms and hands in general
- The bright lighting of an ER- tile reflective floors, smell
- Stall showers with a plastic door
- Jeep Cherokees
- Drive in movie theatre
- Magic markers snapped together (cap-end)
- Saying “please stop” for any reason to anyone
- Hearing “trust me” “I know you want it” “touch it” “I’m not going to hurt you” “Come on” and others...
- A certain type of laugh
- A certain grin
- Weight on me other than blankets
- Shirts that slip off one shoulder, or having one shoulder bare, or a tear on the left shoulder
- The male parts... (that ones not that abnormal)
- barb wire tattoos around the bicep
- wide board, dark wood floors and ceilings/ creaky floors
I'll stop there. the list goes on and on forever- I'm just a big ball of panic and fear right now, lol!
Posted 01 July 2004 - 10:18 PM
I'm hoping it will help to be here and do this.
Most of the triggers I'm finding in reading here are actually quite common. (Maybe I'm not as odd as I thought.) Nothing really causes actual flashbacks anymore, just the emotions. Which are mine?
* Anyone touching/stroking my hair
* Steak knives
*Coveralls, especially orange, but any color, really
*People whispering in my ear, especially ffom behind
*Driving dark, winding highways/roadways
*Men that grab my arm or wrist with any kind of force, especially if they don't let go
*Anything to do with artificial lubricants, including advertisements
*The post office, any post office, at night
Okay, enough for now. Thank you for listening.
Posted 02 July 2004 - 08:55 AM
I live in the southern most part of Canada and right now here is the season for a flying bug called "fish fly's". They are EVERYWHERE. MILLIONS covering my house, the roads, the grass, EVERYTHING including me when I go outside. It is a horrible nightmare that I cant wake up from.
This is proving to be a very big trigger for me.
Posted 03 July 2004 - 03:04 PM
2. Sometimes, the band Radiohead (which is unfortunate, because they are one of my favorite bands).
3. The band Wilco.
4. Men under 30 who are overweight.
5. Male professors or TA's.
6. Being told what I like.
7. The sound AOL Instant Messenger (Aim) makes when you get an instant message.
8. His first name, and a certain word which is the same as his last name.
9. Feeling like my mouth or teeth are dirty.
10. Men who talk about barely legal celebrities, etc.
1. Music by The Strokes (they used to be one of my favorite bands).
2. Walking by the concert hall where the concert was.
3. Indie rock guys in their early twenties.
4. Men standing or walking close behind me.
5. Men passing me quickly from behind while I'm walking.
6. Loud, sudden noises.
7. A packed crowd in an enclosed area.
8. Seeing gum in someone's hair.
9. Feeling like my hair is dirty or tangled.
Posted 03 July 2004 - 08:08 PM
--men in overcoats
--the sound of dishes clanking together
--the presence of anyone behind me
--the smell of cigar smoke
--when i'm brushing my teeth and have to brush my tounge...that's the absolute worst feeling...i gag almost everytime
--the smell of irish spring soap
--men i see who chew on their nails
--the sound of the ocean, looking at the ocean at night when noone is on the beach.
Posted 12 July 2004 - 08:57 PM
*the smell of smoke/pot
*the "R" word
*if somebody tries to play with my hair (one of the worst ones)
*when people whisper into my ear
*if a boy tries to make a move or even if I suspect that he'll make a move (not so bad anymore)
*if I find myself attracked to someone, or if I start to trust them
Chelsea, biting diamonds
Posted 12 July 2004 - 10:16 PM
*Someone standing to close behind me
*Laying down with nothing under my head
*Laying down on an unmade bed -- his bed was not made at the time. And also this is kinda weird, if anyone else sits or lays down on an unmade bed I start to feel really dirty.
*Having my legs exposed
I'm sure there are others that I will think of later.