Photo

Day 200: Volitile Eruption (TRIGGER WARNING)

Posted by intrepidshe , in Crying, Touch, Healing Work 28 June 2014 · 418 views

June 28, 2014 Intrepid Age = 128 Days:

Friends

Some days one foot cannot find its place beside the other, yet I continue to propel forward.
Some days it feels like dub fails to follow lub, yet oxygen flows to my limbs.
Some days I fear the sun just will not rise, yet it wakens me through my curtains, much to my surprise.
Some days the pain is too much to bear, but in my grief, in the deepest dark, there do friends abide.

Yesterday AF helped me extract a particularly painful splinter. As was evident this week, it was festering for days. It started to break the surface on Tuesday when I experienced a trigger from going into a wood shop. The timing was terrible that night and I backed away from going after it fully. It was getting late and I had an early appointment the next morning. Also, it was a tough day with my friend, Liza, leaving her husband.

As it turned out, it was better that I held back on Tuesday from going after it to its full depth. I wouldn't have gotten to its root. Last night I did, and it was debilitating.

AF invited me to her place yesterday afternoon. I admitted that we were likely to encounter a deeply painful memory. She knew. And she invited me anyway.

When I got there I was petrified. She gave me a hug, asking if I was OK. I stood shaking and trembling in her arms. "Oh, hun, you're not OK," she said. She asked if I wanted to sit and talk, but I didn't. I couldn't. The words were buried beneath the physical pain I was feeling from my ribs. I asked her, instead, to lay hands on the painful areas. I knew that would serve the function of pulling the splinter. In a matter of minutes her hands found the spot. She could feel the heat coming from it. After a few seconds I started to cry.

And then I just fell apart, coming completely undone with grief. I thrashed and my muscles convulsed as I wept. I leaned into her looking to be held and she wrapped her arms around me. I grabbed onto her for dear life. The pain was staggering, and I still wasn't sure exactly what it was expressing. I knew from Tuesday night the splinter was associated with my step-father photographing me. But, I saw in my mind the deep memory that caused this wound to feel so hot and infected.

I was able to pull into focus and tell her, "She was right above us, so many times, most of the time."

AF didn't quite understand what I said.

"My mom. She was upstairs, right above us, maybe 20 feet away while we were in the wood shop." I was barely able to choke out the words through the sobs in my throat. "He built the wood shop so he could then build the dark room." I grabbed tightly onto her, burying my face in her shoulder, wailing at the words that next formed in my mind. It took a while to be able to speak them, "He must have been planning for a long time what he was going to do to me."

"I'm so sorry honey," she said as she held me tight and rubbed my back. I curled more tightly into her. The thoughts in my head were coming unbidden and I felt I couldn't bear any more. I wished to shut it off, but there was no way. I had no choice but to hold on and witness my past.

I kept thinking, "My mom had to know, or suspect the entire time. Why else would she so carefully stay away. They all carefully stayed away when he was with me. No one ever came in. There was an unspoken agreement. They all gave me to him because I was the strong one; I could take it."

"I could have gotten away."

"No, sweetie, you couldn't. You tried and you weren't believed. Your mom convinced you what was happening was OK. And, you chose to protect your siblings. You were so brave."

These words were excruciating to hear from her at that moment. At that moment I felt like I was being held by the mother I never had and she was protecting me, listening to me, believing me." I thought, "God, I wish you had been my mother."

"You did everything you could," she added.

I nodded. I knew what she was saying was true. "I put myself between him and them many times."

"Yes. Think what more would have happened to them if you hadn't."

I cried anguished sobs from deep, deep inside. My abdominal muscles burned with the pain of it. I just wanted to stop what was I was seeing in my mind but I couldn't. And I couldn't say it. I had a flashback of being held by him. That smell of him. His hands on me, making me . . . asking, "doesn't that feel good right there?" I was nearly gagging at the memory and the scent filling my nose.

"God, the smell! I hated it! I hated it so much!"

"Oh, honey, I'm so sorry. I'm so, so sorry." She said.

I was smelling the sex and the saw dust and his sweat as he held me. I thought, "I never thought of it as sex. It wasn't intercourse. There was no penetration. My mom when I was little said it wasn't rape when the baby sitter digitally raped me. I couldn't put together what was happening. I never fucking stood a chance. Not from day one!!"

"She was always nearby. She was passed out from drinking and sometimes just in the next room, as close as 10 feet away! Why!? Why!? Why!? Why didn't I matter?" I cried into her shoulder.

She said I did matter, that there is something wrong with my mom. She's sick. She's not able to love. "It wasn't you, honey."

I so desperately needed to hear those words. I knew rationally the truth of them. I have fought relentlessly in therapy to absorb them. But, they couldn't break through the scabs inside me. I needed the nurturing of touch and acceptance of my tears. I needed to hear the words from someone who loves me and knows what happened.

I was panting at this point from the effort and the horrible images I was seeing. "I can't stand the smells."

"What smells, honey? What do you smell?" she asked.

It was so painful to form the words, to say them out loud. "The smell of . . . wine . . . the smell of . . . coffee . . . on his breath." I wanted to also say the smell of wine and coffee on my mom's breath too. It was worse on her breath because it represented her betrayal of me. She smelled like him and she gave me to him. I couldn't say those words. It was like bile. I couldn't let it up through my throat. I thought I might actually throw up at that moment. I managed to swallow it back down.

She started talking to me then. I'm sure she knew I was having a flashback and seeing it all happening. She said, "I've got you. I won't let him hurt you ever again. He's not here. You're safe. You're with me and you're safe."

Incredibly, I can't believe it was even possible because I had already been crying with such intensity, but I cried harder. Those words of comfort were so desperately needed when I was a small child. And then in that moment I finally, fully accepted his abuse started when I was nine years old. And I said so out loud. AF asked when my mom married him. "When I was eight years old."

She then encouraged me to kick him. She said, "You won. You already won. You beat him."

I knew she was right. I fought him off with the knife; and the times he beat me up I ended up still standing. I did win!! I won!!

"He didn't get what he wanted in the end," I said through gritted teeth, meaning I didn't let him have intercourse with me when he attempted to rape me. "I was willing to die at that point. I reached the point I didn't care what happened to me any more. I had been through so much I just didn't care if I lived." I know the reason he stopped was because I would have screamed and woken my mom. Also, there was a good chance I would have cut him at least once. I saw the fear in his eyes.

She talked about how I am as a mom myself. How I worked so hard to learn how to be loving and safe. How I have made a good life for my children. She said, "You're amazing, honey. You are so strong and full of joy. You never let him put out that light inside you. You protected it. You are a miracle."

Then she said again, "Kick him!"

I was able to draw my legs up, but I couldn't do it. I could see him with his arms around me. I could smell the coffee and the wine. I could see the wood panel walls and the ceiling with my mom passed out in her room above. Then AF did it. She kicked him away. Gut wrenching sobs ripped through me. The flashback stopped.

I stayed in her arms for a long time. The tears came like waves as I clung to her. Then slowly the tide went out, the tears stopped. I sighed several times, breathing deeply for the first time in days. She then helped me visualize that light inside me. She told me to see it shining from within, reaching to my toes, to my fingers, to my nose. Then she said to envision it surrounding me. "Your light is your shield now. It will protect you. He'll never hurt you again." At this point I was laying down and she was sitting next to me. She kept talking and soothing me. I became very sleepy and relaxed. Every muscle felt like it released and sunk into the surface beneath me. I could see the light surrounding the both of us. I felt warm and safe. 

I realized the rib pain was gone. The abdominal pain was gone. I was exhausted, like I could sleep for a year. I could hardly keep my eyes open.

She brought me a blanket and pillow so I could sleep. She let me sleep for I think an hour or so and then woke me to offer me something to eat. She checked with me before giving me the blanket and pillow to see if I wanted to just sleep or if I would want food. I knew I would need food as I hadn't eaten a full lunch. I would wake in the night feeling sick if I didn't eat dinner.

She gave me a taco and set up a movie for us to watch. She offered to let me just go back to sleep. But, I was hoping to clear my head and be able to head home. I felt like a home invader. Neither one of us had banked on my staying the night. I was a terrible inconvenience. I was incredibly weak and dizzy. So, I thought I might feel better after eating and watching a movie.

The movie was light and funny. It was The Delivery Man, with Vince Vaughn. We laughed a lot as we watched it. This felt like returning to reality and starting to normalize after what felt like an epic grieving experience. After the movie I felt more tired than I had before eating. I just couldn't keep my eyes open. As guilty as I felt for taking up so much of her time and space in her home, I was utterly spent. I admitted to her I couldn't drive. I felt bad. I wanted to give her back her privacy.

She was gracious about it and let me stay and sleep on her couch. And wow did I sleep! I woke up 10 hours later having not moved as far as I could remember. I wouldn't have woken even then except for my phone ringing. I pulled it out of my purse and was stunned by what I saw. It was my mom. For some reason she was calling to just catch up, to ask how things were, did my sister enjoy her visit. I found myself answering her questions and wondering how I could have the reality of what she did to me along side the reality of our relationship today. I don't have an answer for that. But both realities exist.

I took AF out to breakfast and we did some grocery shopping. After that she needed a nap herself. I finally went home and let her rest. I'm sure she was exhausted.

AF, I said this to you already, but it bears repeating. I just don't know how to thank you for what you have done for me.

To my Pandy's friends I say the same thing. I felt your support and encouragement last night. I am sorry I didn't post to let you know I was OK. With how I have been this week I can understand why my silence was worrisome.

I understand I do matter. I always mattered. Eventually it won't matter to me anymore that I didn't matter to my mom.

I couldn't read all, but I got to the bit about AF and the root of the memory. I am so sorry your step-father was such a disgusting asshole. I am sorry that your mother was completely and totally incapable of being anything other than an egg donor. I am sorry that you were put into a position that you felt like you had to protect your family. You didn't have a choice. You had not control it was taken from you.  None of it was your fault. Not a single bit of it. 

Intrepid, I love you. I love you so, so much. I don't really have much to say still...I am still quite stuck...guess I have my own splinters that need removing...but gosh they are so deep. Oye, sorry...tangent. I love you and your bravery. You are such an inspiration to me. :) Safe hugs for you always.
:hug: :hug: :hug:
She then helped me visualize that light inside me. She told me to see it shining from within, reaching to my toes, to my fingers, to my nose. Then she said to envision it surrounding me. "Your light is your shield now. It will protect you. He'll never hurt you again." At this point I was laying down and she was sitting next to me. She kept talking and soothing me. I became very sleepy and relaxed. Every muscle felt like it released and sunk into the surface beneath me. I could see the light surrounding the both of us. I felt warm and safe. 

I can see your beautiful light from here, I can see it every time I read one of your postings, it feels just like a safe gentle hug. If you ever lose sight of it let us know, we will be your mirror. 

I'm so glad that you survived the terrible things he did to you. I'm so glad that he didn't end you, that the pain he caused didn't end you. You are so precious. You are so important to me. I'm so glad that you were able to get through that pain and the memories with AFs help. She is right, he can never hurt you again. I'm so excited for you about your easy deep breaths and your hours and hours of sound sleep. I'm so excited that you were able to take care of you and let AF help you when you needed her. 

You are so incredibly brave. hug.gif

Intrepid, I haven't been responding much lately, but I HAVE been reading and it's amazing to me that just a few weeks ago, you were writing about how you couldn't cry.  You are going through so many changes in your healing and while it hurts deeply, this is GOOD.

Thinking of you and trying to send you hope and courage :hug:

Intrepid,
You are very important to me too. I'm so very sorry for the pain you have endured and I too am glad you're here. Always here for you.

I couldn't read the entirety of your blog, but I got the general sense of it, and my heart hurts for you, for the horrors you had to endure when you were such a little girl. I'm glad you had comfort as you relived your memories.   It's good, to open up like that and be received with safe love from someone you trust.  **sitting with you if you'd like**

Take gentle care of yourself intrepid. You have done some amazing work. Some deep work. Some awesome work. And you are so worth it.

Read. Cried. :hug: love you.

It's done. That splinter, that log of truth, is out. No more deceit. Now you know, and you know you are not alone anymore.

I have many more words but they are not very positive and include a whole lot of profanity for your mother for marrying that predator, and for the predator himself.

You, however, glow in the dark and all of Life can see it.

Photo
intrepidshe
Jun 29 2014 04:33 PM

I couldn't read all, but I got to the bit about AF and the root of the memory. I am so sorry your step-father was such a disgusting asshole. I am sorry that your mother was completely and totally incapable of being anything other than an egg donor. I am sorry that you were put into a position that you felt like you had to protect your family. You didn't have a choice. You had no control it was taken from you.  None of it was your fault. Not a single bit of it. 

Thank you Nebulas for the support and the reminder about responsibility. I feel like I'm finally really letting go of blame. I don't know why it's necessary for me to cry it out in order to be released from its grip. But, I accept this is the case and it is helping me.

Photo
intrepidshe
Jun 29 2014 04:40 PM

Intrepid, I love you. I love you so, so much. I don't really have much to say still...I am still quite stuck...guess I have my own splinters that need removing...but gosh they are so deep. Oye, sorry...tangent. I love you and your bravery. You are such an inspiration to me. smile.png Safe hugs for you always.

Kaylack, I'm deeply moved by your words, their support and compassion reach to my soul. You'll get to those splinters. It takes time and persistence to work them to the surface and then a cliff dive into trust to pull them out.

I used to do that a lot when I was young (jumping from cliffs). I remember that moment each time, standing at the edge, curling my toes over the corner, hanging on a moment more but preparing to leap. It took courage to stand there in the sun, looking across the sparkling water below. It took faith to step up and out into mid air. Invariably I would hold my breath as I fell toward the water, then remember at the last second to exhale and take in as much as I could before I hit the surface. Sploosh! Then, fear. How deep would I go? How far would the current take me? And I would find the surface, gulp more air and smile into the sunlight again.

That's how I feel today. I have surfaced and am smiling into the sunlight.

You'll get there dear friend. And when you do, we will be standing with you or cheering from the river below. Also, you might decide to use a tire swing. Maybe you'll zip line down to the river, or hang glide. The point is, you will take that leap when and how you want, in the manner that is best for you, and we'll be there.

Photo
intrepidshe
Jun 29 2014 04:47 PM

hug.gifhug.gifhug.gif

Thanks Susanna, and back to you. hug.gifhug.gifhug.gif

Photo
intrepidshe
Jun 29 2014 04:48 PM

She then helped me visualize that light inside me. She told me to see it shining from within, reaching to my toes, to my fingers, to my nose. Then she said to envision it surrounding me. "Your light is your shield now. It will protect you. He'll never hurt you again." At this point I was laying down and she was sitting next to me. She kept talking and soothing me. I became very sleepy and relaxed. Every muscle felt like it released and sunk into the surface beneath me. I could see the light surrounding the both of us. I felt warm and safe. 

I can see your beautiful light from here, I can see it every time I read one of your postings, it feels just like a safe gentle hug. If you ever lose sight of it let us know, we will be your mirror. 

I'm so glad that you survived the terrible things he did to you. I'm so glad that he didn't end you, that the pain he caused didn't end you. You are so precious. You are so important to me. I'm so glad that you were able to get through that pain and the memories with AFs help. She is right, he can never hurt you again. I'm so excited for you about your easy deep breaths and your hours and hours of sound sleep. I'm so excited that you were able to take care of you and let AF help you when you needed her. 

You are so incredibly brave. hug.gif

Sugar, this meant a lot to me. Thank you!

Photo
intrepidshe
Jun 29 2014 04:50 PM

Intrepid, I haven't been responding much lately, but I HAVE been reading and it's amazing to me that just a few weeks ago, you were writing about how you couldn't cry.  You are going through so many changes in your healing and while it hurts deeply, this is GOOD.

Thinking of you and trying to send you hope and courage hug.gif

Allegro,

Thanks for your support. I understand about not responding. I have been there myself. Sometimes we have the energy to read but not to form words to reply. Thanks for letting me know you're reading. It means a lot to me.

Photo
intrepidshe
Jun 29 2014 04:51 PM

Intrepid,
You are very important to me too. I'm so very sorry for the pain you have endured and I too am glad you're here. Always here for you.

Sue, I feel the same about you. Thank you for your steady support and compassion. It helps me more than I can possibly say!

Photo
intrepidshe
Jun 29 2014 04:52 PM

I couldn't read the entirety of your blog, but I got the general sense of it, and my heart hurts for you, for the horrors you had to endure when you were such a little girl. I'm glad you had comfort as you relived your memories.   It's good, to open up like that and be received with safe love from someone you trust.  **sitting with you if you'd like**

I very much appreciate and need to company Free. It still amazes me how painful this healing process can be. Thank you for being here! And I'm sitting with you as well.

Photo
intrepidshe
Jun 29 2014 04:53 PM

Take gentle care of yourself intrepid. You have done some amazing work. Some deep work. Some awesome work. And you are so worth it.

I'm hearing you loud and clear today, Lolli. I am taking it very easy. Thank you for your support and compassion. It helps me so very much!

Photo
intrepidshe
Jun 29 2014 04:56 PM

Read. Cried. hug.gif love you.

Mand, it moves me that you cried. I don't want you to be sad, but it tells me this is sad. What happened to me was painful and it is OK to cry about it. For that reason I asked AF if she cried. I don't want her to take in the pain, but it meant a lot to me when she said she did cry. It was affirmation that these injuries warrant tears. If she cried, if you cried, then it's OK that I cried.

I love you too, Mandy.

Photo
intrepidshe
Jun 29 2014 05:14 PM

It's done. That splinter, that log of truth, is out. No more deceit. Now you know, and you know you are not alone anymore.

I have many more words but they are not very positive and include a whole lot of profanity for your mother for marrying that predator, and for the predator himself.

You, however, glow in the dark and all of Life can see it.

Jiva, I love that you referred to it as a "log of truth." Boy, it sure felt that way. Not just a little splinter, but a huge one, piercing deeply through the layers, through the fascia, through muscle, and into bone. I am glad you said what you did about your words for my mother and step-father. I don't know that I'll ever have words for them. I'm not sure I need to. But, it helps me when you do.

I love the idea of letting my light shine for all to see. I feel that's why I survived. That light isn't mine, but that of the universe or the holy spirit or whatever framework fits.

About Intrepid She

This is a moderated PUBLIC blog. This blog is a therapeutic tool I am using to help me get over my fear of doctors (which is made difficult by a history of abuse by them) to learn to grieve, and ultimately to integrate my dis-integrated heart.

View postings specific to health care.

View postings specific to touch.

View postings specific to crying.

The content of this blog is not appropriate for children or for anyone who might be triggered by reading about sexual abuse.

To the many others walking your own version of this path, I wish you well on your journey. -Intrepid

More Healing:

- Framed and Unashamed

- Yarnfoolishness' Journal

- Susanna's Blog

- What's Inside my Head?

- Healing Resources

Search My Blog

Contact Me Outside Pandys

I can be reached by email at a Gmail account based on my userid here in Pandys. I'm sure you can piece it together. I won't enter the address here because of bots that read email addresses from screens. I really don't want spam. But I wanted people outside of Pandys to be able to reach me.

July 2016

S M T W T F S
2425262728 29 30

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.