Photo

Day 106: Shame Should Follow Blame <major rant>

Posted by intrepidshe , in Healing Work 26 March 2014 · 144 views

Mar. 26, 2014 (35 Days Into Becoming):

Mary M's blog has a poem that has been revealing layers of understanding for me this week. I have been thinking and thinking about it.

http://frametheshame...ir-meaning.html (It's beautifully written!)

Her words speak to me about the ironies SA survivors face. Something about shame hit me really hard just now in reflecting on her poem. I can't articulate the idea nearly as well as I know Mary could, but the gist of it is, "shame should follow blame but instead it clings to vulnerability."

I think a lot about this topic of who carries the shame and how hard it is to transfer it to the perpetrator. The perpetrator is the one to blame not the vulnerable victim. However, for many reasons, because of many structures, because of aspects of our culture, because of the legal system, because of the guile of the abuser, though the blame belongs to the perpetrator, the shame tends to cling to the victim like tar . . . or perhaps super glue.

In therapy we are reminded time and again to give the shame back. My therapist uses a metaphor about someone giving you a gift. "When you do not accept the gift, whose gift is it?" She asks.

The answer is that the gift belongs to the giver.

It sounds so simple.

But, with shame it isn't that easy for me. It's more like, in the middle of a transplant surgery the team realizes you don't need the heart, so they don't implant it in you. However, the corpse it came from can't exactly accept it back and won't have any use for it anyway. It's just not so easy as saying, "I refuse to accept your shame."

Yes, we certainly need to say that.

But, it doesn't do the job by itself, because we still face the daily attempts of others to keep giving us the gift. You turn away the gift and tomorrow they're back at your door holding it out to you. You turn it away again, and they find your doorstep the following day. Plus, it's different people who show up trying to give you this gift. One day its the perpetrator, the next day it's your mother, after that it's a TV show, then a neighbor, an insurance company, a politician, or your best friend.

Furthermore, many tricky techniques are used. It's not as if people say, "You need to accept the shame for what happened to you." Oh no! If it was that simple we'd find it easy to recognize and refuse. It's more like they hide the gift in something else like your groceries or they put the gift inside of a box with pretty wrapping.
  • "Do you think it would have happened if you hadn't been dressed that way? If you hadn't been there at that time of night? If you hadn't gone to that event alone?" - there are many version of this theme.
  • "You should have spoken up when you first felt uncomfortable."
  • "You should have kicked him in the nuts."
  • "Why didn't you run?"
I could go on for pages, but I'm sure the point is made.

It can feel sometimes (maybe a lot of the time) like everyone wants you to accept the gift . . . everyone except you and your therapist . . . and the members of this community.

OK. So, the thing is, I already accepted the gift. I was f***ing six years old when it was given to me the first time. How in the world was I supposed to know what was inside? How was I supposed to understand I even had a choice not to accept it?! HOW, DAMNIT?!

<uh, oh . . . definitely feeling angry again>

And, it wasn't just one gift. Shame was given to me repeatedly. Age 7, age 8, age 9, age 10, and so on. Over and over, a new gift. There are so many of them they fill an entire mansion. Room upon room of vile boxes full of shame.

Oh sure: "here, you can have it back."

That helped! I feel better now.

If I load all of the boxes into a bomb and bring together the ten thousand messengers who gave them to me then drop the bomb on them and wipe them off the face of the Earth, then I'll feel like I gave the gift back to them.

<Ugh. How's that for angry?>

Photo
yarnfoolishness
Mar 27 2014 12:39 PM

Appropriately Angry.  Yes.  :)

Your analogy from your T about the 'gift' is wonderful and very helpful.  I especially like the part where you described it as being hidden in a bag of groceries - so apt!

Sending you good thoughts and complete acceptance of your angry feelings. 

As far as I'm concerned, you can be as angry as you like.  :)

Photo
intrepidshe
Mar 27 2014 07:04 PM

Appropriately Angry.  Yes.  smile.png

Your analogy from your T about the 'gift' is wonderful and very helpful.  I especially like the part where you described it as being hidden in a bag of groceries - so apt!

Sending you good thoughts and complete acceptance of your angry feelings. 

As far as I'm concerned, you can be as angry as you like.  smile.png

Thanks Yarn! It was great to tell my T today I'm starting to feel emotions and not just physical symptoms of emotions.

Photo
yarnfoolishness
Mar 28 2014 07:24 PM

I hear you!

About Intrepid She

This is a moderated PUBLIC blog. This blog is a therapeutic tool I am using to help me get over my fear of doctors, which is made difficult by a history of abuse by them, to learn to grieve, and ultimately to integrate my dis-integrated heart.

View postings specific to health care.

View postings specific to touch.

View postings specific to crying.

The content of this blog is not appropriate for children or for anyone who might be triggered by reading about sexual abuse.

To the many others walking your own version of this path, I wish you well on your journey. -Intrepid

More Healing:

- Framed and Unashamed

- Yarnfoolishness' Journal

- Susanna's Blog

- What's Inside my Head?

- Healing Resources

Search My Blog

March 2015

S M T W T F S
29 30 31    

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.