Photo

Day 84: But I Can't Breathe

Posted by intrepidshe , in Healing Work 04 March 2014 · 293 views

Mar. 4, 2014 (13 Days Into Becoming):

I have a lot of problems with breathing. I have strange, and serious allergies. I have asthma. I experience spasms of the muscles between my ribs that feel like a knife is stabbing me. I sometimes just have a heaviness to my chest that feels like it's too difficult to do the work of breathing.

Sometimes I actually can't breathe. There are certain substances that close my airway. Also, cold air and exercise can induce my asthma. I was diagnosed with allergies and asthma when I was in my early 30s because my youngest child was diagnosed. We had visited the emergency department three times in a matter of weeks. Colleagues at work were convinced my son had asthma and that I did as well. But, it took a snide, condescending comment from an ER nurse to get me to seriously consider the possibility.

It was the third 3 am (on a Sunday) visit to the hospital. Our son had that barking cough (like a seal), along with a runny nose, that describes croup. At 3 am when your child is fighting for air you go to the hospital. I know well enough that I can't treat a breathing emergency at home. So, on this third visit the nurse says to me, "you must be a new mom."

She patted my arm as she said it. Posted Image

I think I might have held my tongue if she hadn't touched me. But, her overly-familiar manner and her condescending tone (combined with my physical exhaustion) sparked my ferocity. I yelled at her she had no idea what she was talking about. I had an older child whom we had never taken to the emergency room. I said she must expect a parent facing a child's breathing emergency at 3 in the morning to just wait until the peds clinic opened and hope for the best until then. She must expect that we parents have the knowledge and tools of emergency room personnel, in which case, "why the hell should there even be emergency departments?!" I screamed at her to get out of the room and that I didn't want to so much as lay eyes on her again.

Yeah, I over reacted. For sure.

I am realizing that a big part of my pattern is having a store of rage consequent to the abuses I experienced at the hands of health care providers, as well as the shame I carried for so long about health care in general.

The only time I feel my emotions is when they combust unexpectedly in situations that spark anger.

The day after this very loud ER visit I was thinking about how angry I was at that nurse. (I know my fury with the nurse was anger at my mom that exploded full force.) I realized I needed to take my son to a pulmonologist. For his sake I was not going to ignore his cough, or let that nurse belittle us. We had the appointment not long after that and, looking at the information we put on the family history the doctor said, "Oh, you have asthma too."

This was the last thing I expected to hear. We were there about my son. But, he explained that it is often hereditary. He scheduled me for an appointment as well. Sure enough, both my son and I have asthma. And, I have a slew of allergies. All of the years that I have coughed and felt my chest become a vice, I have been struggling to breathe. I wasn't just afraid to compete, afraid to lose. I wasn't able to breathe!

I know deep down I feel a great deal of anger about this toward my mom. Posted Image

I can't access those feelings until something accidently pokes through my armor (like that stupid nurse).

There is another aspect to this story that I am thinking about tonight. It's my personal associations with breathing. I'm sure I would have allergies and asthma regardless, because my parents were heavy smokers. Breathing problems were pretty much guaranteed. But, a fair number of my sensitivities are related to child abuse, neglect, CSA and SA.

From the neglect standpoint, there was my mom's willful disregard of my symptoms. For example, I was a healthy kid who ran and played and spent endless hours outside. But, one summer when I was on the swim team I couldn't finish my first (and it turned out last) race. I got part way through the second lap and my lungs felt like they caught fire. My chest felt like a vice. It felt like I was choking on the water. I stopped on the side of the pool and climbed out, terrified. My mom came and quickly grabbed me, embarrassed for it to be her child who didn't finish the race. She said, "you just started coughing because you were losing."

I was nine years old. Posted Image

I didn't know there was something that could cause someone to have trouble breathing. And, I was well aware that I was losing. I could not swim anywhere near as fast as other kids. I couldn't run as far, either. So, I absorbed the shame she gave me and believed my coughing wasn't real. (To this day my mom doesn't believe I have asthma or that asthma is a legitimate diagnosis . . . unless one of her friends has it.)

Breathing has not only been physically inhibited for me, but also emotionally hazardous.
  • Cigarette smoke breath
  • Red wine breath
  • Perfume mixed with cigarette smoke
  • Coffee breath
  • Bubble gum
  • Hospital rooms
These were all smells I experienced during abuse. These are all smells that trigger asthma and/or migraines. I cannot be in the presence of any of these smells without being triggered. (It's hard to avoid the smell of perfume. Why do so many women wear so much of it?!)

A few months ago I got in a fight with a woman on an airplane. I could have avoided the fight if I had felt the slightest compassion for the women. I knew she was mentally unhealthy. I read it on her instantaneously. But, I was geared up for a fight because she smelled of alcohol, perfume, and cigarette smoke. I was instantly angry just because of her smell. I didn't start anything with her, but when she did (as I knew she would) I was more than happy to engage in her craziness, and to humiliate her.Posted Image

So, my lesson today:

In addition to needing safe touch, I also need to be able to breathe, and to be able to care for my symptoms without shame. I need to be able to avoid the asthma triggers without feeling guilty or embarrassed.

Hi intrepid. I hear what you say about emergency department condescension to parents and - for me - guilt-tripping.

"I need to be able to avoid the asthma triggers without feeling guilty or embarrassed. "

To help I offer this. What you feel, physically as well as emotionally, matters. If there is something you need to do to stop feeling bad, physically or emotionally, then do it.

I am sorry for your experience as a child - that your asthma wasn't identified and treated.

This matters. If it stopped you running and playing as much as others, it was neglect not to notice this. I am sorry this happened to you.

I'm sorry you were not given what you needed and deserved as a child. I'm so glad you are giving your children the care and support they need and deserve :)

What you say about emotion is very insightful and I hope you will find a way to connect with your emotions more when the time is right.

:metoyou:
Photo
yarnfoolishness
Mar 05 2014 11:20 AM

I'm sorry for what you experienced.  It's wrong.  You needed care then, and you need care now. 

Good for you for taking care of your child, for not allowing anyone to minimize your awareness of how much care was needed.

Yes.  We do need to be able to care for our symptoms without shame.  We do need to be able to avoid the asthma triggers without embarrassment.

:metoyou:

Photo
intrepidshe
Mar 05 2014 08:53 PM

Hi intrepid. I hear what you say about emergency department condescension to parents and - for me - guilt-tripping.

"I need to be able to avoid the asthma triggers without feeling guilty or embarrassed. "

To help I offer this. What you feel, physically as well as emotionally, matters. If there is something you need to do to stop feeling bad, physically or emotionally, then do it.

I am sorry for your experience as a child - that your asthma wasn't identified and treated.

This matters. If it stopped you running and playing as much as others, it was neglect not to notice this. I am sorry this happened to you.

Thanks MacGyver. It does help to be affirmed in my needs. I always shy away from admitting my fears and thoughts. But, I find by being open and forthright I learn from others and I get better at coping with my thoughts, or even changing them.

It's a slow process. I get frustrated and feel disappointed in myself. But, talking about it with you all here keeps me from having all of this trapped inside me like a poison.

Photo
intrepidshe
Mar 05 2014 08:54 PM

I'm sorry you were not given what you needed and deserved as a child. I'm so glad you are giving your children the care and support they need and deserve smile.png

What you say about emotion is very insightful and I hope you will find a way to connect with your emotions more when the time is right.

metoyou.gif

Thanks Susanna! I really hope to find my emotional self. I feel like I am digging her out of the rubble from a collapsed building.

Photo
intrepidshe
Mar 05 2014 08:57 PM

I'm sorry for what you experienced.  It's wrong.  You needed care then, and you need care now. 

Good for you for taking care of your child, for not allowing anyone to minimize your awareness of how much care was needed.

Yes.  We do need to be able to care for our symptoms without shame.  We do need to be able to avoid the asthma triggers without embarrassment.

metoyou.gif

Right on, Yarn. I finally started with my current job to tell people who work close to me that I have these sensitivities. I ask for their help in avoiding asthma triggers. They are mostly OK with it. People often forget. It's hard to have to keep reminding. I feel like a pest. But, I remind myself that it's better than having an asthma attack at work. That would really scare them. And, could be dangerous for me.

My healing work on this issue is  about being totally OK with expressing this need over and over again.

About Intrepid She

This is a moderated PUBLIC blog. This blog is a therapeutic tool I am using to help me get over my fear of doctors (which is made difficult by a history of abuse by them) to learn to grieve, and ultimately to integrate my dis-integrated heart.

View postings specific to health care.

View postings specific to touch.

View postings specific to crying.

The content of this blog is not appropriate for children or for anyone who might be triggered by reading about sexual abuse.

To the many others walking your own version of this path, I wish you well on your journey. -Intrepid

More Healing:

- Framed and Unashamed

- Yarnfoolishness' Journal

- Susanna's Blog

- What's Inside my Head?

- Healing Resources

Search My Blog

Contact Me Outside Pandys

I can be reached by email at a Gmail account based on my userid here in Pandys. I'm sure you can piece it together. I won't enter the address here because of bots that read email addresses from screens. I really don't want spam. But I wanted people outside of Pandys to be able to reach me.

July 2016

S M T W T F S
      1 2

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.